22 hornet

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
For some reason I have a new fixation on 22 hornets. Looking at availability of rifles and ammo, would you stomp out the flame or double down on the acquisition?

I have a 22 hornet barrel for my k-95 and would definitely prefer it be a 1-8 223 if they would ever make that barrel for the k-95.

Negatives for the hornet
- almost non existent ammo
-thin cases that can be a bit difficult to load
- cases stretch and have to be trimmed more often than modern shaped cartridges
-mild ballistics

Pros
-nostalgic
-small case makes subsonics pretty easy for small game
- small case and powder charge does make for a pretty mild report
- rim makes pulling the case out a bit easier in a single shot

Double down! The grand old hornet is one of my personal favorites. I have a browning abolt micro hunter that is one of my favorite rifles.
The 22 hornet is definitely best suited as a handloaders baby. Factory ammunition can be difficult to find and with the nature of the hornet as a whole,accuracy can be fussy with generalized ammunition.
But if you’re willing to deal with the stumbling blocks, the hornet is a wonderful cartridge for varmints inside 300 yards. I’ve been very effective to 300 yards with my 22 hornet on western pa groundhogs.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpeg
    IMG_1585.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1414.jpeg
    IMG_1414.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 17
If you reload, go for it. I wouldn't want one with only factory ammo. It is an awesome cartridge in a CZ 527 if you can find one. I've had both standard and improved in 527's and both were shooters.

I’ve got some good memories sitting on a dog town wasting dad’s hornet ammo! When I looked into one my own I saw quite a bit of brass but no factory ammo. I ended up going 204 Ruger since the old man still has a few hornets. I still pick em up and blast some dogs with them! It’s a cool little round!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back