22 hornet

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
For some reason I have a new fixation on 22 hornets. Looking at availability of rifles and ammo, would you stomp out the flame or double down on the acquisition?

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 22 hornet barrel for my k-95 and would definitely prefer it be a 1-8 223 if they would ever make that barrel for the k-95.

Negatives for the hornet
- almost non existent ammo
-thin cases that can be a bit difficult to load
- cases stretch and have to be trimmed more often than modern shaped cartridges
-mild ballistics

Pros
-nostalgic
-small case makes subsonics pretty easy for small game
- small case and powder charge does make for a pretty mild report
- rim makes pulling the case out a bit easier in a single shot

Unclecroc

FNG
Double down! The grand old hornet is one of my personal favorites. I have a browning abolt micro hunter that is one of my favorite rifles.
The 22 hornet is definitely best suited as a handloaders baby. Factory ammunition can be difficult to find and with the nature of the hornet as a whole,accuracy can be fussy with generalized ammunition.
But if you’re willing to deal with the stumbling blocks, the hornet is a wonderful cartridge for varmints inside 300 yards. I’ve been very effective to 300 yards with my 22 hornet on western pa groundhogs.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpeg
    IMG_1585.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1414.jpeg
    IMG_1414.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 17
If you reload, go for it. I wouldn't want one with only factory ammo. It is an awesome cartridge in a CZ 527 if you can find one. I've had both standard and improved in 527's and both were shooters.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i'd wait to see if ammo ever comes back. i haven't seen 22 hornet ammo in years.
maybe if you get a rifle for cheap and have space to hang it over the fireplace....

Unclecroc

FNG
I would agree but you can’t even find brass to handload. It’s a shame because it really is a great cartridge
Yes really have to keep your eyes peeled but it can be had. Pvrivi is usually decent for availability and it’s quality brass. I’ve seen nosler on and off too over the past few years.

6.5x284

WKR
I’ve got some good memories sitting on a dog town wasting dad’s hornet ammo! When I looked into one my own I saw quite a bit of brass but no factory ammo. I ended up going 204 Ruger since the old man still has a few hornets. I still pick em up and blast some dogs with them! It’s a cool little round!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk