200 yard zero Questions ..

Need some insight from some more experienced shooters.. I got a Tikka T3X 300 WM with a VX5 that came with a custom turret for Barnes TTSX 180gr. Dial starts at 200 yards so I’m trying to achieve a zero at that range. I want to be able to use the dial and would like to be able to hold dead on for upto 3-350 yards. I am having a hard time getting my groups tight at 200 yards. Any insight or tips for shooting or setup would be greatly appreciated! All shots have been out of a lead sled with a cold barrel.
IMG_0207.jpegIMG_0209.jpeg

You can't say the L word here in the LR forum, you're gonna get scolded. :D

I'm surprised to see it open up like that between 100 and 200 groups, that seems weird. Personally I prefer sandbags to the sled. JMO

Geewhiz

WKR
Also, a 200 yd zero means you will be zerod at 200, which means you likely wont be able to hold dead on at 300-350. You have a cds, dial for other ranges.

My best shooting (including when doing load development and confirming drops) results from shooting prone on a bipod with a rear bag. I cant shoot worth a dern from a lead sled for some reason.

OP
CanuckOutdoors
😂 I’ll remember that. I guess im just wondering if it’s possible for it to open that much? Again that could be totally my shooting as I am definitely a newer shooter.

Tmac

WKR
It could be a myriad of things. But I’d start with something simple first, shoot more groups with the same point of aim, see if that 100 grouping holds up or was just an anomaly, second try some different ammo.

OP
CanuckOutdoors
Also, a 200 yd zero means you will be zerod at 200, which means you likely wont be able to hold dead on at 300-350. You have a cds, dial for other ranges.

My best shooting (including when doing load development and confirming drops) results from shooting prone on a bipod with a rear bag. I cant shoot worth a dern from a lead sled for some reason.
that’s what I was trying to say lol. Maybe I will try some bags! Thanks

WKR
It could be a myriad of things. But I’d start with something simple first, shoot more groups with the same point of aim, see if that 100 grouping holds up or was just an anomaly, second try some different ammo.
I agree with this. Shoot 10 at 100 and see if it stays that tight. It will open up some, but how much?

I dont think parallax could make that big of a difference but maybe some of it, are you adjusting at 200?

OP
CanuckOutdoors
I agree with this. Shoot 10 at 100 and see if it stays that tight. It will open up some, but how much?

I dont think parallax could make that big of a difference but maybe some of it, are you adjusting at 200?
I have the side parallax dial adjusted to 100. I totally forgot to adjust it to 200. Would it make that much of a difference ?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Get more time in behind the gun. It definitely shouldn’t open up that much, especially with how tight your 100 yard group is. Might be worth it to reach out to some local and see if they can help you out. Your parallax adjustment will help your target look more in focus. I haven’t looked through your scope or another one like it, but it shouldn’t make that big of a difference.

Last edited:

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't rule out pilot error. I'm also a relatively new shooter and 300WM in a Tikka would be a handful for me, even off a bench.

Hard to draw any conclusions from just the two targets shown. The one at 100y looks good but could easily be a statistical anomaly. Something like 5-10 rounds will give you a better idea of what you and the gun can do.

Last edited:
OP
CanuckOutdoors
I wouldn't rule out pilot error. I'm also a relatively new shooter and 300WM in a Tikka would be a handful for me, even off a bench.

Hard to draw any conclusions from just the two targets shown. The one at 100y looks good but could easily be a statistical anomaly. Something like 5-10 rounds will give you a better idea of what you and the gun can do.
100% agree! I have no problem shooting the gun. I have used it for the last 3 seasons on several WT bucks. But this year i have been trying to shoot more and want to be more comfortable with longer ranges. Especially as I have drawn my first moose tag. Just want to make sure I have the best chance at making a good shot on a bull. Back to the range I go! Thanks

parshal

WKR
Can you share a pic of the custom turret? All that I've seen have a spot for 100 where you'd zero. The 200 mark is only gonna be a couple clicks away from that 100. I'd much rather use the 100 yard zero and just dial.

The sled is a hindrance. Lightweight 300 win mags are a handful for experienced shooters and not good for an inexperienced shooter. Also, 3 shots isn't enough to tell you anything at any range.

Shoot 10+shots at 100 yards, then again at 200. And when you do that what you're likely to find is that your cds is very limiting, and the vx5 has a wandering zero.

Rich M

WKR
Do the ballistics calculator stuuf. Figure out what you need to zero at to dead hold to 350.

My 3006 150 gr, 2900 fps was 275 yds. Max rise was about 4.5 inch at 150 yds. Fall at 350 mighta been 5 or 6 inches.

Set zero1.25 - 1.5" high at 100.

Stop shooting from a lead sled if you want the best odds of that leupold holding zero.

A place you can start to improve your abilities is watch some of videos from well respected precision rifle guys on shooting fundamentals and dry fire a lot so you get more solid and consistent. Phillip Velayo has some good videos on youtube that cover some basics. "shooters checklist" "building a bridge".

OP
CanuckOutdoors
Can you share a pic of the custom turret? All that I've seen have a spot for 100 where you'd zero. The 200 mark is only gonna be a couple clicks away from that 100. I'd much rather use the 100 yard zero and just dial.

Attachments

• IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 62
OP
CanuckOutdoors
The sled is a hindrance. Lightweight 300 win mags are a handful for experienced shooters and not good for an inexperienced shooter. Also, 3 shots isn't enough to tell you anything at any range.

Shoot 10+shots at 100 yards, then again at 200. And when you do that what you're likely to find is that your cds is very limiting, and the vx5 has a wandering zero.
Thanks for the tips! All valid points. Vx5 don’t like to hold there zero?