2021 Mill Creek Watershed Bull Elk Hunt

ianpadron

WKR
Wanted to draw the WA tag my whole time in that state, think I'll continue putting in as a nonresident haha

OP
Oregonbowguy
Wanted to draw the WA tag my whole time in that state, think I'll continue putting in as a nonresident haha
You actually have a better chance. If 10% of tags (2) are reserved for non resident, you have a better chance than residents going for 23 tags because thousands of applicants chase those tags.

Jmac91

FNG
Awesome bull man. I drew the tag in 2021 as well and don’t like to make excuses but life kind of turned upside down right before the hunt didn’t get to hunt but just a few days saw some awesome bulls but didn’t get to pull the trigger. Was pretty bummed out that I drained 13pts and was unsuccessful. Fast forward to 2022 draws I would have normally just put in for a point saver but thought hey you can’t win if you don’t play the game so I applied for the tag again and I couldn’t believe it but I was granted redemption with another tag with what I learned last year I’m excited to make the most of another opportunity 👌

OP
Oregonbowguy
Awesome bull man. I drew the tag in 2021 as well and don’t like to make excuses but life kind of turned upside down right before the hunt didn’t get to hunt but just a few days saw some awesome bulls but didn’t get to pull the trigger. Was pretty bummed out that I drained 13pts and was unsuccessful. Fast forward to 2022 draws I would have normally just put in for a point saver but thought hey you can’t win if you don’t play the game so I applied for the tag again and I couldn’t believe it but I was granted redemption with another tag with what I learned last year I’m excited to make the most of another opportunity 👌
Remember the fire activity last year pushed bulls into the shed. If I drew it again, I'd walk down Low Ridge and glass back at Indian. The two biggest bulls in 2021 were on Indian. You can't glass it from the road because it's at your feet! Good luck...and get mules lined up now!

OP
Oregonbowguy
That was my plan the first few days come in the bottom on low and look back into Indian almost all the bulls I saw were in the lower 3rd of the unit lots of miles from the top down in before getting into them. Thanks for the info 👍
That bottom has ZERO trails. You can't see crap from in there...I know! You'll have a wide open, easy walk down ridge on Low, just start 1 hour before sunrise (legal). Then you'll be in the lower 3rd at just the right time and all the while keeping your scent (and buddies) from moving up the face of Indian.

Hunt it like a bow hunter and you'll connect!

Jmac91

FNG
That bottom has ZERO trails. You can't see crap from in there...I know! You'll have a wide open, easy walk down ridge on Low, just start 1 hour before sunrise (legal). Then you'll be in the lower 3rd at just the right time and all the while keeping your scent (and buddies) from moving up the face of Indian.

Hunt it like a bow hunter and you'll connect!
Good info thank you the bottom is thick that’s for sure

This is an amazing elk and a great story, thanks for sharing. Any advice on where to camp? So we don't have to get up hours earlier just to drive?

OP
Oregonbowguy
Depends upon whether or not you can go up 3 or more days before and secure a spot. Look around Deduct Springs. There are a few good spots still about 3-5 days before. Remember, unless it changed, Walla Walla unit has a spike tag same time frame.

I've got the tag this year. Looking forward to some good hunting. This will be my last big bull tag for Oregon so I hope to make it count.

OP
Oregonbowguy
Thank you..My 1998 350 archery bull was palmated, lots of mass, color wasn't as cool.