Why the NR HATE?? Let's fix it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Schoolhousegrizz
What is this value exactly? Tell me please?
Listen to the latest rokcast. There is a Muley fanatic chapter in Virginia (where there is no mule deer) they donated a ton of money to help build a highway crossing just south of Kemmerer Wyoming. Many of the members hunt in Wyoming. They would not have donated that money if they could never hunt in Wyoming. That is just one example. Plus don't you enjoy traveling the West hunting?

Gobbler36

WKR
Goodness if we don't change our attitudes, opinions and views we will all be hunting less. Why the NR hate? Any NR is welcome to my state, I would not even mind if we increased NR tags. This selfishness will lead to all of us losing hunting opportunities. We have got to get out of our own way and stop shooting ourselves in the foot. My state is 90-10, others are far more giving, I know and I get it. Maybe just maybe we should be pushing for states like Utah, Nevada etc. To move to 80-20 instead of pushing every other state to go to 90-10. Some will laugh at this, but it is possible, the states bring in more money from NR's.

Let's get it rolling, I just need to figure out how. Any ideas, thoughts?

I'm serious, rokslide has enough following and power to get something like this going. What say you @robby denning

I would head it up anyway I can. I'm just not sure where to start.
Where do you live ?

KurtR

WKR
Listen to the latest rokcast. There is a Muley fanatic chapter in Virginia (where there is no mule deer) they donated a ton of money to help build a highway crossing just south of Kemmerer Wyoming. Many of the members hunt in Wyoming. They would not have donated that money if they could never hunt in Wyoming. That is just one example. Plus don't you enjoy traveling the West hunting?

Lawnboi

WKR
I see the word “entitled” only applies to NR applicants, not to residents owning 1/4 acre of land in town expecting to hunt freely on someone else’s property so long as it is within the boundaries of the state they just moved to.

Ah, I understand now.

Get off my lawn you entitled NR! I own this 1/4 acre and everything else within this state boundary!
Locals only!!!

wyogoat

WKR
I just hope non-resident opportunity doesn't continue to diminish. There is value in having non-residents hunt our states. I don't think anyone can argue that.
I agree with this. And every Wyoming resident hunter I know also supports non res opportunities.
The way these threads go is like the residents decide this. We aren’t seeing these changes on ballots or pushing them during legislature but admittedly I don’t hang out with any outfitters. There are no pitchfork wielding resident hunters at the capitol screaming for fewer non res hunter opportunities.
I don’t know what the sweet spot is but regardless, there will be complaining, and probably still not from resident hunters.

Gobbler36

WKR
I see

I’m curious so you would rather there be more opportunity for me to come to Utah to be able to hunt deer that would potentially take away opportunity from you or someone that lives there?
even given the growth of the resident population growth of your state?

I see

I’m curious so you would rather there be more opportunity for me to come to Utah to be able to hunt deer that would potentially take away opportunity from you or someone that lives there?
He’s one of the only ones that lives in a western state

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
I see

Yes, we get 90% that is plenty. Other states are much more generous, Colorado and Wyoming for example. We are all hunters we are all Americans. It will be a sad day when we can no longer hunt the rest of the West. I would not trade the memories and adventures I have had hunting out of state for anything. I want my kids and others to have the same chance to hunt the vast areas of the West, not just our home state.

Kopmana

FNG
Goodness if we don't change our attitudes, opinions and views we will all be hunting less. Why the NR hate? Any NR is welcome to my state, I would not even mind if we increased NR tags. This selfishness will lead to all of us losing hunting opportunities. We have got to get out of our own way and stop shooting ourselves in the foot. My state is 90-10, others are far more giving, I know and I get it. Maybe just maybe we should be pushing for states like Utah, Nevada etc. To move to 80-20 instead of pushing every other state to go to 90-10. Some will laugh at this, but it is possible, the states bring in more money from NR's.

I'm serious, rokslide has enough following and power to get something like this going. What say you @robby denning

I would head it up anyway I can. I'm just not sure where to start.I t

I would head it up anyway I can. I'm just not sure where to start.
I agree, Its sad to see residents of different states wanting to exclude nonresidents more and more. I feel it is a selfish trait. In most cases nonresident hunters are some of the most respecting of the land and animals, and pay the most into state agency funds to do what they love, and understand the big picture. I am a resident of South Dakota, and would love if we offered 10% of our elk tags to nonresidents. The resource is so small that even if we don't offer any elk tags to nonresidents currently, it still takes 25 years to draw a Bull tag in the black Hills. I have heard South Dakotans say, that is reason enough to not offer any tags to nonresidents. I disagree completely, no matter what there will be 1000 new residents of SD applying each year for these tags as the state grows. makes no difference if we do a lottery draw for 10 or so nonresident bull elk tags. The revenue from a lottery like this could be used to grow our herd here in SD. And Maybe someday when my son grows up and moves out of SD, he could still apply and possibly draw an elk tag as a nonresident and I could help him hunt my home state. Pushing to exclude more and more the nonresident hunter is short sighted/selfish. I don't see this among Rokslide members, but hear it all the time in conversation, and read about it online. Residents of other western states are all welcome to come hunt SD every year that you can get a tag, and I will be glad to see you here supporting our local economies.

Last edited:
OP
Schoolhousegrizz
I agree, Its so sad to see residents of states trashing nonresidents. I feel it is a childish/selfish personality trait. In most cases nonresident hunters are some of the most respecting of the land and animals, and pay the most into state agency funds to do what they love, and understand the big picture. I am a resident of South Dakota, and would love if we offered 10% of our elk tags to nonresidents. The resource is so small that even if we don't offer any elk tags to nonresidents currently, it still takes 25 years to draw a Bull tag in the black Hills. I have heard South Dakotans say, that is reason enough to not offer any tags to nonresidents. I disagree completely, no matter what there will be 1000 new residents of SD applying each year for these tags as the state grows. makes no difference if we do a lottery draw for 10 or so nonresident bull elk tags. The revenue from a lottery like this could be used to grow our herd here in SD. And Maybe someday when my son grows up and moves out of SD, he could still apply and possibly draw an elk tag as a nonresident and I could help him hunt my home state. Nonresident hate is short sighted/selfish. You residents of other western states are all welcome to come hunt SD every year that you can get a tag, and will be glad to see you here supporting our local economies.
Hey some of you do see things like me, good to see! You're also welcome to Utah any time and I would be glad to help. Thank you for the post!

wyogoat

WKR
I agree, Its so sad to see residents of states trashing nonresidents. I feel it is a childish/selfish personality trait. In most cases nonresident hunters are some of the most respecting of the land and animals, and pay the most into state agency funds to do what they love, and understand the big picture. I am a resident of South Dakota, and would love if we offered 10% of our elk tags to nonresidents. The resource is so small that even if we don't offer any elk tags to nonresidents currently, it still takes 25 years to draw a Bull tag in the black Hills. I have heard South Dakotans say, that is reason enough to not offer any tags to nonresidents. I disagree completely, no matter what there will be 1000 new residents of SD applying each year for these tags as the state grows. makes no difference if we do a lottery draw for 10 or so nonresident bull elk tags. The revenue from a lottery like this could be used to grow our herd here in SD. And Maybe someday when my son grows up and moves out of SD, he could still apply and possibly draw an elk tag as a nonresident and I could help him hunt my home state. Nonresident hate is short sighted/selfish. You residents of other western states are all welcome to come hunt SD every year that you can get a tag, and will be glad to see you here supporting our local economies.
When have residents of western states in this thread, or any of the many others on the same topic, trashed a non resident? I don’t see that happening. There has, however been plenty of non residents of western states trashing residents.
Don’t just base your opinion on the thread title.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
don't you enjoy traveling the West hunting?
I live in the west and hunt it as I’ve been doing for over 50 years :)

I’d wager that way back before all the monetization of “hunting out west” happened we were all doing just fine taking care of our animals. We did all of our own volunteer work and took care of things as needed. We didn’t need “Johnny big $$$” to buy that expensive auction tag for “conservation”. The monetization of hunting out west is what is ruining or has ruined hunting out west. But alas it’s a new day and the old days are gone. Good luck to you sorting all of this out, you’re going to need it ;)

Gobbler36

WKR

I’d wager that way back before all the monetization of “hunting out west” happened we were all doing just fine taking care of our animals. We did all of our own volunteer work and took care of things as needed. We didn’t need “Johnny big $$$” to buy that expensive auction tag for “conservation”. The monetization of hunting out west is what is ruining or has ruined hunting out west. But alas it’s a new day and the old days are gone. Good luck to you sorting all of this out, you’re going to need it ;)
Agree
it was the monetization of needing to show strangers that you can kill 10 elk a year that has ruined hunting out west for residents and nonresidents. we can only look and blame ourselves for things headed the way they are. leases, landowner tags, draw and application services, the list goes on. to add to all that we have an insatiable thirst to make things easier and easier, dudes all over Idaho dropping $5k-10k on thermal imagin Binos to find deer and elk at night to be able to set up on them in the morning.
we need to check ourselves way before fighting the antis at the moment

OP
Schoolhousegrizz

Thanks!

OP
Schoolhousegrizz
Agree
it was the monetization of needing to show strangers that you can kill 10 elk a year that has ruined hunting out west for residents and nonresidents. we can only look and blame ourselves for things headed the way they are. leases, landowner tags, draw and application services, the list goes on. to add to all that we have an insatiable thirst to make things easier and easier, dudes all over Idaho dropping $5k-10k on thermal imagin Binos to find deer and elk at night to be able to set up on them in the morning.
we need to check ourselves way before fighting the antis at the moment
Agree

Kopmana

FNG
When have residents of western states in this thread, or any of the many others on the same topic, trashed a non resident? I don’t see that happening. There has, however been plenty of non residents of western states trashing residents.
Don’t just base your opinion on the thread title.
Your right, nobody here on Rokslide is trashing anyone.
I was referencing hunters I know personally here in SD and other states, I have a buddy in another western state that tells me he doesn't like nonresidents in his home state. I don't understand it. His head about exploded when I told him people from other countries could hunt his state as nonresidents too! ha ha

It seems like its Residents vs Non-Residents, Outfitters and Land Owners.

There will come a time in the not so distant future when hunting is attacked on a large scale. I would think as hunter I would want as many allies in that fight as possible. There may be a time when residents looks to the non-resident hunters for help in that fight and they might not answer the call

Status
Not open for further replies.