It's Time For Something Better Than Wiggy Waders

Well over a decade I've been carrying Wiggy's Lightweight Waders to AK. I use them only for stream crossings. The concept is excellent: pull-on hip-high waders which stow in a small bag. The problem is they are generally just made of poor materials which will withstand almost no abrasion or stress. I'm coming down on the side of declaring mine as junk. I get 1 or 2 crossings and there are holes in the bootie area which let water pour in. Two of my hunting partners took new Wiggy Waders this year and almost instantly ripped the top (rim) of the waders when they snugged the belt loop webbing. I saw it happen and was...well...pretty unhappy. After going through 6 pair in 11 seasons, I'm over them for good. They're just not trustworthy.

Is there not a need/want for good, durable slip-on waders made for guys to cross streams, sloughs, etc and then remove? I'm talking about a fairly light cordura or other ripstop nylon upper bonded to a tougher fabric bootie. Waterproof. Not snug or form-fitting. Made to slip over hunting boots and pants. Weigh no more than 16 to 24 ounces per pair. A lot of us don't want to hunt all day in waders or hip boots, but may need to go through water once or twice. I'm sort of surprised a company like KUIU or Sitka hasn't seen the potential for these...or maybe I'm just crazy and think there's a market where none exists. Your thoughts?

I'd love to see someone with sewing skills decide to build these on a stronger scale.

blackdawg

WKR
13b9f5564c76c38c7c5d8b2f8359ab8d.jpg
I noticed these in a catalog last night, I know nothing else about them, Chota Outdoor Gear is the companies name, they have a website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kevin Dill
blackdawg....thanks sincerely. Negative on the Chota Hippies simply because they're a stockingfoot wader and require the use of a wader boot.

What I'm talking about is a wader which allows a hunter to wear whatever boot type, weight and warmth preferred. The wader keeps the boot(s) dry and protected while crossing water.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Kevin,

I bought some GoreTex fabric and tape to make a lightweight waterproof case to put my flintlock in. I’m thinking layer some cordura and foam over the bottom and you may be in business...I will look up where I got it.

fatbacks

WKR
My brother in law is a smoke jumper and is awesome with a sewing machine. I am having him build me a pair this winter. We are buying some spectra based fabric for the boot portion and double layering it. I will post up how it turns out.

Btaylor

WKR
Do they make a croc type shoe big enough to put on over your boot? if so, a trash bag would work for the upper. Maybe just sew some velcro straps on a felt sole and pair with the contractor bag.

Trial153

WKR
I would flip a handful of hundreds to simms if they made a pair that when over my boots and had a sticky bottom.

Stid2677

WKR
Mr Kevin, I too have stopped using the Wiggy's for all the reasons you mentioned. The last few years I have been using NSR Paddle pants. They have reenforced knee and ankle material and goretex booties so I can wear my hikers. The top can be pulled up to the armpits for crossings and rafting. I use them as rain pants too and no wet arse when sitting. A bit restrictive when climbing, but I have hiked miles in them.

fLeNHQbh.jpg

JWLtQBZ.jpg

I thought Neo over boots made a hipper but I can’t seem to find them on the net.

I think they were called Sourdough Slippers by Neos. Not currently on their website. Might be worth a call to them, web lists 800-549-9113

Stid2677

WKR
I think they were called Sourdough Slippers by Neos. Not currently on their website. Might be worth a call to them, web lists 800-549-9113

I have the Neos version, which is the same as the Sourdough Slipper, they work Okay, but are heavy at over 5lbs a pair and are bulky to pack. They are worn over your boots, so they have to be huge to fit over mountain boots. Okay for basecamp hunts, too heavy and bulky to pack for me.

Mr Kevin, I too have stopped using the Wiggy's for all the reasons you mentioned. The last few years I have been using NSR Paddle pants. They have reenforced knee and ankle material and goretex booties so I can wear my hikers. The top can be pulled up to the armpits for crossings and rafting. I use them as rain pants too and no wet arse when sitting. A bit restrictive when climbing, but I have hiked miles in them.

fLeNHQbh.jpg

JWLtQBZ.jpg

Any idea what those weigh Steve? Also, you wouldn’t happen to have a link to them would you?

OP
Kevin Dill
Good discussion gents. Count me amongst those who would salivate over a pair of over-the-boot waders made by Simms. I have literally tried to imagine every option I could pursue and most of them don't apply. I don't want waders or pants which are always on or worn continuously. I hunt in mostly upland terrain where the hillsides are dry and even the valley isn't extremely wet. I want something to put on ONLY when crossing water and then stowed the rest of the time. I don't want the waders to dictate my boots or pants. The Wiggy Wader concept is the best I've seen, but the execution is some of the worst. This isn't brain surgery, and any dedicated stitcher could do better in terms of materials and design. The NEOS River Trekker is a superb wader but way too heavy and bulky for carrying throughout the day. I had a pair and sold them.

I've gone so far as to begin researching suitable fabrics for the sole/bootie and the top/leg. I may have to design and craft my own if I want them done light and right.

I know that this isn’t what you’re talking about Kevin but Barney’s Sports Chalet sells a pretty lightweight (11 oz.), hip wader called Glacier Socks. They are not made to go over your boots, which is a bummer, but if you already carry a light weight camp shoe (like crocs or something), and if you carry some kind of microspike, you could use them in combination with these hip waders. They would obviously be a bit more of a PITA then just something that would go right over your boots but I think they would work pretty well.
Frontier Gear of Alaska Glacier Socks – Barneys Sports Chalet

Stid2677

WKR
I know that this isn’t what you’re talking about Kevin but Barney’s Sports Chalet sells a pretty lightweight (11 oz.), hip wader called Glacier Socks. They are not made to go over your boots, which is a bummer, but if you already carry a light weight camp shoe (like crocs or something), and if you carry some kind of microspike, you could use them in combination with these hip waders. They would obviously be a bit more of a PITA then just something that would go right over your boots but I think they would work pretty well.
Frontier Gear of Alaska Glacier Socks – Barneys Sports Chalet

I've got these too, the seems are thick and they do not breather at all. They are made for use with plastic boots.

NAQG2sgh.jpg

I've got these too, the seems are thick and they do not breather at all. They are made for use with plastic boots.

Is breathability important in something like the slip ons that the OP referred to? I ask because I have access to a professional seamstress and some cool fabrics/materials, and am considering prototyping something up.

It sounds like key considerations are:
lightweight
waterproof
non-slip sole
big enough to go over boots and pants
durable

Anything else that would make the short list?

OP
Kevin Dill
Is breathability important in something like the slip ons that the OP referred to? I ask because I have access to a professional seamstress and some cool fabrics/materials, and am considering prototyping something up.

It sounds like key considerations are:
lightweight
waterproof
non-slip sole
big enough to go over boots and pants
durable

Anything else that would make the short list?

Durable...enough to put up with abrasive rocks and other stream objects which can gash or wear holes. The critical area is the sole and first 4” of height. If I was building them I would design an oversized bootie from material specifically made to handle abrasion. Think about waterproof duffles or dry bags made with vinyl coated ripstop in fabric weights of at least 18 oz or more. Without this durable bootie it’s only a matter of time until lighter fabrics get damaged.

Lightweight tops can be made of almost any flexible waterproof fabric. Silnylon would be fine as would poly coated nylon. They don’t need to have heavy tops considering they are made solely to cross water and then remove.