15x binoculars or spotting scope

I have been guiding for elk since Sept 1 this year. As an elk guide I use 12x50 Swarovski binos and a 25-50x65 Swarovski spotter just about every day until December. The 12x50’s are awesome but you have guys that spent a lot of money and are looking for a certain elk so they want details and at 2 miles the EL’s will see elk but can’t pick the elk apart you need the spotter.
Agreed, if your looking for details or are being picky with the animals, need a spotter. To me even 15x binoculars wouldn't be enough unless your within 1500 yards.

AndyB

WKR
I can not resolve any more detail with my 65 swaro spotter than I can with my Slc 15's, you might be able to get more magnification but that doesn't mean I can resolve more detail. Unless I was an antler point weenie, I would take the Slc's anyday if I had to choose one. Much easier to 'glass' with. All the Elk I have found have been with my 15's. An 85 or larger scope would probably be a different story.

I did take the below pic with a spotter, (last day, before we flew out.) but I found him with the 15's from somewhere between 1.5-3 miles.

In the pic with the Slc's I found Elk at around 6 miles on the second furthest peak you can see, I could tell if they were Cow or Bull. Pic was again through the scope, all freehand.

Attachments

• DSC02054.JPG
    DSC02054.JPG
    252 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC02055.JPG
    DSC02055.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC02000.JPG
    DSC02000.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC02005.JPG
    DSC02005.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I guess I'm an antler point weenie then. I for one can resolve way more detail and deeper into dark conditions with a Swaro 65 spotter (and an 80 is even better) over my 15's. I'm in Coues mode now and I can't tell you how many times in the last few weeks a spotter gets to the point quicker on what quality I am looking at over the 15's. In some cases the 15's would never tell me what I can see in the spotter. I can get over 10 minutes more glassing time into the dark than the 15's as well. That's gold no matter what species you're looking for!!! If you're just looking for an animal then yeah the 15's might suffice but if you really want to know what it is you might want a quality spotter.

I guess I'm an antler point weenie then. I for one can resolve way more detail and deeper into dark conditions with a Swaro 65 spotter (and an 80 is even better) over my 15's. I'm in Coues mode now and I can't tell you how many times in the last few weeks a spotter gets to the point quicker on what quality I am looking at over the 15's. In some cases the 15's would never tell me what I can see in the spotter. I can get over 10 minutes more glassing time into the dark than the 15's as well. That's gold no matter what species you're looking for!!! If you're just looking for an animal then yeah the 15's might suffice but if you really want to know what it is you might want a quality spotter.
Am in Coues country as well. My 15s get used before dawn to dusk. The STX 65/95 comes when I need clarification or confirmation. I do not glass with it; could if I ponied up the cash for the BTX.

Just goes to show that there is no right answer that applies to everyone. We're all different.

BBob

WKR
Just goes to show that there is no right answer that applies to everyone. We're all different.
For sure and no argument. The 15's definitely get used the most. In our group we're using BTX and twin Swaro spotters that add a new element and I think an advantage to the game.

Last edited:

Firehawk

WKR
After spending time on a LE deer hunt a few weeks ago, I knew I wanted a good 15x bino added to my arsenal. I had borrowed my buddy's SLC15x to compliment my Maven B2 9x and my new Maven CS.1. Now, results may have been different if my spotter was top shelf like the SLCs, but I will say I used the B2 most of the time and the 15x alot. The spotter eventually got left in camp toward the end of the hunt. Being able to use both eyes on 15x power was awesome. I loved just sitting there in God's country, looking everything over with great binos. Both the B2 and the SLCs were awesome on the tripod.

I now own a 15x Meopta as I couldn't spend the extra $1000 to get the Swaros, but I have now spent some time on the hills with them and once again, I will prefer the 15x to my spotter. It has a permanent spot in my optics arsenal now.

AndyB

WKR
My use is limited to the terrain of what you see in the pics, never hunted Coues or been in Coues country. Hopefully in time the 65 will grow on me like the 15's did. The more I use them the more I like them, maybe this will apply to the 65.

I have a hard time looking through a scope too long. I one eye at a time screws up my vision bad for awhile, I rarely use my spotter other than trying to really see something at a real distance or at the range to look at targets and even then I try to keep it quick. In hindsight I should’ve bought high powered binos. If I didn’t have that issue I don’t know. If you’re really trying to nit pick a particular animal especially at long range etc a spotter would be more helpful but 15s on a tripod would probably better for me.

Blue72

WKR
This is the view from where I live. the furthest point on the coast is about five miles away. So I play with a bunch of optics constantly. I keep going back to 12x/15x on a monopod or tripod. Anything under a mile I prefer handholding 7x. I rarely pull out the scopes anymore. I get the urge every so often and break it out thinking I’m missing out on magnification. Normally I switch back to binoculars after 10-15 minutesB617AD38-9824-459F-8975-5018839DA2CF.jpeg

drewbie

FNG
been thinking about this myself. I'm leaning heavily on the 15x's just so I can find more animals. being a more inexperienced hunter, I'd rather see more animals than see how big they are. maybe once I get better at finding them, I'll go the spotter route.

ColoradoV

WKR
does anybody leave the spotter behind on a high country mule deer hunt and just use 15s?

Yea most times leave the spotter when hunting and bring the 15z instead of my spotter.

Or when the season starts I have spent 25 +- days scouting w my 85 mm zeiss spotter along. Or I know where I want to be and the single buck I am targeting = he is always very obvious usually w the naked eye even at distance. At that point I am not locating bucks, taking pics, or figuring out how big they are as that has been done. Once the season starts only location, movement, and stalking opportunities matter.

I know I am a bit of a anomaly and if I was still locating bucks in season I would have the spotter (min 85mm) along for sure.