20 years ago - Advice to your younger self

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Progression of thinking:

Teenage years: "What will other people think of me?!"
20s: "I don't care what other people think of me."
30s: "No one is thinking of me."
I feel this was my entire thought process. About to turn 32 and am wondering if I’m straddling a line of “ I wonder if people think of me and I hope that people are not”, outside of my very small circle

CorbLand

WKR
I feel this was my entire thought process. About to turn 32 and am wondering if I’m straddling a line of “ I wonder if people think of me and I hope that people are not”, outside of my very small circle
I am the same age as you and I have come to the conclusion that the only time anyone really thinks of me is when they need something from me.

7mm-08

WKR
Invest early in Vanguard 500 funds. Forget the market gyrations and just keep plugging away. Your older self will be very pleased with this advice (thanks, Mr. Buffett).

lak2004

WKR
Instead of pissing your money away on partying and drinking, buy points for every species in every western state.

Take the chances you knew you'd regret not taking. Commercial fishing Alaska, living in different places, etc.

Create healthy habits: exercise more, eat better, deal with anger sooner.

Spend more time with family and aging family members.

HTNFSH

FNG
#1 go fish with dad and grandpa in canadah
#2 tried more sports
#3 how important compounding interest over time, even with a small salary

Stalker69

WKR
20 years ago some prominent republicans were democrats.
Guess I should edit it. Don’t believe any politician. The republicans keep saying they have enough to put the bidens away for good, and not a damn thing happens. Makes you wonder who to believe, my thought is neither, at this point.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ll quote Childers. “Keep your nose on the grindstone and out of the pills.” Very content where I’m at but can’t help but wonder sometimes what might have been had I not pissed away half of a decade.

Can I go back 40 years?

#1 - Listen to that little voice in your head.
Choices, it's all about choices....

Last edited:

rcb2000

WKR
Be diligent about budgeting your money.
More money just equals the same challenges of when you didn’t have much,, it’s all relative.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Fire your business partner - you will make enough money to pay him off.
Don't worry so much about what other people think.
Being honest doesn't always mean you have to tell people what you think - you can keep your mouth shut.
Yes - your grandmother AND mother are crazy - don't ponder their comments and question yourself.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Take care of your body. And listen to your body. I would go on hurting myself no matter what just to make sure that I got the job done right. For the company. And exposed myself to more damage to my body. It's all cumulative. Always do your best but don't sacrifice yourself for someone else's gains.
Other than that I believe that the Good Lord has a plan. Just need to learn to sit back enjoy the ride

Lowg08

WKR
Don’t bear hunt with dogs it’s a giant money pit. Then don’t go sell your dogs and buy horses. A much larger money pit. Then don’t go sell horses and buy a boat. Another bad idea. That is all. For now.

Moab34

FNG
Acid reflex guys I’d recommend reading this series of articles by Chris Kresser. I was able to totally cure myself of GERD that had become debilitating. It’s been many years and I’m still GERD free without meds.