2014 golite shangrila 5

bandit1

FNG
Still worth every penny. It used to be over $500 before they changed their model and advertised it as 50% off retail. I bought mine right when they started that deal and it was $262, a number that I jumped on but was sure that they would not be able to sustain that low of a price point. In my opinion, it's been too good of a deal and they're just bringing the price to reality. It's a great tent for $350. Generally speaking, You get huge bang for the buck when buying GoLite products.

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
I just called my local store and they had one Evergreen left for $299, so may be worth checking if you have a store close. I will be picking this bad boy up soon, glad I didn't miss my chance at $299

Bighorse

WKR
I have the SL5 in the Epic fabric in Yellow. I also have a green SL3. I actually like the yellow fabric. It is bright inside when the clouds are covering the sky. You can see very well in low light too. I also like having a shelter made from hi vis colors in some situations. Lets say you do get in a pinch, having a large piece of fabric to attract attention for potential ariel rescue assistance can and is very important.

beaston

FNG
I just got my SL 5 yesterday. I thought the same thing about the color but I really like it . Its more of a deep gold color. I haven't had a chance to set it up but maybe this coming weekend. 2#'s with stakes is hard to beat for a palace. I will be using my trekking poles for the tent. The only thing I don't care for is the semi-flexible hoops at the peak for the vents. Makes it less compressible.

Anybody modify the hoops for packing?

colonel00

WKR
Anybody modify the hoops for packing?

Yeah, they can be annoying but I haven't really needed to modify them. I have gotten to where I just stuff the tent like a sleeping bag instead of trying to roll/fold it up all neat and all. I just start with the top of the tent and make sure those poles go in first. I currently stuff it into a lightweight stuff sack that I got with something else. It takes a little bit of work but then I can place it in a Kifaru back pouch along with my DIY tent stove and all of its parts. The fly w/ stove jack, stakes, stove parts and back pouch comes out to just under 6lbs and that is probably with more stakes than I need. Still, not too bad for that much space and the ability to heat it.

The "Yellow" is actually Bamboo according to the tag on the SL-5. Like beaston said, it is more of a gold. I do not camp in the open, so the color does not bother me. If the deal is good enough, I would buy neon colors!

dotman

WKR
The SL5 fits perfectly in an OR 10L dry bag. I do the same as Brad, stuff the top first and just keep stuffing.

CoSwede

FNG
Looks like there is still a (small) opportunity to get your evergreen SL-5 at last years prices. I just placed my order and got the evergreen SL-5 for $299. Seems on Wed they got some return inventory back from other stores. In talking to them it sounds like they might have only about 5 of 2013 evergreen models left.

beaston

FNG
Looks like there is still a (small) opportunity to get your evergreen SL-5 at last years prices. I just placed my order and got the evergreen SL-5 for $299. Seems on Wed they got some return inventory back from other stores. In talking to them it sounds like they might have only about 5 of 2013 evergreen models left.

That's nice.(not really)They will be getting a phone call from me. I called last week and they diligently stated that there wouldn't be any green available from last year, so I ordered a 2014..

CoSwede

FNG
Beaston - The guy I talked to acknowledged that he fielded several phone calls recently asking for the evergreen model and at the time he said there were none available. He said he was a bit surprised when the old 2013 inventory showed at his door sometime mid last week. I doubt they were intentionally misleading you as at the time he didn't have them.

Brad - I didn't ask if there were any changes (other than color) with the 2014 models. Was pleased enough to get last years prices and my color of choice to not question what I might be missing out on.

beaston

FNG
Thanks CoSwede,

I'll just suck it up and take it like a man. I've actually become partial to the bamboo, just didn't like the price increase.

Muttley

FNG
I sent them an email last Tuesday if they had any of the green ones in stock- they replied no. Them Wednesday they sent me another email saying some of their stores had sent a few back from clearing shelves for the new ones. I placed an order that evening and received it today, just about the quickest shipping I have seen to Ketchikan! Now if it would only stop raining so I can set it up outside and check her out... to bad that's not goin to happen anytime soon, guess it goin to get wet sometime!

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
I would have rather had the bamboo color honestly, but not for $50 more. I got hte last one at the COS store at the old price before the new came in

I bought the yellow several years ago, the wife made it perfectly clear she would not be sleeping in a tent without a floor so I've never actually used it other than being extreme in the front yard. It is a bright sucker inside though. I need to get off my arse and get a stove jack for it.

She is happy in the one with the nest, refuses to crawl into my other tents now.

OP
B
thanks for that update fellows,called them up and got the last one at 299,just can't do bamboo
,what do you all do with the heavy nest? sell em or keep em?