1 man backpacking tent

djw7117

WKR
Looking for recommendations for a one person backpacking tent for October/November mule deer in the backcountry. I have been leaning toward the Hilleberg Akto, but would like to see what other people have had success with for a lightweight option but also a little room to keep their gear dry as well.

If you’re okay with something that’s not free standing and you can deal with floorless, there are many options out there that are plenty storm worthy and much lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Big Sky Chinook 1p or 1p+

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
D

djw7117

WKR
Thank you for the recommendations I will take a look Those options. The Chinook and Scarp seem to be very lightweight options as well

The best one man backpacking tent is a 2 man backpacking. I have learned the room is worth the weight. Check out Tarptent for some good options.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The best one man backpacking tent is a 2 man backpacking. I have learned the room is worth the weight. Check out Tarptent for some good options.
That Chinook 1p+ can fit two people, roomy for one. But, Tarptent does make some solid options as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
D

djw7117

WKR
Have these tents worked well in rain/snow? I have been looking at the hilleberg Akto, but have read condensation has been a big issue with those tents.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally think the akto is to heavy for what you get. The sleeping area is very narrow and the vestibule is just adequate. It also condensates terribly.

For that time of year, I would buy a lightweight two man tent with double vestibules. The Big Agnes Copper Spur is tough to beat.

tttoadman

WKR
The copper spur 2 was my only tent for a few years and I loved it. I only got rid of it and went yo single pole shelters when it collapsed under snow in a early November hunt. I would only own the "classic" with the D shaped doors. The new ones with smaller doors look like a pain.

iriebra

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside Lil Bug Out - - so many options. I have a BTB (base, tarp, base) If Im solo, and depending on conditions, Base or Base plus Base with stove (have Stove Jack installed in one of bases). Throw in a nest for condensation and extra "protection" (creepy crawlies, etc) I use trekking poles so I use those for pitching.

jjtt13

FNG
I just got the tarptent moment dw love it so far

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
D

djw7117

WKR
The tarptent options look great. Do all they have vestibule options as well? How much does the LBL weigh with the nest?

Seek Outside Silvertip. Get the stove jack installed whether you think you’ll use it with a stove or not. And seam seal it yourself - super easy!

OP
D

djw7117

WKR
Would the Silvertip be a good option for rain/snow as well? Do they offer a nest?