Whitetail outerwear

It's been beat to death, but I'll ask it again. I'm looking to start building a system for whitetail hunting, with some crossover to big game, turkey, etc. Not too worried about cost, but no need to spend extra money. I've primarily been eyeing the new Proximity system as well as the sitka fanatic/stratus/traverse and the nomad cottonwood but I'm not tied to a brand. Ideally I'd prefer something that requires minimal layering to save time and bulk. Ideal temp range will be between 50-20s. Something like the nomad set seems like a great option,particularly for the price but not sure if it'll provide much more warmth than a fleece. I'd prefer something with some insulation (primaloft, etc) I've also just considered getting a 90$ set at walmart and being done with it

Thanks for the info guys

Last edited:

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah there are so many choices out there and a lot of good items. Are you rifle or bow hunting?

For whitetail I run the fanatic jacket and just added the stratus pants. I have merino base layers and normally wear an insulation piece under as well. I have been extremely happy with the fanatic jacket.

West hunts I wear timberlines pants, and a Grumman puffy. Same on base layers and have used random mid layers. Trying the ambient hoody this year.

You can definitely crossover on some pieces but I prefer a much heavier jacket when whitetail stand hunts. Hence the fanatic.

I just picked up a like new Fanatic set off the classifieds here. Very nice clothing but it's going to have to be in the 30's or lower to wear it. The fit is great and it shouldn't require a lot of layers to stay warm. It isn't cheap but my old bibs and go to jacket were probably at least 15 years old so I was due for an upgrade. I am still using the Russel APX line for warmer sits. It's a bit overwhelming due to all the choices but I think the Fanatic line up is going to be awesome for the last half of deer season in north central IL.

OP
Ferrulewax
I just picked up a like new Fanatic set off the classifieds here. Very nice clothing but it's going to have to be in the 30's or lower to wear it. The fit is great and it shouldn't require a lot of layers to stay warm. It isn't cheap but my old bibs and go to jacket were probably at least 15 years old so I was due for an upgrade. I am still using the Russel APX line for warmer sits. It's a bit overwhelming due to all the choices but I think the Fanatic line up is going to be awesome for the last half of deer season in north central IL.
I'm in the southeast so the fanatic line will be too warm for me I'm thinking, but we definitely get some days into the teens in the mornings. I also tend to run cold as well.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Badlands
I have or had just about everything out there and my Badlands gets worn a lot when I am whitetail hunting
Fanatic and Sanctuary would both be too warm/bulky for you. Cottonwood is nice but also pretty warm for the south imo.
FL origin hoody is awesome
Get 2 different weights of merino base layers and build from that

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
For 30 - 50 the Stratus line is what you are looking for. You can push the Stratus down into the 20s but the Fanatic line is much better for 20 - 30.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Fanatic will be too warm for anything above 35. Go with the stratus set with the Celsius and equinox midis for the cold days, and then fill in with the mountain or traverse pants and jacket of your choice for early season and going out west.

OP
Ferrulewax
For 30 - 50 the Stratus line is what you are looking for. You can push the Stratus down into the 20s but the Fanatic line is much better for 20 - 30.
Is the stratus insulated or just fleece with windstopper?

I'm in the First Lite Crowd. I'm in SC but the season ends here January 1st so not quite as cold during the bulk of the season. Family land in Alabama has me hunting till February 15th and we can see some colder temps there/then.

I generally wear Corrugate Guide pants and the Sawtooth Hybrid Jacket. If I know that I'll be near briars and thick pine thickets, I'll wear the pair of Sawbuck (I think that's what they're called) brush pants. I layer under that accordingly. I also have the Uncomphagre Puffy that I'll carry in and use if needed. If it's particularly cold, I have a Cabelas Wooltimate Winshear Jacket that I'll wear over the Sawtooth. Generally very comfy in that set up. I have an older pair of Cabelas Fleece pants that I can wear too, but I've gotten a bit bigger in the waste for those and they're restrictive with my saddle set up.

I like the First Lite Corrugate Pants as they give me better range of motion and flexibility when Saddle Hunting, setting up my climbing sticks, etc.

Is the stratus insulated or just fleece with windstopper?

Not insulated, it's a fleece face fabric, but basically it's their windstopper whitetail softshell. I used it for one season and it is a nice system. I ended up getting rid of it because I wanted to consolidate my hunting clothes (too many that sat unused). For anything warmer than 40 I now have just the new Jetstream in EVII. I like it way more than the stratus, dwr is better. Fit is better too, more room for an insulated layer underneath without compressing the insulation.

OP
Ferrulewax
Will you be sitting in a blind or tree stand? Hiking in or atv access?
Tree stand and ground hunting. Mostly short hikes in 1/4 to 1 miles but some up to a few miles (in these cases i would completely change at the stand)

Tree stand and ground hunting. Mostly short hikes in 1/4 to 1 miles but some up to a few miles (in these cases i would completely change at the stand)
What I learned was walking in wearing just base layers and packing my clothes when I could was awesome. It doesn’t get super cold in sc though. And trying to climb wearing bibs and set a hang on was rough.

ChuckC

WKR
I hunt in SE Arkansas and have temps close to you. I run the Stratus set for low 40’s to 50 with just a mid wool baselayers. I layer with traverse hoody and midi pants once down in 30’s underneath. I hunted with this set up last year at 28 with 15 mph winds. I strap my stratus jacket and bibs to my pack and mid layers if in need them to my pack and walk in in baselayers. Just layer over my harness in the stand. Newer stratus jacket has a pass through slit for harness to go through without unhooking harness.

ChuckC

WKR
I might add that the Stratus set with the double fleece layers with the Gore windstopper in between makes it warmer than you think and warmer than it’s weight. Plus it’s very quiet.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried it all from cotton to wool to Sitka and now KUIU. KUIU is all I wear, it's very comfortable and more affordable than Sitka, fits better too. Big sale starting today. Got the new Proximity pants for a Kansas hunt later this month.

Sitka stratus is the most versatile whitetail stuff e ever owned. Just keep it as an outer and layer up or down depending on temps. Can be extremely comfortable from 60* down to as cold as you want. Super quiet, durable, totally windproof. I cant ask for much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something to consider is the new Badlands Silens set... I wear a variety of brands and it's pretty nice stuff!