7mm rem mag mule deer load

Hey guys, was suggested the Hornady Superformance SST 162 grain last year by my local shop and it grouped well. Ended up shooting my buck at 100 yards behind the front shoulder and ended up throwing out the off side shoulder, ribs, and part of tenderloin because the bullet turned into shrapnel and found small pieces of lead in every piece of meat I cut into.

Made the mistake of checking tags last night and saw Nebraska still has tags left in that unit and now may be making a last minute trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I don't want a repeat of last year.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
General rule of thumb- as the impact speed goes up, you need a tougher bullet to limit meat damage.

You can fix it a couple of ways- use a controlled expansion bonded bullet like an Accubond or a monometal like a TSX or slow down the impact speed by using a heavier conventional bullet. Basically you need the bullet to stay in one piece and not grenade on impact.

The SST is a fast expanding and violent bullet on close range impacts, and a frequent contributor to meat damage.

jeffpg

WKR
That's a killer factory load that puts critters down at all ranges. At longer distances & lower velocities than what you experienced it will still open up and create the kind of tissue damage that kills. This is what I want in a hunting round because I want to find my trophy sooner rather than later or not at all. I have used SST's extensively, mostly in the 7mm Rem Mag but in several other chamberings as well, and have experienced many one shot kills at everything from point blank to 600 yards and it has performed flawlessly for me. You didn't lose a whole lot of meat in a shoulder & ribs in my opinion and the tenderloin is tucked way back high at the front of the hindquarters so you must mean backstraps instead.

Anyway, I wouldn't change my load at the last minute, but if/when you want to make a change I would suggest going to Hornady's 162 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter. That should please you but so should any of the premium bonded bullets like the above mentioned Accubond.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for ya.

I really like 160's for the 7mm as they seem a natural fit for everything. Pretty hard to go wrong with Partitions, Accubonds, or E-tips.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
140 or 150 Barnes TTSX or 139 LRX if you want a laser beam. Mono bullets on deer limits the meat loss. The 139 groups well out of my 7 mag and chronos at 3350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d also recommend the Hornady 162gr ELD-X like another post above.

When I spoke with Hornady, they said the ELD-X was developed to overcome some of the performance issues hunters had with the SST. They didn’t get into the exact details although I asked.

I’m shooting the ELD-X in my .300 Win Mag, and 6.5CM.

I shot the SST in my 6.5CM for awhile before I switched to the 143gr ELD-X and both shot right around 1/2 MOA. Groups “almost” printed the same POI so you might have the same results. Good luck!

OP
wisco_archer
Thanks for all the replies guys, and no Jeff I meant tenderloin, it was nuts. Unfortunately I deleted the pics I took. The wife didn't say yes yet but she didn't say no either. All cleared with the work just in case tho.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

zimagold

FNG
I had poor results with respect to meat damage using 175gr ELD-X in my 7RM on a Bull Elk at 250yds. Impact velocity was around 2500fps. The bullet completely fragmented on a broadside shot after glancing a rib. 3 major fragments exited the opposite side with more than 20 lead fragments peppering the major cuts of the opposite shoulder.

The wound profile reminded me of the older SST and definitely not a bonded bullet. Absolutely decimated the chest cavity, but I won't be switching any other rifles to the ELD-X. I will be keeping the 175 ELD-X as a long range only option.

This was my first experience with the ELD-X as I normally hunt with Accubonds or LRX in my rifles.

Last edited:

LaHunter

WKR
160 grain Accubonds out of my 7 rem mag has been deadly on several large (200-250 lbs) white tails, 3 mulies (1 very large body), and a large mature bull elk. Very accurate too. Ranges have been between 100 yards out to a little past 400 yards.

ianpadron

WKR
Monolithic bullets are your best friend if you're wanting to limit meat loss.

Stick a TTSX or GMX in that thing and put it right through the upper scapula.

Bang flop.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

efnm

WKR
Another vote for a TTSX. I switched because I got sick of the meat loss if I happened to hit bone and I wanted to get rid of lead. If bone and other crap were 6+ inches away from my entrance hole, I can assume lead fragments were too.

If I knew I could hit lungs every time in the future it would be a different story. Until then, monometals.

Studd muffin

Lil-Rokslider
160gr Accubonds are amazing. They will hold together and not fragment into multiple pieces as the SST does. Longest shot I have is on a doe at 300yds, so not very far compared to some here. But the bullet performed flawlessly. Also shot deer at 25yds. Couldn't ask for a better bullet. Well maybe if they made a 180gr Accubond for the higher velocity 28 Nosler and RUM, that would be cool.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using 150Gr Barnes TTSX - Have made shots from 100 yds out to 650. All perfect mushrooming with minimal meat loss. Accurate as well. If you are into anything beyond 6-700 yards might not be the bullet for you as you need to hit minimum FPS thresholds to get dependable expansion. Best of luck!