2023 NRL Hunter Match Schedule

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
great pics!

Can spectators go to these matches? I'm assuming they aren't allowed out at the shooting stations but is there anything someone could do out there? I'd like to go to one to check it out because it's something that I'd like to start getting involved in.

The Leupold event will be held this summer about 45min from where I live.
Spectators have been encouraged at the matches I shot.

Flyjunky

WKR
Awesome! Definitely do it! Skills division is the cheapest and everyone will be so willing to help you out. The only thing is you can’t walk the prize table. You will gain so much knowledge though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis, what is the skills division all about? I can't find info on it.

instead of just going to watch the one near me next year I might just go and do it instead.

edit: Nevermind, I found the info

tak

WKR
Were you using a bag off of the rocks?

yes, absolutely,
I use a heavy game changer schmedium with heavy sand fill. I do take a pint sized game changer with git lite for actual hunting.

tak

WKR
Travis, what is the skills division all about? I can't find info on it.

instead of just going to watch the one near me next year I might just go and do it instead.

edit: Nevermind, I found the info

Yes, I was going to say just plan to shoot skills division, you'll have fun. If you only went to spectate, you'd wish you had your rifle!

gtriple

WKR
@Justin Crossley how do they treat detachable bipods like the Spartan Javelins? I've got a couple of those that I run on my hunting rifles. Do you have to include the Javelin in the weight of the rifle? Are you allowed to "add" it afterwards because it is readily detachable just like a tripod?

On the tripod note... I'm not sure I've seen many hunters running through the mountains with these heavyweight tripods or shooting bags... there's something to be said about NRL Hunter matches actually using the gear that a hunter would take into the field instead of just the rifle.

inkedspot

FNG
I use a bone bag with Git Lite fill for the Hunter matches as well as for hunting. The bag weighs exactly 2 lbs and is really stable. I carry my RRS tripod and lightweight tac table plate with me hunting as well. I will glass off the plate and bag and shoot off it if necessary. I don't bring much of anything to the matches that I wont take with me hunting. Its a very handy shake out tool to show you what needs work before you find out with an animal in front of you.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
@Justin Crossley how do they treat detachable bipods like the Spartan Javelins? I've got a couple of those that I run on my hunting rifles. Do you have to include the Javelin in the weight of the rifle? Are you allowed to "add" it afterwards because it is readily detachable just like a tripod?

On the tripod note... I'm not sure I've seen many hunters running through the mountains with these heavyweight tripods or shooting bags... there's something to be said about NRL Hunter matches actually using the gear that a hunter would take into the field instead of just the rifle.
You would have to reach out and ask them that, but I would assume you would have to count the weight of the bipod even with a Javelin.

I do carry the heavy tripod and bag in the field on some hunts. Obviously not backpack hunts though. I shot my Colorado buck off a heavy tripod last year and I shot my antelope with my match rifle this year.

parshal

WKR

Bipod weight is included with the rifle. Everyone running bipods has a removable one.

Funny thing about the tripod comment. I had a lightweight tripod that I'd bring hunting and a heavy one for PRS matches. I recently sold the lightweight one. The heavy one is much more stable in all shooting positions especially standing. After five NRL Hunter matches I've decided to leave my bipod at home on my hunts and just use the tripod.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just picked up a truckload of animal targets to set up on my buddy's property after hunting season. I think this will be a good start to building a sweet practice range.

20221010_151710.jpg

gtriple

WKR
@Justin Crossley what's the typical schedule of a weekend event? Do you shoot all 3 days?

Is it possible to share guns/gear between multiple shooters? I've got a couple of family members that I'd like to take, but they don't have their own gear so they'd be borrowing mine.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
@Justin Crossley what's the typical schedule of a weekend event? Do you shoot all 3 days?

Is it possible to share guns/gear between multiple shooters? I've got a couple of family members that I'd like to take, but they don't have their own gear so they'd be borrowing mine.
Friday is weigh in and velocity check. Only the RO's shoot the course that day.

Saturday and Sunday are the match days and usually Saturday will be a little longer.

You can share gear if shooting the Skills division but I don't think you can if shooting the other divisions.

Check with the NRL Hunter Facebook page or website to be sure though.

parshal

WKR
There are usually 20 stages. You'll usually shoot 12-14 on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. There are a total of 8 points on stages, usually, so, if you hit every target on the first shot you'd need 4 rounds. Double if you miss everything. Plus, rounds for sight-in and velocity check (usually 3 rounds).

Macintosh

WKR
the closest match to me is a 15 hour drive one way. Next closest 2 are each 20 hours one way. As much as I'd like to, afraid that just aint happening.

Ucsdryder

WKR
f3d1e2d8729134ec4154497c52318ae5.jpg

Here is some more info on locations and match directors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lindon, CO in February!!!! Bring your jacket!

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
So, I thought I would throw this here. I just shot my first NRL Hunter match and it was a Hunter 1 format. I've been shooting competitively for a while, mostly 3 gun but also PRS and rimfire PRS. So I would like to put some lessons learned here, so it might help someone else who wants to try it out.

For the Hunter 1 matches, they are a great way to get out and actually shoot your hunting gear. I shot the whole match with my sub 10 pound 7 SAUM. One guy shot his 300 Win mag. I used the exact same set up I carried elk hunting, minus the pack. I swapped from a Kifaru to a Eberlestock Gunslinger. For this game, I would change from a separate binoculars and rangefinder setup to a set of range finding binoculars. I would also get a schmedium Game Changer with Git Lite fill.

As far as the rifle is concerned, I do plan on getting a 25 PRC steel barrel turned, as I want to add some weight and try to save my SAUM barrel strictly for hunting. These matches are a great opportunity to get out and run your gear. It also puts you in some situations that make you think and build a good base to shoot from.

nobody

WKR
Glad I stumbled across this thread, I'm going to be running factory class starting in 2023 having never competed in anything shooting related in my entire life. My hope is to make it to 4 matches and not make a complete idiot of myself. I'm totally terrified because I'll be totally out of my element and beyond my comfort level, but I know it'll be great for my shooting and it really does look fun in watching videos on YouTube.

Hopefully the CTR I traded two rifles in on last week works well enough to allow me to hit a target or two!

Any advice for a newbie from the veterans?

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
Glad I stumbled across this thread, I'm going to be running factory class starting in 2023 having never competed in anything shooting related in my entire life. My hope is to make it to 4 matches and not make a complete idiot of myself. I'm totally terrified because I'll be totally out of my element and beyond my comfort level, but I know it'll be great for my shooting and it really does look fun in watching videos on YouTube.

Hopefully the CTR I traded two rifles in on last week works well enough to allow me to hit a target or two!

Any advice for a newbie from the veterans?
See if you can find a Hunter 1 match close that you can attend. While the stages aren't blind, they're set up to mimic what you encounter at a Hunter match when it comes to finding the targets. It will at least give you some sort of an idea of what's going to happen at the match. Range finding binoculars are a must. I tried binoculars and range finder and it took way too much time. Tripod with a bag and plate are nice.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425