WKR
Shooting steel at 1k

Hunting to 600.

Need to be able to see 1 Moa target.

FFP

What power would you recommend?

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
How tight quarters do you get hunting? How much do you shoot to get good at speedy target acquisition at high mag? I hunt with 5.5-30x and 6-36x prs scopes. No problem killing running coyotes at shotgun range. If I was comfortable spending the money for no more than I hunt, I would buy something in the 2-10 or 3-18x range. Honestly, if it was 5-7 yrs ago in prs a 3-15 or 3-18 would be fine for that as well. Now with the speed and target size involved in being competitive, I value higher mag and better glass to know what I am seeing faster. It has made target acquisition and recoil control more important, but without getting off topic too far, the guns being built now are retarded. Many are building 25-30# guns for what can be accomplished with 18# and a little skill or 14# and a lot of skill.

Unless you are shooting matches with this scope, you will be fine with 10-12x as long as you buy something with decent glass. More is better for shooting small targets at 1000 (up to a point, I have never used more than 24-25x except shooting groups on paper). Less is better for quick shots in tight quarters hunting. You can get away with a scope that has a good wide field of view on 6x for hunting. To see a 1 moa target at 1000 you are going to want at least 10x with good glass or more with poor glass. You can probably see it with less, but it will be questionable. It will take a lot of brain power to put the reticle on the target. If we were talking about 2 moa and larger targets at 1000 it could be accomplished with 6x or maybe even less.

People make a big to do over mag range. It isn't that important in most scenarios. Usually it is a feel good thing for their brain. The "best" is the highest mag you can spot your shots and track the target on with no problems.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
How tight quarters do you get hunting? How much do you shoot to get good at speedy target acquisition at high mag? I hunt with 5.5-30x and 6-36x prs scopes. No problem killing running coyotes at shotgun range. If I was comfortable spending the money for no more than I hunt, I would buy something in the 2-10 or 3-18x range. Honestly, if it was 5-7 yrs ago in prs a 3-15 or 3-18 would be fine for that as well. Now with the speed and target size involved in being competitive, I value higher mag and better glass to know what I am seeing faster. It has made target acquisition and recoil control more important, but without getting off topic too far, the guns being built now are retarded. Many are building 25-30# guns for what can be accomplished with 18# and a little skill or 14# and a lot of skill.

Unless you are shooting matches with this scope, you will be fine with 10-12x as long as you buy something with decent glass. More is better for shooting small targets at 1000 (up to a point, I have never used more than 24-25x except shooting groups on paper). Less is better for quick shots in tight quarters hunting. You can get away with a scope that has a good wide field of view on 6x for hunting. To see a 1 moa target at 1000 you are going to want at least 10x with good glass or more with poor glass. You can probably see it with less, but it will be questionable. It will take a lot of brain power to put the reticle on the target. If we were talking about 2 moa and larger targets at 1000 it could be accomplished with 6x or maybe even less.

People make a big to do over mag range. It isn't that important in most scenarios. Usually it is a feel good thing for their brain. The "best" is the highest mag you can spot your shots and track the target on with no problems.
Thank you

Was looking at the new maven or an elite dmr3 bushnell.