2022 Rokslide Cold Bow Challenge Q&A Thread

The site for me that last couple days, when I click on the alerts it drops down over the main page, but then before I can click on the alert it swaps pages to the full page of alerts.
Something wierd is happening.
This^^^ it’s actually a bigger UI issue if using browser on your phone than one would think because it’ll ultimately take you from the post you were on and then I got lost trying to return to where I was creeping on everyone’s CBC daily updates.

Flip side , it did force me to learn that you can click on the “…” in the pack toggle and type in the page to return to where I left off.

Side note, I was very good for my morale to see that I’m not the only one struggling. I wish no bad shots on anyone but going into my first CBC I was very concerned about participating and get stuck reporting misses if the happened (they did). @robby denning missing day 1 actually encouraged me to participate. I went 3/5 in some bad wind at 50 with a new bow so it could have been worse I guess.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Annnnnd done. Post 92 page 5.

Considering my small 5" target and 80 yard MER I'm happy with all my attempts except for day 2.
Thank you Rob for all your efforts. Oh the wife wasn't having any of the apple on her head idea. I'll do the truck cab next year. LoL

I just want to say that I really enjoyed doing the CBC. I chose a 60 yard MER on a 3" square because I haven't been practicing at all before this. Post #73.

I think we all get caught up just flinging away during normal practice and not really feeling the pressure that we do in a hunting situation. This is a great way to not only slow down the shot process but also recreates the "I have to make this shot count" mentality and stress while hunting.

I drew a LE deer tag here in Utah with 12 points last year and decided to take a different approach to tuning my bow than I normally do. Normally I do all my initial tuning with field points and then transition to BHs about a month before season after 3d shoots are over.

Last year after putting a fresh set of strings on I did all of my tuning (Paper, bareshaft, walk back, line tuning) with the Sevr 1.5's in practice mode. I've never been more confident with a hunting setup, period. I can switch to field points and they hit the exact same spot out to 80 yards. Usually shooting FPs all spring and summer and getting the tape dialed I have to slightly tweak things slightly to transition to broadheads which can be frustrating. The Sevr is a great flying BH but it is still longer and has more drag than a FP which can and will tune differently and drop more especially at distance. Sorry for the long winded post but just wanted to let others hear my experience.

huntnful

WKR
I just want to say that I really enjoyed doing the CBC. I chose a 60 yard MER on a 3" square because I haven't been practicing at all before this. Post #73.

I think we all get caught up just flinging away during normal practice and not really feeling the pressure that we do in a hunting situation. This is a great way to not only slow down the shot process but also recreates the "I have to make this shot count" mentality and stress while hunting.

I drew a LE deer tag here in Utah with 12 points last year and decided to take a different approach to tuning my bow than I normally do. Normally I do all my initial tuning with field points and then transition to BHs about a month before season after 3d shoots are over.

Last year after putting a fresh set of strings on I did all of my tuning (Paper, bareshaft, walk back, line tuning) with the Sevr 1.5's in practice mode. I've never been more confident with a hunting setup, period. I can switch to field points and they hit the exact same spot out to 80 yards. Usually shooting FPs all spring and summer and getting the tape dialed I have to slightly tweak things slightly to transition to broadheads which can be frustrating. The Sevr is a great flying BH but it is still longer and has more drag than a FP which can and will tune differently and drop more especially at distance. Sorry for the long winded post but just wanted to let others hear my experience.
Awesome!! Were you successful on the LE tag?!

huntnful

WKR

Considering my small 5" target and 80 yard MER I'm happy with all my attempts except for day 2.
Thank you Rob for all your efforts. Oh the wife wasn't having any of the apple on her head idea. I'll do the truck cab next year. LoL
Nice CBC grouping! What velocity are you getting out of that setup?

I have a very similar arrow weight, but a 30.5” draw and was looking at that 80lb RX7

Awesome!! Were you successful on the LE tag?!
Yes I was able to make a perfect quartering away shot at 63 yards on one of the bucks I found during scouting. 2nd day of the hunt, 1st stalk.
3a7894904d6e7c1c5d82298ee93635e9.jpg
a97f0ea5e49756ea12f856373d2e76eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This^^^ it’s actually a bigger UI issue if using browser on your phone than one would think because it’ll ultimately take you from the post you were on and then I got lost trying to return to where I was creeping on everyone’s CBC daily updates.

Flip side , it did force me to learn that you can click on the “…” in the pack toggle and type in the page to return to where I left off.

Side note, I was very good for my morale to see that I’m not the only one struggling. I wish no bad shots on anyone but going into my first CBC I was very concerned about participating and get stuck reporting misses if the happened (they did). @robby denning missing day 1 actually encouraged me to participate. I went 3/5 in some bad wind at 50 with a new bow so it could have been worse I guess.
Sure thing man and thanks for coming out. I drop at least one arrow per CBC. Keeps me humble and striving for better.

3/5 for you in wind not too bad! Wind makes a big difference on the shooter’s form

IT is aware of that page-jump glitch. Thanks

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

You should be very happy with 4/5 on a 5” target at 80 yards!!!

thanks for supporting the CBC

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Hey man, no worries on being long-winded, that’s what this Q&A thread if for.

I bolded above your statements that I wanted to hit on.

Yes, that’s why we do the CBC, as I learned a long time ago from better archers than me that just flinging arrows doesn’t necassarily equate to a better 1st shot killing arrow. A few archers challenge me on this concept and that’s all good, but I notice they don’t come out for the CBC either.

And that is good to know your experience with the SEVR as I couldn’t figure out why they were hitting lower than my IW 100s! So it’s the longer arrow that’s causing that. Thanks!

And great buck too in your other post.

thanks for shooting the 2022 CBC

LONE HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, that’s why we do the CBC, as I learned a long time ago from better archers than me that just flinging arrows doesn’t necassarily equate to a better 1st shot killing arrow. A few archers challenge me on this concept and that’s all good, but I notice they don’t come out for the CBC either.
Another point I think western hunters really need to pay attention to is how much harder it is to make a shot of any distance with poor footing, steep uphill or downhill etc. Shooting in a flat picturesque field with perfect footing doesn't really tell you how well you can shoot in mountain conditions. I love testing myself on real world shots. And I bet easton loves it too since that's usually when I break arrows

huntnful

WKR
Yes I was able to make a perfect quartering away shot at 63 yards on one of the bucks I found during scouting. 2nd day of the hunt, 1st stalk.
3a7894904d6e7c1c5d82298ee93635e9.jpg
a97f0ea5e49756ea12f856373d2e76eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Whoa!! Beautiful heavy buck!! Good for you dude!!
Thank you
I'm getting 293 fps with those specs.
Awesome! I’m getting 288fps with a 490gr. in a 75lb VXR. Not sure how much I would gain if I made the switch.

Sure thing man and thanks for coming out. I drop at least one arrow per CBC. Keeps me humble and striving for better.

3/5 for you in wind not too bad! Wind makes a big difference on the shooter’s form

IT is aware of that page-jump glitch. Thanks
Thanks Robby, page jump was actually resolved already this morning., at least for me

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
@SQP welcome to the CBC! Not to shabby of a start for just getting a bow in March. Best of luck on Day 5...
whoops, just noticed you posted all arrows in one day. @realunlucky will direct you on how that's supposed to go. Now that you've settled a specific arrow, your shooting is bound to only improve @SQP

Finished my day 5 yesterday while working remotely. Yep, packed bow and target. What did I learn?
I remembered watching the social media hunters filming hunts where they winged an arrow and wounded a non recovered animal, and I would think, "idiots" Why take that shot, etc... I quit watching all of them as I seemed to find something negative with all of them. Plus I hated how the woods became packed partially as a result of their self promotion- all of them from the good guys to the bad guys.
But then I missed a shot maybe 2 in this CBC and thought, wow. I had no pressure and still couldn't deliver.
Does this change my mind on SM warriors- nope. But I repented for my critical attitude towards them.