133 grain .25-06 COAL?

Anybody running a 1:7.5 barrel and 133 grain Bergers out of their .25-06? If so, what is your COAL, and are you good with a standard length long action?

B23

WKR
Anybody running a 1:7.5 barrel and 133 grain Bergers out of their .25-06? If so, what is your COAL, and are you good with a standard length long action?
It'll depend on who's "standard length long action" you're talking about. In a Rem 700 long action, no problem but in something like a Tikka, where they have a much shorter allowable COAL, you'll want to make sure your barrel is throated and has the appropriate length freebore for using a Tikka.

In a Tikka, I'd look at building a 25-284 instead of the 25-06. You won't have any COAL issues with a 25-284 build and they'll have equal performance since the case capacity is nearly identical. Also, using necked down Lapua 6.5-284 brass is much better then any of the 25-06 options for brass.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
It'll depend on who's "standard length long action" you're talking about. In a Rem 700 long action, no problem but in something like a Tikka, where they have a much shorter allowable COAL, you'll want to make sure your barrel is throated and has the appropriate length freebore for using a Tikka.

In a Tikka, I'd look at building a 25-284 instead of the 25-06. You won't have any COAL issues with a 25-284 build and they'll have equal performance since the case capacity is nearly identical. Also, using necked down Lapua 6.5-284 brass is much better then any of the 25-06 options for brass.
Thank you for the information. I already have the .25-06 dies and 200 bullets on hand. I’ve had them for sale on here for about a year without any bites. I also really enjoyed shooting my .25 before I sold it like an idiot many years ago. So, I’m pretty set on going with the .25-06.

Given the Tikka constraints you mentioned, it sounds like I should avoid a prefit and just have my gunsmith drill it out from a blank to meet the COAL requirements? Or do you think he could work with the prefit just as easily? He quoted me $800 for barrel and true up with the action. I can get an X-caliber prefit for $450.

B23

WKR
Given the Tikka constraints you mentioned, it sounds like I should avoid a prefit and just have my gunsmith drill it out from a blank to meet the COAL requirements? Or do you think he could work with the prefit just as easily? He quoted me $800 for barrel and true up with the action. I can get an X-caliber prefit for $450.
If I was building on a Tikka and since we know they have somewhat of limited COAL length with their mags I would talk to the gunsmith I was going to use about making up a dummer round with your bullet of choice so that it was seated deep enough to reliably cycle through the mags and leave you a little length to chase the lands down the road as the throat grows from erosion and have him set the freebore length based off that dummer round.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Thank you again, and I will touch base with him. That sounds like a great idea to simulate the real world and ensure it meets specs.

He is most familiar with and recommends rem 700 BDL actions due to the availability of parts. However, the consensus from some the experts on here are that the Tikka actions are pretty much bulletproof over time.

http://www.rwsgunsmithing.com/

B23

WKR
Thank you again, and I will touch base with him. That sounds like a great idea to simulate the real world and ensure it meets specs.

He is most familiar with and recommends rem 700 BDL actions due to the availability of parts. However, the consensus from some the experts on here are that the Tikka actions are pretty much bulletproof over time.

http://www.rwsgunsmithing.com/
I don't think a Tikka is any more bulletproof than a Rem 700. There's a shit ton of Rem 700's out there in a wide variety of configurations from factory stock to about anything you can imagine and they've been the "go to" action for more semi custom builds then probably all others combined since the 60's.

Tikka makes a good action and more importantly, they do a, very, good job with their barrels and their barrels are consistently good. I've borescoped a lot of different factory barrels and Sako/Tikka barrels are the best factory barrels I've looked at.

With over five million Rem 700's out there, naturally you're going to hear more about them good or bad and it seems like the bad is always a lot louder. It's kind of like Ford F150's, they sell half again as many F150's then any other pickup manufactured so with that many more out there the odds are you're going to hear more about them.

If you’re gonna use a 700, and wanting it to not be a single shot, you might wanna see about opening up the bottom of the action. You’ll need aftermarket parts as well, but in the 700s I’ve fooled with anything much over sammi length and it wouldn't go anyway.

B23

WKR
The factory stock mag box on a long action Rem 700 is 3.600 sometimes slightly more and that'll be way more than enough for a 25-06 shooting the 131-135's. I'd bet a 25-06 with a Berger 135 the bullet would damn near fall out of the case at an COAL of 3.600

The factory stock mag box on a long action Rem 700 is 3.600 sometimes slightly more and that'll be way more than enough for a 25-06 shooting the 131-135's. I'd bet a 25-06 with a Berger 135 the bullet would damn near fall out of the case at an COAL of 3.600
My experience was more with the short action variety. Mag length in a 7-08 I had was 2.820. I modified the box and got a lot more out of it, but I’d hang up coming thru the bottom of the action. Long actions may be way more generous, but the short actions I’ve messed with had stupid long throats and no room in mag box

B23

WKR
Ok, but we're talking about a 25-06 build and I think we all can agree, nobody, would ever build a 25-06 on a short action.

Ok, but we're talking about a 25-06 build and I think we all can agree, nobody, would ever build a 25-06 on a short action.
While you are correct, if they build their long actions like their short actions, it ain’t gonna be tight.

Quick math shows that a 133 Berger seated with the bottom of the bearing surface at the neck/shoulder junction of a 25-06 case comes out to 3.379 inches COAL. Give or take a few thou for bullet irregularitys. Add about .050 if you believe in having one bore diameter(.257) of contact between the bearing surface and neck.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Berger provided the following .25-06 load data to another RS member. Please note the COAL provided.

1669836504205.png

The Tikka T3x LA magazine has a COAL of 3.4".

Gila

WKR
Berger provided the following .25-06 load data to another RS member. Please note the COAL provided.

View attachment 481756

The Tikka T3x LA magazine has a COAL of 3.4".
I would back it off about 10 thousands but that would give a max COAL of 3.390. You will want to run Mountain Tactical bottom metal anyway....Tikka’s plastic one will work but does flex a bit. The Mountain Tactical‘s Tikka metal magazine is a good thing also. The COAL given with the Berger load data is actually the SAAMI COAL of 3.25 inches which does not take a desired seating depth into account. There is some load data on some other websites that put the COAL for the 115 at 3.37” but they were parking the bullet really close to the jam point in the lands.

If it were me I would continue with your effort to try and find someone who has done what you are trying to do. A Tikka action is really popular to build on, someone‘s done this I’m sure. The nice thing about a Tikka T3x action is that you have a great adj trigger, so all you may want to do is replace the bottom metal for about $130, have the barrel maker twist on a shouldered pre-fit and put it into a stock of your choice. If you go Rem 700 action, you will probably want to replace the trigger and get the action modified, blueprinted. But for the money you would have to spend, you might as well go to a Bighorn or ARC Nucleus action ($900-$1000) IMO. You could do a “remage” barrel if you want to use the 700 action but for my money I would stick to a shouldered pre-fit for the Tikka action or a custom action if you decide to go that route. That is unless you want to go top end match barrel to give to your smith. Bottom line is, I still think a Tikka action might work for what you want to do...

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I would back it off about 10 thousands but that would give a max COAL of 3.390. You will want to run Mountain Tactical bottom metal anyway....Tikka’s plastic one will work but does flex a bit. The Mountain Tactical‘s Tikka metal magazine is a good thing also. The COAL given with the Berger load data is actually the SAAMI COAL of 3.25 inches which does not take a desired seating depth into account. There is some load data on some other websites that put the COAL for the 115 at 3.37” but they were parking the bullet really close to the jam point in the lands.

If it were me I would continue with your effort to try and find someone who has done what you are trying to do. A Tikka action is really popular to build on, someone‘s done this I’m sure. The nice thing about a Tikka T3x action is that you have a great adj trigger, so all you may want to do is replace the bottom metal for about $130, have the barrel maker twist on a shouldered pre-fit and put it into a stock of your choice. If you go Rem 700 action, you will probably want to replace the trigger and get the action modified, blueprinted. But for the money you would have to spend, you might as well go to a Bighorn or ARC Nucleus action ($900-$1000) IMO. You could do a “remage” barrel if you want to use the 700 action but for my money I would stick to a shouldered pre-fit for the Tikka action or a custom action if you decide to go that route. That is unless you want to go top end match barrel to give to your smith. Bottom line is, I still think a Tikka action might work for what you want to do...
I appreciate the information, and my plan (once I decide on 6-06 vs. .25-06 vs. .25-06AI) is to use Tikka LA and a Preferred Barrel prefit. I agree with you on the factory "bottom metal" from Tikka too. May not need replaced, but I just don't like the thought/look of polymer/plastic on the action. Mountain Tactical aluminum bottom metal and their matching billet magazine may be the ideal set up.

I really wanted to go with KRG Bravo, but they don't make a stock or chassis that fits a Tikka LA. However, I like the price and functionality of the Boyd's Customs "At-One" laminated stock with tooless adjustable LOP and cheek piece.

I appreciate the information, and my plan (once I decide on 6-06 vs. .25-06 vs. .25-06AI) is to use Tikka LA and a Preferred Barrel prefit. I agree with you on the factory "bottom metal" from Tikka too. May not need replaced, but I just don't like the thought/look of polymer/plastic on the action. Mountain Tactical aluminum bottom metal and their matching billet magazine may be the ideal set up.

I really wanted to go with KRG Bravo, but they don't make a stock or chassis that fits a Tikka LA. However, I like the price and functionality of the Boyd's Customs "At-One" laminated stock with tooless adjustable LOP and cheek piece.
I had a 1:7 25-06 build on a tikka. At the time, blackjack was the only game in town. I could not reach the lands (SAAMI spec chamber). Also could not find acceptable accuracy with those bullets and eventually pulled the barrel. Not sure if being closer to the lands would have helped or not but I had no interest in a single shot.

If you “need” 3000fps I would recommend 25-284. My PBB tikka prefit shot very well at 3015fps using h1000.

Currently settled on 25 creedmoor shooting 2940. Gives up essentially nothing in the velocity department, less recoil and less muzzle blast. Plus you could put it in the KRG bravo which you seem interested in. I am shooting 26” barrels however. 2940fps gives me plenty of retained velocity for reasonable hunting distances.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
The Tikka T3 comes in only one length which can use long action cartridges. You can change the bolt throw by changing out the bolt stop for short action cartridges....KRG Bravo chassis comes fitted for the T3 action: https://straightjacketarmory.com/product/krg-bravo-chassis-rem-700-la/
That’s what I believed as well. However, I spoke to a guy at KRG this week based on this comment on their page

*We do not offer a Tikka inlet that accepts long action (.300WM, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, etc...) magazines.

He was adamant Tikka LA/mags will not fit in the Bravo.

Gila

WKR
Yea....I just saw that. The chassis inlet won’t accept long action AICS mags. Née to be able to use 3.715” long action magazines....they don’t