2022 Haul Road Caribou Hunt. Who is going????

OP
SKIHUNTFISH
We may or may not run up there for a suicide run once the weather hits up there. Had a very humbling experience last year.

Pending sheep season this year we may haul up the raft and do a float next fall. Time will tell.
What happened last time?

OP
SKIHUNTFISH
Does anyone have a packing list for the hunt? I want to compare my list against someone elses for a gut check.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
What happened last time?
Lack of a competent bow tech in Fairbanks. Did plenty of stalks on decent bulls but wasn't confidence past 40-50 yards knowing my peep was jacked up. It was a blast though. The bull on the right was the smallest I stalked. Couldnt get closer than 80 yards. F1F9F682-4571-4DF0-8DEF-9EB3A07DE371.jpeg

Deerkilr

FNG
Lack of a competent bow tech in Fairbanks. Did plenty of stalks on decent bulls but wasn't confidence past 40-50 yards knowing my peep was jacked up. It was a blast though. The bull on the right was the smallest I stalked. Couldnt get closer than 80 yards. View attachment 430519
What time frame did yal go up last year Cody? My buddy and I are flying up Aug 15th and heading North after em

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
What time frame did yal go up last year Cody? My buddy and I are flying up Aug 15th and heading North after em
We were there around the same time you're planning on being there. Things were a little slow but once the weather pushed in the caribou split. We boogied back to Fairbanks and shot our caribou off 40 mile.

Deerkilr

FNG
We were there around the same time you're planning on being there. Things were a little slow but once the weather pushed in the caribou split. We boogied back to Fairbanks and shot our caribou off 40 mile.
I got ya. My buddy's parents have a house up there. We went up back in 2020 and went up the Steese Highway and got after them on 4 wheelers. Pretty sure that'll be our backup plan for this trip unless I can get some horses located to pack into the mountains

Lack of a competent bow tech in Fairbanks. Did plenty of stalks on decent bulls but wasn't confidence past 40-50 yards knowing my peep was jacked up. It was a blast though. The bull on the right was the smallest I stalked. Couldnt get closer than 80 yards. View attachment 430519

Worst Bow Tech ever in Fairbanks, hated having to go there for anything..... until Screaming Eagle showed up. Chris and Andrew are great.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
Worst Bow Tech ever in Fairbanks, hated having to go there for anything..... until Screaming Eagle showed up. Chris and Andrew are great.
Met Andrew not too long ago. I'll be dropping the rig off here soon.

A cheap but nice thing to have up the Dalton is a cheap squeegee and a bucket to clean your windows and headlights. Just like spare tires, you can't carry enough paper towels and Windex.

A cheap but nice thing to have up the Dalton is a cheap squeegee and a bucket to clean your windows and headlights. Just like spare tires, you can't carry enough paper towels and Windex.
Just got back from up there and this was sound advice. cleaned headlights, mirrors, and taillights several times.

Anyone know Steve “Simley” Keel from Tennessee? Guess he’s been missing up there for several days.
Came here to mention this. If anyone sees anything that could be considered a clue (tough to differentiate from trash) to his whereabouts, please contact the troopers. Including the photo for folks to see the clothing/gear he may have with him. Missing since Saturday, August 27.

Attachments

• 300901456_10221294294053197_5128861244766110487_n.jpg
    300901456_10221294294053197_5128861244766110487_n.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 109

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

There are so many small water holes that are DEEP enough to hold a body and they look smaller than a puddle. I suspect he could have walked into one easily...if the river wasn't a factor. Dang I hate to hear tragic endings like this.

JonnyB

WKR

There are so many small water holes that are DEEP enough to hold a body and they look smaller than a puddle. I suspect he could have walked into one easily...if the river wasn't a factor. Dang I hate to hear tragic endings like this.

I had a close call with one myself while up there solo about 5 years ago. It was a scary experience for sure. Hopefully they find him soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Shot a bou once and it disappeared, like there one second and gone the next (on open tundra). Searched for two long hours with binos and walking cross sections and circles from the last spot we saw blood. passed by a water puddle maybe 30" wide and 40" long, jet black tundra water. Saw part of an antler in the water....the whole caribou was underwater and under a soil and grass tuft-shelf. Never felt the bottom below. Dragged him out and butchered...amazed at our luck for finding it.

Same thing has happened in SE with deer. Crazy small holes they can fall into.

Shot a bou once and it disappeared, like there one second and gone the next (on open tundra). Searched for two long hours with binos and walking cross sections and circles from the last spot we saw blood. passed by a water puddle maybe 30" wide and 40" long, jet black tundra water. Saw part of an antler in the water....the whole caribou was underwater and under a soil and grass tuft-shelf. Never felt the bottom below. Dragged him out and butchered...amazed at our luck for finding it.

Same thing has happened in SE with deer. Crazy small holes they can fall into.
Do these just look like a dark colored puddle and one can step in it not suspecting anything?

Saw this in the bend in the road at the Kaparuk River crossing on 8/27. It (or an identical one) flew over us on 8/25. Anyone know if the pilot is ok?

20220827_202229.jpg