Which rifle should I take on my Alaskan moose hunt in September?

z987k

WKR
completely understood. But if you think the guy hunting moose as a local after work wouldn't hunt differently if he had to travel halfway around the world to do it, you're wrong. Also, misses happen. Misses of the "ideal" spot you were aiming for. wouldn't it be nice to know if you do screw up that the gun could compensate and give you an extra, say, 10% efficacy? Especially if you can handle the gun?
I'll be in moose camp in a few days. We'll have a 30-06 and 280ai both in the 160gr range. It'll do the job if it's in a leathal zone and it won't if it's in the guts. But then neither would a 338mag. Anything short of a cannon that takes the back half of the moose off will require a follow up if it's a crap shot.

WMR

FNG
Best rifle to gut shoot a moose? Really?? I think I'd break out my old .318 Disembowler, though it does leave an unsightly mess! Nah, just don't shoot 'em in the guts. A quartering shot might mean the need to break a shoulder or penetrate a full paunch, though. I'd personally choose a tough bullet for that reason alone. I'm sure a careful shooter could get by with most any big game round, especially if he shoots through the ribs. Best of luck to all.

z987k

WKR
I'd like to back up my you don't need a magnum with a source - ADFG.

"Moose or brown bear hit in the gut with a large caliber magnum rifle such as the popular .338 Winchester® Magnum is wounded and just as likely to escape as if it had been hit with a small caliber rifle such as the .243 Winchester®. The bore size, bullet weight, and velocity are of secondary importance to precise bullet placement in the vital heart-lung area."

roymunson

WKR
This is true, but on a mistaken bad shot, you're gonna tell me you'd be just as happy with a 243 as with a 338?

Lets say you drift too far forward and put a bullet on the knuckle of the scapula. a 243 has just as much chance to kill it as a 338?

I guess this is where I leave the chat.

Bado20

FNG
Yeah, sorry…its been a rollercoaster ride for sure. Didn’t think my bullet choice would take it over. I feel like I ended up in a good spot though. My 280 AI should be here next week and hopefully I can track down some ammo for it by September :) I personally don’t see the difference between a 162gr bullet out of a 280AI and a 168gr bullet out of a 308 out to 3 or 400 yards. Seems like the 280 AI is getting more love and acceptance for moose tho…lol. I am excited, I have been wanting a 280 for a while.
I haven't shot a moose with it yet but I have been very happy with my 280AI, took mine mountain goat hunting this summer and it performed excellently with 160gr Accubonds.

wyosam

WKR
I don’t really feel like a 280AI is an upgrade to a 6.5 prc or 6.5 creedmoor or 308. I don’t even know if my ridgeline fft is an upgrade over the Seekins or MPP. They are all shooting close to the same weight bullet. 280 AI has been on my bucket list for a while. Debated long and hard between that and the 6.5 PRC a few years ago. Excuse to scratch an itch I suppose. If my 223 had a faster twist barrel and could shoot the 77 tmks, it would have been on the list. Let me rephrase, I would take my 6mm CM shooting 108gr eldms or my 6.5 prc with 147 eldms or a 280AI shooting 168 bergers over a 338 shooting 225gr accubonds for a gut shot animal.

You were leaning toward a short barreled .308. A .284 168 at “close to 3000” is a pretty significant step up from the CM or that .308. If you’re getting anywhere near 3k with that bullet from a 280ai, I suspect it has the same problem the PRC did- barrel is on the long side for the thick stuff.

OP
PredatorSlayer
You were leaning toward a short barreled .308. A .284 168 at “close to 3000” is a pretty significant step up from the CM or that .308. If you’re getting anywhere near 3k with that bullet from a 280ai, I suspect it has the same problem the PRC did- barrel is on the long side for the thick stuff.
I am getting 2900 fps out of a 22” barrel.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
#2. The Swedes have been dropping moose for decades with 6.5x55. I’ve tipped over my share of them. They are obviously larger than a Rocky Mountain bull elk but nowhere nearly as tough to put down. Get within a couple hundred yards and you’ll be fine.
Swedish moose are very small.

fwafwow

WKR
Sorry to have been so late (just started today) to this thread. Went a bit off the rails into dumpster fire territory, but glad the OP was successful. Looking forward to pictures.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I know I got a lot of pushback on my bullet selection. My buddy ended up shooting his moose with my rifle a couple days ago. He put 5 rounds in it before it hit the ground. The first one was straight on through the chest at 100 yards. The next 4 were all in the lungs with 3 complete passthroughs and one found in the hide. The lungs were jello. I was very impressed with the bergers performance on both moose.