2 blades vs 4 blades for shooting at a distance

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at switching up my broadheads and want something that will be most accurate at longer ranges. I'm shooting ViperTricks now and haven't had any issues, but will take any excuse to try out a new broadhead. In my mind, two blade broadheads like IW's and others would have less wind deflection, but is it negligible out at 50-60 yards?

I know any decent broadhead can be accurate at these distances if I do my job, but mentally knowing my equipment gives me a margin of error gives me confidence and seems to make me more accurate.

Negligible forsure especially depending on vented or not IW’s. Both great broadheads. I’d worry more of iw planing depending on your speed and tune/form.

Tilzbow

WKR
Years ago I shot the original German Kinetic Silver Flame 2-blade vented and they were super accurate at long distance and seemed less prone to wind planing than the 3 and 4 blade vented heads I shot during the same time period (Magnus Snuffer SS, VPA, Slick Trick, Shuttle T and one other 4-blade I can’t recall). That said I stopped shooting super expensive broadheads a few years ago and sold all my unused Silver Flames on eBay for close to what I paid for them. Now I carry 4 Slick Trick standards along with an expandable if a long range follow up shot is needed and manage first shot distance based on conditions.

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Negligible forsure especially depending on vented or not IW’s. Both great broadheads. I’d worry more of iw planing depending on your speed and tune/form.

Years ago I shot the original German Kinetic Silver Flame 2-blade vented and they were super accurate at long distance and seemed less prone to wind planing than the 3 and 4 blade vented heads I shot during the same time period (Magnus Snuffer SS, VPA, Slick Trick, Shuttle T and one other 4-blade I can’t recall). That said I stopped shooting super expensive broadheads a few years ago and sold all my unused Silver Flames on eBay for close to what I paid for them. Now I carry 4 Slick Trick standards along with an expandable if a long range follow up shot is needed and manage first shot distance based on conditions.
Thanks guys, I'll go with a vented 2 blade then. And I hadn't thought about using expandables for follow up shots at distance - definitely a good idea. I wanted to stay away from them given some failures I'd heard about, but using them as a back up is definitely a good idea

Thanks guys, I'll go with a vented 2 blade then. And I hadn't thought about using expandables for follow up shots at distance - definitely a good idea. I wanted to stay away from them given some failures I'd heard about, but using them as a back up is definitely a good idea
Why not stick with slick trick? If you just want to try new I’d go center iron wills, they will whistle though. I love slicks. Shoot sevrs most of the time though

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Why not stick with slick trick? If you just want to try new I’d go center iron wills, they will whistle though. I love slicks. Shoot sevrs most of the time though
I figure a two blade will give me a little extra confidence, which always helps (and I also want to try some new broadheads lol). Unfortunately IW's are a tad out of my price range but thought the Magnus Stingers could be a decent, more affordable option. Seen a lot of great reviews for them

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
What do you use for expandables on the follow up shots? Most of my research has been for fixed blades, but want to look into expandables a bit more

Tilzbow

WKR
What do you use for expandables on the follow up shots? Most of my research has been for fixed blades, but want to look into expandables a bit more

I shoot Sevr expandables but don‘t have much experience with them on animals, except for one antelope, since they’re only used when things go wrong. There’s a recent review thread on here about them.

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot Sevr expandables but don‘t have much experience with them on animals, except for one antelope, since they’re only used when things go wrong. There’s a recent review thread on here about them.
Perfect thank you, I'll look into those

Magnus Stinger's actually fly really well at distance if the bow is tuned. IW fly well of course too, I have been pleased with the G5 striker heads as well. Slick tricks have always flown well, but I actually never have put any through game. I think it's kinda hard to beat what Magnus offers for most people, what you get at the price point for a decent 2 blade broadhead, tho I'd recommend bleeder version.

Like what's being hinted at, your smallest profile is your best protection from wind, however that comes with its own problems.

I think if it's to the point that you are worried about wind carrying your arrow that far off target, it's getting too windy to be able to make the shot. It's usually more difficult to hold the bow in the wind than it is to compensate for the wind drift.

I haven't had good experiences with sevr, they work but the 2.1 and 2.0 suck in the penetration department. When the blades are deployed part of the cutting surface is matched by the deployment tabs, worse on 2.1 than the 2.0, but both have the issue. I also had the 2.1 lock past open, so instead of it being an obtuse angle going through the deer, I believe it was an acute. I can't be sure that's what happened, possibly it happened after exit, but given what I felt poor penetration (12 yard shot and arrow went through but was just laying on the grass, normally buried into the dirt) I believe it's what happened. 2 more does shot with a 2.0, and similar experience, pass through one hung on fletching at exit, shafts just laying on the grass after. All 3 were effective kills, decent blood, just with a lot of mechanical experience I didn't expect a 2 blade to be slowed down so much by little 160# does. The heads fly really well, if I was going to continue to use them I'd look at the 1.5, but that cutting area is small enough I'd rather just use a fixed head.

I've been looking at switching up my broadheads and want something that will be most accurate at longer ranges. I'm shooting ViperTricks now and haven't had any issues, but will take any excuse to try out a new broadhead. In my mind, two blade broadheads like IW's and others would have less wind deflection, but is it negligible out at 50-60 yards?

I know any decent broadhead can be accurate at these distances if I do my job, but mentally knowing my equipment gives me a margin of error gives me confidence and seems to make me more accurate.
Annihilators fly really well from my experience. Not a huge cutting diameter. They are very easy to sharpen and very durable.

2blade

WKR
My bows will put 125gr VPA 3 blades, Woodsman Elite 3 blades, Grizzly Stick Samurai and Day Six 4-blades in a 3" circle at 70 yards. I bet it will do it at 80 yards as well, which would be my last pin, but I haven't tried it yet. But I'm a bow tuning freak so... ymmv

MattB

WKR
I figure a two blade will give me a little extra confidence, which always helps (and I also want to try some new broadheads lol). Unfortunately IW's are a tad out of my price range but thought the Magnus Stingers could be a decent, more affordable option. Seen a lot of great reviews for them
Don’t overthink it.

You are overthinking it.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Magnus Stinger's actually fly really well at distance if the bow is tuned. IW fly well of course too, I have been pleased with the G5 striker heads as well. Slick tricks have always flown well, but I actually never have put any through game. I think it's kinda hard to beat what Magnus offers for most people, what you get at the price point for a decent 2 blade broadhead, tho I'd recommend bleeder version.

Like what's being hinted at, your smallest profile is your best protection from wind, however that comes with its own problems.

I think if it's to the point that you are worried about wind carrying your arrow that far off target, it's getting too windy to be able to make the shot. It's usually more difficult to hold the bow in the wind than it is to compensate for the wind drift.

I haven't had good experiences with sevr, they work but the 2.1 and 2.0 suck in the penetration department. When the blades are deployed part of the cutting surface is matched by the deployment tabs, worse on 2.1 than the 2.0, but both have the issue. I also had the 2.1 lock past open, so instead of it being an obtuse angle going through the deer, I believe it was an acute. I can't be sure that's what happened, possibly it happened after exit, but given what I felt poor penetration (12 yard shot and arrow went through but was just laying on the grass, normally buried into the dirt) I believe it's what happened. 2 more does shot with a 2.0, and similar experience, pass through one hung on fletching at exit, shafts just laying on the grass after. All 3 were effective kills, decent blood, just with a lot of mechanical experience I didn't expect a 2 blade to be slowed down so much by little 160# does. The heads fly really well, if I was going to continue to use them I'd look at the 1.5, but that cutting area is small enough I'd rather just use a fixed head.
I'd echo this, up to the commentary about Sevr.

No experience with them. Prolly will continue that way.

CMF

WKR
I've had better experience with 2 blade vs 3/4 at distance.
I like the Magnus killer bees, they are only 7/8" cutting diameter, but that results in less wind effect and more penetration, and they had no problem killing an elk this year with a frontal shot. I plan to try the IW eventually.
I've always kept a mech for long shots, windy days, and long follow ups, and ended up going to the 1.5 Sevr. this year. I shot a good muley buck at 55 and he only ran 50. I did not get a pass through though, even with a broadside shot and that's why I usually grab the fixed blade, but I was anticipating a longer shot, so I had the sevr loaded.
I don't like vented heads because of the noise they make.

dtrkyman

WKR
Short ferrules and small vented blades will yield the best accuracy. If you want an accurate fixed head with a good cut look at QAD.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
Since "far" when shooting at live animal is 40 yards, there are a lot of heads that will do that for you.

I am currently shooting Slick Trick 4 blade 1" cut and they fly very well out to 40. I don't shoot them any further than that.

Spike elk

WKR
Big fan of the Magnus Stingers from 5 to 74 yards on a combo of 10 mule deer and elk. Besides flying true they are a great company with awesome service.