1 Bullet for Western Hunting

If you could use only 1 of these bullets for Western Hunting (0-600 Yds) what would it be?

• 108 ELDM

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • 115 DTAC w/Nosering

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • 130 TMK

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • 140 ELDM

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • 147 ELDM

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters

Rooggvc

WKR
Just curious what your thoughts are from the options listed in the poll.

rootacres

WKR
Not sure how you thought this post would go.

Shooting any light/medium weight match bullet at creedmore speeds is not going to be favored on here. Especially at distance. All 5 of your options were just that. Not to say it can't be done but there may be better tools for the job.

In a 6.5 creed I would personally look at bonded bullets or some heavier for caliber Bergers. I don't use ELD-Xs but some on here have had some good luck. Monos like speed, not sure what their velocities look like out of a creedmore at 600 yds though.

I use 168 VLDs in my 7 SAUM and 215 Hybrids in my 300 PRC. The SAUM has been the ticket for elk and deer thus far.

Last edited:
Not sure how you thought this post would go.

Shooting any light/medium weight match bullet at creedmore speeds is not going to be favored on here. Especially at distance. All 5 of your options were just that. Not to say it can't be done but there may be better tools for the job.

In a 6.5 creed I would personally look at bonded bullets or some heavier for caliber Bergers. I don't use ELD-Xs but some on here have had some good luck. Monos like speed, not sure what their velocities look like out of a creedmore at 600 yds. They could be an option too.

I use 168 VLDs in my 7 SAUM and 215 Hybrids in my 300 PRC. The SAUM has been the ticket for elk and deer thus far.
Not sure what sub forums you frequent the most, but there are more than half a dozen threads with thousands of posts talking about the merits of match bullets at creedmoore speeds. So saying that won’t be favored on here is just not accurate. Also all of the ops selections are not light/mid weight options they are all heavy for caliber.

And to the ops question I voted 140 eldm. I don’t handload and the availability, price, and accuracy of the hornady match ammo is very tough to beat.

lak2004

WKR
Ive been fond of the 140 eldm at creedmoor speeds. Have killed 2 bulls and 1 muley with them so far. Much more pleasant to shoot than my 300 wsm.

Testing the 127 LRX now. It will probably limit my range but that's alright, I'll just get a bit closer.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
But but....my grandpappy told me....

147 ELD-M, 108 ELD-M or 115DT-NR if it's the 6UM. Oh, and I hunt in grizzly country all the time by myself.
From your experience is there much of a difference in wound channels between the 147 ELDM and the 108 ELDM?

rootacres

WKR
Not sure what sub forums you frequent the most, but there are more than half a dozen threads with thousands of posts talking about the merits of match bullets at creedmoore speeds. So saying that won’t be favored on here is just not accurate. Also all of the ops selections are not light/mid weight options they are all heavy for caliber.

I hear ya.

If you were to grab 1000 Roksliders at random and ask them if they would choose a 108-147gr match bullet at creedmore speeds or another option I would wager more would choose the other option. Again, that's not to say it can't be done. Im not against match bullets for hunting. I just believe there are better options at 600yds on western big game.

**I didnt say light/mid weight for caliber. I just said light/mid weight. A 147gr ELDM is heavy for caliber but would be considered medium weight when compared to other cartridges/calibers commonly being used for hunting.

ID_Matt

WKR
I hear ya.

If you were to grab 1000 Roksliders at random and ask them if they would choose a 108-147gr match bullet at creedmore speeds or another option I would wager more would choose the other option. Again, that's not to say it can't be done. Im not against match bullets for hunting. I just believe there are better options at 600yds on western big game.

**I didnt say light/mid weight for caliber. I just said light/mid weight. A 147gr ELDM is heavy for caliber but would be considered medium weight when compared to other cartridges/calibers commonly being used for hunting.
What is better at 600 yards (lower velocity impact) than a match bullet?

140 elds are sold in 2000 packs, so that gives them the edge over the 130 tmk for me. IMO, a 16-18" creedmoor doesn't have enough muzzle velocity to really benefit from the 147s improved bc, it basically comes out in a wash with the lighter 2.