Ross and Adam: First CO Elk Hunt Planning Thread

Redmech

FNG
This will be Adam's and my 2016 Colorado 1st rifle Elk Hunt Planning thread.

I'm Ross, I'm a 35 year old Missouri native, I've always dreamed of hunting Elk out west. Early last fall, September or October, I was talking to my buddy Adam and mentioned it. He replied, "I've always wanted to do that also."' I know Adam from the bushcraft Forum www.bushcraftusa.com.

Next thing we both knew we had decided to go for it. We've known each other for about 5 years. I'm about an hour south of Kansas City MO and he is smack dab in the middle of MO. So from about October/November we both had pretty well decided we were really going to do this.

So we both bow and rifle hunters and avid shooters. We decided since neither of us had ever hunted elk much less backpack hunt, we would do our first elk trip as a rifle hunt. We have started acquiring gear, and collecting info, and lots and lots of research. I've quizzed up anyone and everyone I know about elk hunting, backpack hunting, Colorado, and many other aspects of an adventure like this.

We have met some great people already that have offered info, scouting help, and may even tag along.

Currently we are going to try for a first rifle season draw.

I started my get in shape journey in January. I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade, it's an active job on my feet and crawling all over equipment, but still heavier than I liked. I'm 6'6" tall and weighed 275 on January 6th. I started doing 2 miles on the tread mill, and also started the paleo diet. So long story short, between continued exercise and staying on the paleo diet, I am now down to 234 when I weighed this morning. I'm feeling really good now, but still have a ways to go. Punched a bunch of new holes in my belt and about ready to go buy smaller jeans. Have even started doing some jogging.

So far I have acquired a Mystery Ranch Marshall pack right when they went real cheap right after Christmas. I picked up a 0 degree Wiggy's sleeping bag, I may just use my 20 degree bag depending on conditions. I've camped a lot in Missouri but never in Colorado in the mountains and in the fall. Sort of a grey area. I picked up a pair of Vortex 10x binoculars and a Hill People Gear original kit bag (to keep bino's, rangefinder, GPS, cell phone, map, and compass in). I have a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT I'll use for my shelter with a piece of tyvek.

I'll be using my 20 plus year old Ruger M77 30-06. I'm starting to work some loads to shoot, see if it's what I want for October.

So this will just be a work in process thread. Hope to add to it over the next 6-7 months and maybe even kill a bull elk this year.

Thanks for looking and any comments.

Adam will chime in and add his own journey as well.

Hopefully will add pics as well.

Pow

FNG
Sounds like an awesome start Ross. I would try to minimize the amount of cash you spend because you'll want to chuck everything and buy something completely different next year :) Not that I think your choices are bad, but that is the way it goes.

AdamW

WKR
Yeah, I know...another "It's my first time!" thread. :D First, I just want to say thanks to all the Rokslide members for their contributions to this forum. The amount of knowledge here is incredible and I enjoy reading posts from newbies like Ross and I as much as the trip reports from you guys that have been elk hunting a long time. I grew up hunting whitetails, turkey and small game here in MO and elk hunting just seemed like something only a select few did. As Ross said it was pretty random circumstances that in our small group of shared friends, we found someone else crazy enough to jump in to a DIY elk hunt.

One of the first threads I found on Rokslide was Finch's first hunt planning thread here:

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?14408-Planning-my-first-elk-hunt-(Colorado)

I read every post multiple times. His uncertainty, gaining confidence as he went and the help from other Roksliders feels very familiar and has been a big help and an inspiration; so thanks Finch. The amount of planning has been crazy and exciting and hopefully will feel like it paid off in the fall. I need to get my boots on the ground, my butt on a mountain and 1) stay safe 2) have fun and 3) try to kill my first elk...in that order. 7-ish months seems like it is right around the corner!

These two pictures describe a good chunk of my last several weeks, though the actual stair workout itself is a new. This past weekend was up and down 72 flights of parking garage stairs in my boots. My plan is to implement this every weekend and slowly add my pack and increase the weight as I start to condition my legs.

13ydkyx.jpg

3930271.jpg

If I can squeeze a question in here...

What were some things you worried about while planning your first western hunt that turned out to be unfounded or not nearly as big of a deal as you had anticipated?

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bears, weather, going floorless, and the pack out (we didn't kill anything).

I'm in Missouri too if you need anything or want to check out some gear.

Bulldawg

WKR
My biggest struggle was going out and not being able to find elk. I thought I would be able to hike around and hear them bugle and at least find some but it is actually very rare for me to hear elk bugle where I hunt in Colorado. I don't know what it is but even in the "peak rut" times i find elk but hardly ever hear them bugle.

Other thing is a mountain can get real intimidating when you get to the bottom and start looking up, you'll get feelings like maybe we should go hunt around the mountain instead of going up, just trust that you trained enough and can do it and keep your head down and grind it out.

bz_711

WKR
Ross & Adam - Good Luck! Enjoy the journey...I think the prep and planning are just as much fun as the hunt itself.

Be prepared for an all out elkoholic addiction...and booking a trip each Sept...they tried to warn me:) I went for first time in 2010 as I always wanted to try it...I've been 6 years straight now...can't get enough of it. I dread leaving the family each year, but also feel that planning the elk hunt each year makes me a better dad & husband throughout the year as I mentally need "to earn" the opportunity to get away. Won't be long and hope to take the kids as well.

Best advice - STAY POSITIVE! Most guys fail at elk hunting because when no elk are found, feet hurt, tired, weather...it's easy to spiral downward. Stay Positive and keep after them, 1 elk can make it the most memorable trip ever.
This is all coming from an archery perspective...I have no experience with rifle elk.

Way cool and hope you guys have a great trip.

Some advice I'll offer.

Shooting at elk country usually means different positions, angles, rests etc. If you can try to get in the field and take practice shots in non standard positions.

Don't hike to the top of the highest peak the first morning. Work your way into it. If you kill yourselfs that first day it will be easier to sleep in, hunt around camp etc the following days.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
My biggest struggle was going out and not being able to find elk. I thought I would be able to hike around and hear them bugle and at least find some but it is actually very rare for me to hear elk bugle where I hunt in Colorado. I don't know what it is but even in the "peak rut" times i find elk but hardly ever hear them bugle.

Other thing is a mountain can get real intimidating when you get to the bottom and start looking up, you'll get feelings like maybe we should go hunt around the mountain instead of going up, just trust that you trained enough and can do it and keep your head down and grind it out.
^^^this

We've had the same experience.

Rs3003

WKR
Take Tire Chains!! I was planned for everything that I can control but never thought about this. I'm from Pittsburgh any never in my wildest dreams would of thought of chains. We had to come out 1/2 way through 2nd rife 2015 because weather was coming. We needed to get out of where we were. A local said the mud gets "Slicker than Snot"! He was right.

oopslala

FNG
Though I've never gone elk hunting, I've got one bear Colorado hunt under my belt. What mtnrunner said about shooting angles is something that I didn't practice for, and missed the first bear I shot at 3 times because of it(and breathing like I just ran 20 miles from adrenaline).

I was sitting on the ground, using my pack as a gun rest. Except that lined me up pointing down to the bottom of the mountain, not where the bear was. Ended up using sage brush under the pack on the next bear, and still had to slouch quite a bit down to get the bear in the scope.

Moral of the story, expect to have to shoot in the one position you didn't practice or think of. I guess that's what is part of the fun though.

Good luck on your hunt, you'll probably end up back again.

If you end up in unit 54, give me a shout. I'll be in gunnison national forest til October.

AdamW

WKR
I would try to minimize the amount of cash you spend because you'll want to chuck everything and buy something completely different next year :)

Ross, I think your wife has Pow on the payroll! :D One advantage of woods bumming being one of our hobbies outside of hunting is we have a good chunk of the gear like a lot of guys do, albeit not the most ultralight, etc. It is indeed tempting to chase the perfect gear setup but except for glaring shortcomings, I think I will let the trip vet some of my gear for me, within reason.

One thing I don't think we have worried about is predators, mainly because so many guys have said not to. My biggest concerns are the more mundane stuff. Access, road conditions, etc.

We may indeed take you up on the offer BTW!

Subscribed. Good luck gentlemen! I'll be following along.

Thanks!

I feel like Ross and I are a good pair in this regard. Neither of us want to do anything dumb/dangerous and at the same time don't want to be the dead weight for the other!

Best advice - STAY POSITIVE! Most guys fail at elk hunting because when no elk are found, feet hurt, tired, weather...it's easy to spiral downward. Stay Positive and keep after them, 1 elk can make it the most memorable trip ever.

Every year I remind myself during deer season that every time I have taken a nice buck or had a successful hunt, mere seconds before I was passing the boredom in silence. Patience and anticipation...

Good luck Ross and Adam, looking forward to your trip probably close to as much as you are!

Thanks buddy! We may harass you some more before season!

Take Tire Chains!!

On my shopping list of "items I hope I don't have to use" but I will for sure put them on before season as a dry run.

Plans for the weekend at this point are more stairs, maybe a pack weight hike and if I can swing it shooting the rifle off my shooting sticks, seated, prone off my pack, etc. Lots of rifle shooting in store this year for sure.

Thanks for all the comments guys, feel free to dump your wisdom as you see fit. :D

OP
R

Redmech

FNG

What part of Missouri are you in?

And thanks for all the replies. Support and wisdom is so much appreciated.

ridgefire

WKR
Like others have said, staying positive is one of the most important things to do. It will keep you motivated to grind it out day after day even though you will be tired and the weather may be crappy. Your opportunity may come at any time so you gotta be ready for it. I have never hunted Colorado but have hunted Washington Idaho and Arizona and predators have never been a concern. Good luck and plan on making it a yearly trip.

1hoda

Banned
Congratulations and sounds like you are off to a great start. There is some good advice on here already. I'd only add these thoughts-

Do some backpacking at home just to fine tune your gear list.

Second, I'd spend a lot of time with quad maps and Google Earth learning the details of the area you plan to hunt. This would include Plan B areas too.

Talk to the DWM or biologist in the area as well. Before you call, have a list of specific questions.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

Last edited:
OP
R

Redmech

FNG
I'm in Rolla

I don't make it down in that area very often, I'll keep you in mind if I do.

Like others have said, staying positive is one of the most important things to do. It will keep you motivated to grind it out day after day even though you will be tired and the weather may be crappy. Your opportunity may come at any time so you gotta be ready for it. I have never hunted Colorado but have hunted Washington Idaho and Arizona and predators have never been a concern. Good luck and plan on making it a yearly trip.

I've read about don't go to hard core charging up the mountain, never know when one might be just around the corner. Good stuff

Congratulations and sounds like you are off to a great start. There is some good advice on here already. I'd only add these thoughts-

Do some backpacking at home just to fine tune your gear list.

Second, I'd spend a lot of time with quad maps and Google Earth learning the details of the area you plan to hunt. This would include Plan B areas too.

Talk to the DWM or biologist in the area as well. Before you call, have a list of specific questions.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

We are planning a trip here shortly, I'll be pleased when we get a unit drawn. We can go into super scouting mode and get some topo maps and scour the unit on google earth.

I'm still working on trying to figure out my clothing system. I work outside everyday for a living. I use a lot of cotton clothing which works fine when I have a warm running service truck close by and can take a nice hot shower every night. I will sure get some wool base layers for warmth and just general not stinking as badly as cotton would after days on end.

OP
R

Redmech

FNG
I see lots of archery gear lists. Guys that have experience in first or second rifle, what clothing systems have worked for you, or if you have a link to one you've done in the past, I'd love to see it.

8Crow

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, good luck this fall. A few things to consider in response to your questions...

I've only hunted CO 1st Rifle and we brought way too much to wear the first time. What I've whittled the list down to is a good base layer, med weight pants (definitely not thick, heavy stuff), a med weight top, a vest, and a good insulation layer, plus raingear. And about the only time I need the vest or insulation is in the morning when I roll out of the bag or at night right before I roll back in. If you stop and glass you'll probably want it but we hunt such thick stuff I don't get to do much glassing.

Someone said chains and that's a good call. Probably 9 times out of 10 you won't need them but when you do they might save your tail. The locals will tell you if you only have one pair, put them on the front, not the back.

By far the biggest struggle we have in 1st rifle is finding them, as several others have mentioned. And to drive that point home, I was just listening to a podcast of Mark Huelsing interviewing Corey Jacobsen (of elk101.com and quite a bit more). Corey said he very, very rarely hunts rifle seasons and the reason is mostly laziness--it's so much easier to locate them during bow seasons. He also said he rarely bivy hunts--he will hunt from the truck, drop into an area and see what he can find and if he doesn't locate anything he's off to a new area. After listening to Corey I feel a little better about being a lousy 1st season hunter. Surely I'd be a pro if I was bowhunting. :D

Someone also mentioned the mental aspect and that has been our second biggest struggle, even when we know to expect it now. If you get out there and bust your butt for 2-3 days, find nothing, feel like you have no hope of finding anything, your feet are blistered raw or at least very sore, your hips ache from hauling 60 lbs down miles of tiny trails...you'll reach that point mentally where you've just had enough. To me, the mental game seems to be a war of attrition, meaning that one annoyance by itself is not so bad, but when you let a bunch of little things start to pile up, they will reach a tipping point and beat you down. So I have several goals. Foremost for me, make sure my boots are broken in and as close to perfect as I can get--my feet shut me down the fastest. Second, get my glutes, hip flexors, etc in such awesome shape that 60 lbs is a breeze. Third, have a solid plan for pulling up stakes and finding a new area.