2 preference points for Wyoming elk and mule deer

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
I have 2 preference points going into 2024 season( I know it's still a year away) what are my chances of pulling a general archery tag for elk in Wyoming. With the point creep I would think at least 3-5 points but you never know. I'm thinking more then likely it will be OTC in Colorado unless I pull a unit that takes 1 point

Jethro

WKR
All this is new to me(elk hunting draw systems) sorry
Do yourself a favor and take the time to learn how the draw processes work in your chosen states. That education will allow you to better understand the answers you get to your questions and put you ahead of the 1000’s that will apply in 2024 that have no clue how the draws are conducted.

wytx

WKR
Big changes coming to the NR draw next year and draw odds may be out the window due to them. We have a Special draw price increase and NR regions going into affect for elk ,I believe on the regions next year.
No way to know how the odds will play out now.

Deer can be drawn with 0-2 PPs in some regions and areas, we also have some deer changes coming I'm afraid for a few regions to combat CWD prevalence.

Guys telling you to burn and get out might just be looking out for their onw draw odds, lol.

You'll be less than 10% odds for a standard general elk tag for at least the next 5 draws, probably longer. Might be slightly above 10% in the special draw, hard to say.

OP
Andrewlonghi
Big changes coming to the NR draw next year and draw odds may be out the window due to them. We have a Special draw price increase and NR regions going into affect for elk ,I believe on the regions next year.
No way to know how the odds will play out now.

Deer can be drawn with 0-2 PPs in some regions and areas, we also have some deer changes coming I'm afraid for a few regions to combat CWD prevalence.

Guys telling you to burn and get out might just be looking out for their onw draw odds, lol.
Thanks for the info...definitely wasn't going to just burn my points and get out lol....I kinda took that as the way u started above. Sometimes good things come to those that wait and I'll do just that 😌

Laramie

WKR
I have 2 preference points going into 2024 season( I know it's still a year away) what are my chances of pulling a general archery tag for elk in Wyoming. With the point creep I would think at least 3-5 points but you never know. I'm thinking more then likely it will be OTC in Colorado unless I pull a unit that takes 1 point

OP
Andrewlonghi
What difference does it make if you draw WY or MT next year? It is probably more likely to plan for Mt next year and Wy in 2026. Get an elk tag and go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I guess in a way it doesn't but I have hunting trips planned for the next 5 years and Montana trip is for 2026 Unless something drastic happens

OP
Andrewlonghi
The way it's looking for drawing tags as a NR the next few years I'm thinking a person might be better off finding a side gig & stashing the $$ away for a landowner tag somewhere. Probably will be hunting quicker that way TBH
Yeah, I work to much now to have a side job/gig, looked into landowner tags and they are way to much for me.

Laramie

WKR
The way it's looking for drawing tags as a NR the next few years I'm thinking a person might be better off finding a side gig & stashing the $$ away for a landowner tag somewhere. Probably will be hunting quicker that way TBH
Bingo. To those that "don't have time" for a side gig, look into umpiring baseball or softball. There is a shortage nationally and there are quite a few games paying cash in just about every community. I did 87 games this season... Could have paid for a guided hunt with one spring and summer of side work. Instead I bought my son a new rifle, a new shotgun, and paid for a great family vacation.