Best binoculars around 1k?

JGRaider

WKR
It is totally subjective, which is why I said it's a matter of opinion. I personally think the Conquest's eyecups suck, and it's focus is waaaaay to fast to achieve a quick, sharp focus. I'd take my Tract Toric UHD every day, but it's all my opinion. I'd also take the Nikon MHG, Meostar HD, and GPO HD just to name a few that I've used.

So it looks like maven, swaro, kowa and maybe vortex?
Unless you plan on selling them soon, I would go with kowa over used slc’s, unless you’re looking at EL’s

I think the kowas are in a different category than vortex uhd, I had both at one point

Sounds like maven is putting out some good stuff, but I have only been behind a pair one day, don’t know the model, so that’s probably not relevant to your search

I will say, kowa are the only binos I’ve looked through that I thought they performed well above their price point

Meopta is another good option, they make nice stuff in that price range, but I wouldn’t pick them over the kowas

At the end of the day, 1000$ glass will serve you well, it’s just about getting the most out of your money, and wanting to make the best choice, but you do have some good choices with your budget.

Had the NL pures not come out, I would still be using the kowas and perfectly content, they hang with anything I’ve looked through before the NL’s, if they came out with some 18x, I would buy a pair on preorder… might get the 8x, to use in September, and the only other option for 8’s would be NL, but I’d probably opt for the kowa and be happy. They are a kick ass optic for the price

Don’t know why folks are just throwing out very different configurations of binoculars when the OP really hasn’t told us how the glass will be used. A full day of lugging a Vortex UHD 10x42 or Kowa Genesis 10.5 x 44 will be very different experience from a Maven B1.2 or Nikon MHG, especially if doing a lot of hand-held glassing. Personally, if the glass will primarily be used for hunting Whitetails in the Maryland woods my recommendation would be different than for spot-and-stalk Mule Deer in Eastern Colorado. In many cases, handling, weight, and haptics are of near or equal importance as pure optical performance.

OP
W

WesternMDShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Great point. Here in MD I don’t need any special glass at all hunting in deep woods. But I go out west every year for an elk or mule deer hunt. And the current binos I have now were purchased when I could only afford a few hundred bucks and now that I am in a position to upgrade. I want to get binos I’ll be happy with for a long time and have them for a duel purpose. Hope this helps….. Everybody has been great in their replies thank you all.

I want to get binos I’ll be happy with for a long time and have them for a duel purpose
OK. Let’s start by saying that there is no such thing as the perfect binocular. Every optical device is a compromise of features to varying degrees. The way a focuser, eyepiece, barrel configuration, or balance feel to me will not likely be identical to how they fit you. It is best to go out and try a bunch of different binoculars. It has been my experience that in side-by-side comparisons there is usually greater consensus on the quality of the optics than the fit and feel from person to person. Since you plan on using them for the long time, fit, feel, balance and haptics contribute greatly to your level of enjoyment.

A quick list of binoculars I’d recommend checking out for a dual-purpose glass in no particular order (BTW, 12x is less than ideal in the deer woods):
- Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42
- Maven B6 10x50
- Maven B1.2 10x42
- Nikon Monarch HG 10x42

jimh406

WKR
You can believe the YouTubers or not, but one suggested that the reason the Tract Torics are so good is because they have a license to use Schott glass. YMMV.