Which youth rifle?

spdrman

WKR
Will you adopt me and take me hunting šŸ˜‚
I wonā€™t talk back much and can afford to buy the gas!
Man, people have hunting buddies that arenā€™t mouthy and offer to help cover expenses?!? I might need to look into this šŸ˜‚

crowlja

FNG
The Thompson Center Encore was a great rifle for childern. I grew up with this rifle just getting different barrels as I got older. Starting out with the .243, progressing to .308 & .30-06, then .300WM.

I don't believe T/C still has this in current production, but I'm sure you can find them used with a couple different barrel options. None of my barrels were threaded, but a good gunsmith can help with that.

JRS3

FNG
The Thompson Center Encore was a great rifle for childern. I grew up with this rifle just getting different barrels as I got older. Starting out with the .243, progressing to .308 & .30-06, then .300WM.
That is good advice.

I have an Encore and have been kicking around the idea of having MGM build a threaded 6mm CM barrel for a youth setup.

The problem with the Encore route is threefold.

1. Receivers are discontinued and pricey.
2. Custom barrels cost as much as complete rifles.
3. You can't upgrade the design.

It was and is a clever firearm, but unless youā€™re already an owner, buying a TC single-shot now makes little sense.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
An economical option is the the Mossberg Patriot Bantams. Not high end but very functional.
That's what I went to after 22lr for my son. Patriot Bantam in 7mm-08. Doesn't kick much more than the 22 with 120 grain reduced recoil loads and can grow with them. Took a mule deer last year no problem with that load and you can load it up to heavier bullets for elk etc.