whitetail that don't brake the bank ?

JAE

FNG
Yeah eastern full size whitetail would be what I’m after!

Scottyboy

WKR
If you ever come to Minnesota to hunt them (and traveling from UT to do so seems crazy) I’ll put you up on my land and you will shoot a deer. bow, gun, or muzzleloader. If you want a “decent” buck come early. Just want to shoot a buck and maybe a doe (*depending on the year if we can get more than 1 tag) come anytime

If you ever come to Minnesota to hunt them (and traveling from UT to do so seems crazy) I’ll put you up on my land and you will shoot a deer. bow, gun, or muzzleloader. If you want a “decent” buck come early. Just want to shoot a buck and maybe a doe (*depending on the year if we can get more than 1 tag) come anytime
What an absolutely kind offer!

JAE

FNG
Thanks so much I really want to try and make it happen! I’m going to look into Minnesotas seasons and see if I can pull one off if not this fall next year!!

OP
Stones

Stones

FNG
It’s fun I have hunted them but want to hunt the big whitetail

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re from Utah and hoping to hunt big whitetail for cheap, your options are limited, and chances of success even more so. I’d probably be focusing on Kansas WIHA properties, but I can’t imagine anyone is going to give you any handouts. It’s going to take a lot of research on your part and that research will probably include boots on the ground before hunting season begins. It will likely also include many frustrating moments as you, and many other hunters, like you are competing for the same limited resource. If you simply want to kill a good representative of the species, I would suggest you look at northern Idaho. Wyoming is also a viable option, but many of the Whitetail live on private ground, and they’ve had a few significant bouts of disease lately. Good luck, figuring it all out is 1/2 the fun.

Last edited:
Montana.

South Dakota. You could draw a tag west river rifle in a year or two and the tags aren’t expensive. Also can draw the black hills. Probably not going to get a big buck in the hills, but you could do a west river and a black hills hunt the same year.

North Dakota. Hard to draw a rifle tag, archery is otc for whitetails.

Those are easy/close options with potential for a nice representation.

JAE

FNG
Montana.

South Dakota. You could draw a tag west river rifle in a year or two and the tags aren’t expensive. Also can draw the black hills. Probably not going to get a big buck in the hills, but you could do a west river and a black hills hunt the same year.

North Dakota. Hard to draw a rifle tag, archery is otc for whitetails.

Those are easy/close options with potential for a nice representation.
Thanks for the info I'll look into South Dakota!

OP
Stones

Stones

FNG
Thanks for all the information. Like Jae said I’m willing to drive about anywhere.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Is there much public land access in Nebraska that a guy could get a tag on even if it took a couple years?
Yes and it doesn't take a couple years.We went mule deer hunting there once for reasons I can't remember and ended up shooting 10 whitetails.

Reactions: JAE
The Adirondacks in northern New York offer lots of public land, and lots of elbow room. There are some monsters roaming those ridges, but you’ll work for them. Lots of camping opportunities, as well as very affordable lodging.

CMF

WKR
Probably depends if you're hunting archery or gun seasons how much pressure there is.

Doubt there's any slam dunks where you can go for cheap whenever you want, have tons of public, prime hunting, and little pressure.
^this, if there is, please PM, lol

You can pick two:
little pressure, big bucks, public land

KenLee

WKR
I personally view whitetail as a food source, so I have no opposition to that either. 😀
My brother's wife won't cook deer or eat it, and he doesn't cook. Between the 2 of us and the ladies and kids I take hunting, I handle 30-60 whitetail year for the last 45 years. Probably more before my Daddy died in 94. We eat the heck out of it, including jerky and hash. Give some away.
I buy some fresh pork sausage from a neighbor and no beef.

Reactions: BLJ
Wayne National Forest in Southern Ohio. Big Timber type hunting with good access and not many hunters. We got too old to do it but hunted there with great success every year for 25 years. Used to be full of hunters but since about 2007 it has been like having the place to ourselves. The last 3 years we have hunted farms so I haven't been there since. Big timber and very hilly for Ohio. Cheap enough for sure.

OP
Stones

Stones

FNG
Thanks for everyone’s input hopefully I’ll be able to get something done this fall

IW17

FNG
Ohio

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Not anymore. Unless you're planning on hunting early or late archery. Second half of October through end of November, our public land is crawling with hunters. Then our gun week, extra gun weekend and muzzleloader follow. Also very crowded.