.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
2 evenings ago I had no exit with the 6 arc and 108 eldm. 200ish yards, no heavy bone impact, just behind the shoulder. Absolutely grenaded the insides tho. 150#ish Doe. It's also a sample of 1. Seemed to be one that was just tough, she reared back and hit the dirt, thought it was a drt, but got up and took off. Went about 100 yards, then went down in the field.

Guess I'll put the next one thru the shoulder.

Good bit of experience with .260 and 6.5C with Amax snd ELD-M’S (140&147), seems to be a consistent exit performance on WT.

I don’t expect exits with anything. I’ve caught more Barnes TSX bullets in deer than all others combined- that doesn’t mean TEX’s don’t exit. It just means that if you shoot enough, some won’t exit. The most consistent exiters have been Nosler Partitions for what it’s worth.

woods89

WKR
I would shoot bone with 77TMK’s and be done. However, baring that- in 223 for exits generally, the 75gr Hornady HPBT will usually exit, but doesn’t kill as quickly. 88gr ELD-M’s will usually do it as well from 223’s on up. 6mm’s like the ARC, 243/6CM with the aforementioned 95gr NBT, 108gr ELD-M, etc will do it. Also for exits, the Hornady 105gr HPBT does really well.
Great info. Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

LimeSpoon

FNG
I don’t expect exits with anything. I’ve caught more Barnes TSX bullets in deer than all others combined- that doesn’t mean TEX’s don’t exit. It just means that if you shoot enough, some won’t exit. The most consistent exiters have been Nosler Partitions for what it’s worth.
This may be moving a bit outside the scope (no pun intended) of the original intent of this thread, but as someone who finds terminal ballistics an interesting subject, I've had this question on my mind:

How wide would you guess the wound channels in lungs produced by .223 TSXs at higher impact velocities (say 2700+ FPS) are, as an estimate in inches? I imagine it may change in diameter as the bullet continues to penetrate, expand, and slow down, so I suppose I'm just looking for an average.

Lately I have been examining the degree of similarity/overlap between the most destructive service caliber handgun rounds, which appear to create a hole about 1" across, and the less destructive rifle rounds. .223 TSX seems to be a good example of the latter, barring silly stuff like GP90 and brass solids that neither expand nor fragment.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How wide would you guess the wound channels in lungs produced by .223 TSXs at higher impact velocities (say 2700+ FPS) are, as an estimate in inches? I imagine it may change in diameter as the bullet continues to penetrate, expand, and slow down, so I suppose I'm just looking for an average.

Generally permanent cavity is about 1.5-2 inches wide.

Lately I have been examining the degree of similarity/overlap between the most destructive service caliber handgun rounds, which appear to create a hole about 1" across, and the less destructive rifle rounds. .223 TSX seems to be a good example of the latter

The worst rifle bullets are far more destructive of tissue than the best pistol service caliber bullets. Rifles are rifles and they do rifle things in tissue.

The volume of evidence and facts in this thread is pretty hard to argue.
Yes, there is a lot of facts but at a certain point it becomes people slinging stones. Me personally I wouldn't use .223 to kill anything bigger than a yotee. But that my opinion. If it keeps working for him then why not, until he has other outcomes, that my push him to think otherwise.

Darryle

WKR
Who is him?

I think he's painting the entire thread with one pronoun.

It's obvious he skimmed the thread, but didn't read it thoroughly.

Anytime you have a body of evidence across multiple platforms, multiple shooters, multiple scenarios and using multiple projectiles of the same diameter and of varying construction taking game of the variety posted within, it's hard to argue with the facts.

I will be the first to admit, I started this thread with a healthy dose of skepticism, but slowly began to morph from skeptic to believer, not so much because of the bullet itself, it was the number of and skill level of the various shooters, their variety of platforms, their different bullet choices and the varying scenarios.

This thread has the pitfall of TLDR, so they skim and amongst the naysayers, they miss some relevant posts.

It took me 11 days to thoroughly read this thread, decipher the pertinent information and come to my own conclusion. Most people cannot stay focused 11 minutes much less 11 days.

cod0396

FNG
Generally permanent cavity is about 1.5-2 inches wide.

The worst rifle bullets are far more destructive of tissue than the best pistol service caliber bullets. Rifles are rifles and they do rifle things in tissue.
Wow, that's way smaller than I was expecting (never used TSX before). Isn't that pretty much what the TMK does at velocities a bit under 2000 fps? I know consistent fragmentation is a huge force multiplier for rifle bullets, but it's still hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that one type of .223 HP bullet can make a permanent wound cavity that is literally twice the diameter as another .223 HP bullet at similar velocities.

Follow up question for Form: generally speaking, what would you estimate the permanent wound channel size to be for bonded soft points such as gold dots and fusion at higher impact velocities? I'm assuming roughly in between that of the TMK and TSX, but I don't have much experience with bonded bullets.