2013 Fitness Goals

Wrongside

WKR
Other than paying closer attention to diet, eating 'more' paleo, and more training with a overloaded pack, I don't plan to change much. Just continue with the resistance training here at home. Lots of squats, dead lifts, pull ups, pushups, etc.

I guess, hopefully, more time on the mountain bike...

Wrongside

WKR
Keep your head down ...

Ha! That'll up the heart rate a little. I can definitely identify with the failure of your 'John Wayne voice'. Good for a laugh after the fact though.

We generally make a fair bit of extra noise when riding, more than a few locals have ridden up on bears and cats with somewhat, uhmm... varied results.

rhendrix

WKR
Any recommendations for shoes for a flat footed flat lander. Been running in a pair of brooks pure connect shoes the past couple of weeks and my arches and shins hate me right now.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
rhendrix,
I'm no pro trainer at running but have a few trainers who work for who are. We are learning (actually finally believing) that pain is not to be ignored and often signals "too much, too fast".

We get runners all the time complaining about injuries and when we quiz them, we usually find they have increased volume recently but didn't realize the increase was way too much.

Example, someone running 3 miles, 3x per week, steps up the volume to 4 miles, 4x per week. "Just a few miles" they think. They run that a few weeks and suddenly injuries appear and they are perplexed.

Yet the math shows that is a 33% increase in volume which is a lot.

In weight training, we typically apply 5% increases to avoid injury. My point is that if you have stepped up the volume (common when someone gets new shoes), that may be the pain source, not the shoes. Just a guess. Best of luck!

rhendrix

WKR
Thanks Robby, I was just walking and running for time, I haven't clocked mileage at all since I just started running again after a looooong layoff, alas, I probably bit off more than I could chew to begin with. I'm trying to run with a midfoot strike, which is what I think may only be compounding the problem. Either way, I'm sticking to rowing until the new year and letting my legs rest some.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
rhendrix,

If you are a heel-striker, your whole body will have to relearn how to run for a mid-foot strike. Do you have access to a top quality running store? Most die-hard running shops have a staff that can put you in the right shoes after watching you on the treadmill for a while.

Minimalist shoes aren't for everybody.

trkyslr

WKR
My goal for 2013 started three weeks ago... I joined a crossfit gym and going 4-5 days a week and either running or hiking on my off days. Ive always mixed in crossfit moves into my own workouts that last two years but when your in the class and getting pushed it makes a huge diff for me... My goal is to strengthen my core and legs... So far so good... Loving the pain!!!

To run smarter and create a plan around gaining speed and power. Don't have to be the fastest one to the top of the hill, just quicker than you guys!!!

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Just started two weeks ago
Two days:
• Bench
• Gorilla press
• Seated Military press
• Incline bench
• Pec deck
• Rotator flex
• Push-ups
• Core
Two days:
• Lat pull wide
• Lat pull row
• Bar pull ups
• Curls
• Leg press
• Lower back extension
Two days:
• Run two miles
• Alternate heavy bag: lower body/ upper body

KMT

WKR
My fitness goal is pretty modest. All I want to do is be in good enough shape to enjoy the activities that I like - whether it is hunting, skiing, biking, or just hiking around. With that said, I will continue resistance training 3 days per week with moderate weights supplemented by pull ups and pushups; downhill ski two days per week; and do some type of cardio twice per week. In the summer, I replace skiing with mouintainbiking. Near Denver, that usually means 3-4 miles of climbing followed by some fun downhill riding.

Just started two weeks ago
Two days:
• Bench
• Gorilla press
• Seated Military press
• Incline bench
• Pec deck
• Rotator flex
• Push-ups
• Core
Two days:
• Lat pull wide
• Lat pull row
• Bar pull ups
• Curls
• Leg press
• Lower back extension
Two days:
• Run two miles
• Alternate heavy bag: lower body/ upper body

This is an extreme bodybuilding split focused on upper body bulk it looks like.... That doesn't help you in the backcountry. You need to do squats and deadlifts, focus on running and leg strength along with compound movements. This will only hinder you in the mountains. Take it from a guy who has been there and done the whole big muscle bodybuilding split workouts.

Lukem

WKR
I was in pretty good shape when my son was born last May. Training went downhill from there. I'll have to learn how to balance it all and squeeze my runs in. That said, I'm hoping to run a marathon at the end of April and hope to go sub 315. I'd like to add some p90x in with my training to try and balance my endurance with some strength. I'll add some mountain and road biking in with it. Basically my main goal is to not be a weakling distance runner.

rhendrix - you got some good advice from Robby and BB, a typical rule of thumb (that I've heard, but don't always follow because I know what I can handle) is not to increase mileage by more than 10% each week. Minimalist shoes are a whole other issue as well. Like BB said, they aren't for everybody and can cause as many problems as they might solve if used incorrectly/too much too soon.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
My fitness goal is pretty modest. All I want to do is be in good enough shape to enjoy the activities that I like - whether it is hunting, skiing, biking, or just hiking around....
I agree!
This has been and will likely continue to be my primary fitness goal as well! It's amazing how much more I enjoy anything physically active when I am in good enough shape that I don't hate life while I am doing it! And I find that I am continually getting into better shape, which in turn encourages me to want to do even more, even farther, even faster :)

It's been too cold and windy to do much outside here lately, but when the weather and snow allow I will be cross country skiing and snowshoeing this winter. I have also be hitting lap swim for an hour at a time several days a week, as well as walking at 4mph or faster on our community indoor track (I can't tolerate running for any length of time due to an old injury, but I can get in some great exercise at a fast walk, ESP if there are inclines).

Sometimes I need an external motivator. Last spring I ran my first Triathalon and was amazed how much my spring training helped with summer backpack trips!

2rocky

WKR
To run smarter and create a plan around gaining speed and power. Don't have to be the fastest one to the top of the hill, just quicker than you guys!!!

To be able to keep up with AS.

To get my horse in real good trail shape. Both physical and mental.

to do a Ride n' tie in 2013.

Finish another 50k in March

have a PR in the local trail 1/2 marathon in April

to be able to pace a friend for a portion of a 100 miler this June.

When hunting season comes, never have to say "that buck/bull /bear is unreachable" when I glass one up.

To look better naked...

gotllamas

FNG
1. Kick the soda habit. 2. Drop 20 pounds 3. Run in a tough muddier in June. 4. Figure out a way to stay in shape during the two months of our peach harvest.

Being new to this site, I'm gonna post it up to keep myself honest. My goal for this year is to lose 20 pounds and significantly increase my cardio in anticipation of my first Alaska trip this year.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being new to this site, I'm gonna post it up to keep myself honest. My goal for this year is to lose 20 pounds and significantly increase my cardio in anticipation of my first Alaska trip this year.

Worthwhile goals, and welcome to the site WW! What will you be chasing in our fair state?