Longest kill.

Longest rimfire one shot kill was 170 yards on a ground squirrel with a Marlin .17 HMR.

My longest centerfire was right around 350 on a mule deer buck. I've been practicing and competing a bit with a long range rig, hitting steel out to 1250, so I may try to stretch the legs on an antelope next year.

skeptic

FNG
720 on a Bull elk. That was my first and longest, and I learned a lot about my equipment and set up since then. Most since then have been between 300 and 600, which I feel completely comfortable on given the right conditions. Ever since I started dabbling in some long range practical rifle competitions, my idea and concept of "effective range" has completely changed. If I detect or suspect some type of wind uncertainties, I either get closer or don't shoot. Wind is the great equalizer and can certainly be the difference between a dead critter or a wounded one. I would say I have conservatively put well over 2000 rounds down range in the last few years,have seen at least twice that, and the one thing I know for sure is that misjudging the wind or changing wind conditions will make the difference.

OP
M

mtmuley

WKR
New life to this thread I guess. I'll say again before it comes up, my original intent of the question was to get real world info on shots hunters take. Even though we prepare for longer ranges, most animals are taken at moderate ranges. mtmuley

netman

WKR
408 yds on a antelope. Ranged it, dialed my Huskemaw, wind of no value, proper fundamentals and pew dropped it in its tracks.
Not a long shot but a final exam of my summer shooting long range steel and working on perfecting basic marksmanship.
264 Win Mag w 140 Accubond.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I practiced all summer long for a wyoming elk hunt and ended up taking my bull at 969 with a 338 Edge +P. One shot, he took 5 steps

Wyoming elk.jpg

DEIdeven

Lil-Rokslider
905 yds on a bull elk just this weekend first shot hit him and put him down first big game animal with a rifle.

Swampr42

FNG
2006, 6x6 Bull Elk in Washington, 853yds. 300wm. Toasted both shoulders and he didn't go but 5 yards after the shot.

1018 yards on a bull with a 30-378 Weatherby. Prone off a backpack. I knew enough to chrono, print out a drop chart, and count clicks on the turret but that was about it. Looking back it was a good shot but with the little bit of knowledge I had at the time I shouldn't have taken it.

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
650 Yards - Coues Whitetail - 7Mag - Down and out on impact, a lot of practice went into that shot.