Which youth rifle?

Rich M

WKR
243 might be a bit much for 6 yo. 300 BO, 223, 357 mag, 7.62x39 are more applicable once you get past the .22 stage.

Northpark

WKR
Best option is AR-15. That gun is built for kids. Suppressor makes it even better.

Next best is a bolt action, and the top choice is likely a Tikka. Chop barrel and add suppressor to make it even better.
I’ll second that AR statement as well. I have two kids 8 and 10. One prefers a single shot CVA scout in .300BLK and one prefers an AR in 5.56 or 6 ARC.

Dukhtr3

FNG
My boy has a 243 TC compass compressed. He was 8 when he started shooting it. I seen one for $300 new in box not to look ago. I have it shooting .5 moa on cheap 100 gr interlock reloads. Definitely start on a 223 suppressed starting out though.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thanks for the information everyone, this will be her rifle but not where she starts. She has a small .22, I have a suppressed ar in 5.56 and 300 blackout. I went ahead and purchased the CVA scout threaded in .243 and fluted so we can run the suppressor on it also. She will slowly move from .22 to the 5.56 ar with 55gr and go from there if she’s comfortable. Trying to keep it as fun as possible and keep her involved. She chose to go this route then when she’s older pick out exactly what she wants.

We put together a Savage UL in 6.5 prc for our 8 year old son. He’s on the smaller than average size so I put it in an XLR chassis so the LOP could be shortened for him. I was able to get it to 10.75” before the bolt would hit the cheek weld. It’s not a gun that he can pack and still hunt with. It’s a set up on bipod and bag gun for now. As he grows we can slide the buttstock back. The TBAC 7” can reduces the recoil enough that he likes to shoot it. He said he likes the TiPro 4 port brake better. He took his first deer this year at 460 yards. One shot boom flop.
IMG_3906.jpg
B9B28D84-4FB0-49DE-B541-66EAAF6B30F1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work, Brad. At 460 yards too.

I'm in the process of acquiring parts to assemble 223 guns for my boys. I am looking at the same chassis but with their TR-2 stock. What stock is that on your rifle?

I'm going to show your post to my boys when they wake up.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
If you reload you can try a reduced load with some H4895, Hodgdon says you can load 60% of max with that powder, should bring down to about 223 levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spdrman

WKR
Like Brad mentioned I really like the Chassis setup for little hunters as well, getting a comfortable length of pull and good view through the scope with an adjustable cheek riser helps them a ton. I started my boys on 22-250’s and they still shoot them a lot. Pending on what big game animal we’re hunting they bounce between a 260, 300wsm or 300 prc. For elk we always use a 300, deer I let them decide which gun they grab. all are suppressed and set them all up with chasiss’s to have a similar feel for them.

Not sure what suppressor you have, I have several and just got approved on some R30’s and R6.5’s this fall. They have ports at the end that really surprised me with how well they reduce recoil, has me considering adding an Omega or scythe to the collection to help mange recoil even more than my other suppressors.

Full arca rails make it quick and easy to attach to a tripod if we can’t prone out to use the bipod.
My older boy shot his buck sitting off a tripod and his bull standing off the tripod, younger boy was able to prone out on his bull and shot his buck standing off the tripod. Without the speed of throwing his gun on the tripod not sure he would of got his buck.

IMG_9501.jpegIMG_8900.jpegIMG_8637.jpegIMG_8264.jpeg

Tikka in a .243 is what I started my 7yo son on and 11 yo daughter. My oldest son was 12 and liked the 6.5cm as did the 11yo daughter (twins). Tikka makes a great setup for kids and am looking at threading the barrels.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I decided on the Cva scout compact in 300 bo for the simplicity of it. No regrets.

RS3579

WKR
I went with the TC Encore frame.Look at the hobbit rifle thread. All components listed. Pictured is a 18” 7mm-08.

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpeg
    IMG_0604.jpeg
    772.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Brew1up

FNG
I have a bolt 22-250 and a 243 but my son goes for the AR 300 BO, all three are shot suppressed. He has 3 deer dropped with 300 BO.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
We're going to try a 6.5 Grendal AR for kids this year. Main reason is I already had a lot of the parts so it was the cheapest option. One thing to think about is that you can carry a bolt action rifle empty and easy a cartridge in fairly quietly. That AR is pretty loud when you rack the bolt. But it is something I'm willing to deal with, at least for some hunts. It won't be a problem on bear baits (we hunt ready to go). For spot and stalk I'll just have to chamber it before the final approach. The upside is that I can break the rifle down for the hike out if i want to.

The AR may not be as quiet as a bolt action or single shot, but chambering a round doesn't have to be loud. Just insert a round into the chamber and ease the bolt forward. Use the forward assist or push on the carrier to send it home. As long as you know what the chambered bolt looks like, this method works fine.

Baddog

WKR
Like Brad mentioned I really like the Chassis setup for little hunters as well, getting a comfortable length of pull and good view through the scope with an adjustable cheek riser helps them a ton. I started my boys on 22-250’s and they still shoot them a lot. Pending on what big game animal we’re hunting they bounce between a 260, 300wsm or 300 prc. For elk we always use a 300, deer I let them decide which gun they grab. all are suppressed and set them all up with chasiss’s to have a similar feel for them.

Not sure what suppressor you have, I have several and just got approved on some R30’s and R6.5’s this fall. They have ports at the end that really surprised me with how well they reduce recoil, has me considering adding an Omega or scythe to the collection to help mange recoil even more than my other suppressors.

Full arca rails make it quick and easy to attach to a tripod if we can’t prone out to use the bipod.
My older boy shot his buck sitting off a tripod and his bull standing off the tripod, younger boy was able to prone out on his bull and shot his buck standing off the tripod. Without the speed of throwing his gun on the tripod not sure he would of got his buck.

View attachment 652273View attachment 652274View attachment 652275View attachment 652276
Will you adopt me and take me hunting 😂
I won’t talk back much and can afford to buy the gas!