.22-250 Suggestions?

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at getting a .22-250 for some predator hunting and I was wondering if you all had suggestions on a brand and model. Not looking at expensive models, but so far I was looking at the offerings from Weatherby, Tikka and Savage. I'm looking for a lighter gun, I'm not into the heavey barrels that most varmit guns have. What do you all recommend?

Browning.

These guns are hard to beat. A bit heavy to carry a long distance. But I promise you, they are the real deal.

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka for sure - that smooth action helps with follow up shots or knocking down doubles. Last thing you want to be doing is fiddling with the bolt when a coyote is beating feet across the hillside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my Kimber Montana for a calling rifle, but it is a .223. I'd recommend a Tikka assuming they barrel them in .22-250 with a fast twist...1 in 8.

JP100

WKR
Hard not to get a Tikka, there is a growing number of add ons for Tikkas now so you can 'upgrade' bits if you need.

We have one in .223 and a Sako A7(very similar to a tikka) in .22-250, both are great shooters

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
Back in the 1970's the 22-250 had a reputation as a barrel burner the only problem I had with it was wind drift and that is there with any of the 224 diameter bullet chamberings while many say the WSSM's are a dead issue I do not think so. the increase in vel is slight so the major worth is the catrige over all length I own a AR in 243WSSM and have a great time with it though it is hard on pelts.
For what you are intending I think the .223 would be the best choice given the type hunting and area you intend hunting. If you were in a more wide open area the 22-250 would be my choice though.

Hnttillmt

FNG
I wasn't aware the newer tikkas had a fast twist. If this is true then it's the hands down winner. I bought a Ruger American predator. For the money it's a great little rifle and I picked it mostly for the 1-10 twist so I can throw some heavier bullets if I want. It shoots the 62 ttsx pretty good and one of these days I'll kill an antelope with it.

22-250 is a hot round acccurate too would guess barrel throat life is about 1to10 compared to 223 can be cut back and rereamed once or twice inbetween new barrels if quarter inch groups are a necessity

BAKPAKR

WKR
Tikka T3X with the 1 in 8 twist works great.

If I were getting another 22-250, this is what I would get so I could use heavier bullets with a better ballistic coefficient that would really benefit from the velocity advantage the 22-250 has over the 223.

mcseal2

WKR
There was a run of 1 in 8 Ruger american predators I think from whittakers. That would be a great choice for heavy bullets. I bought a 1 in 10 version but have not yet set it up. I want to try 60gr tipped matchkings.

Old rem 700 lvsf is sweet. Love mine but rarely touch it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3sdad

FNG
No bad choices really. Predators won't know what hit em. I personally have a remage chambered in 204. Downed 30 dogs last fall. If I did it over I would've just went straight for the tikka. Tikka's triggers are phenomenal compared to remington which really helps when making those off hand shots. Working thru the wiggle is much easier with a good trigger. Also, if you're gonna be packing dogs out, a light weight rifle with a 22'' or less barrel is awesome.

I have a Savage model 11 22-250. Sweet little gun and with hand loads it shoots well under 1/2 MOA. Shorter barrel and light weight. The 22-250 definitely burns more powder than the 223 but the 3700 FPS with a 55gr bullet is hard to not love.

Tikka would get my vote, they are just smooth and accurate rifles. The T3X Lite checks a lot of boxes without breaking the bank..

Last edited: