.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
No complaints about bullet performance for any of the 3 but I hunt in big woods forest and would like the insurance of a blood trail if at all possible. Looking at the 70gr Accubond and 75 gr Gold Dot now (if I can find them).

None of those bullets will consistently exit. All of them will caught by the offside hide about 50% of the time on 120-150 plus pound deer.

The monos are your best bet for an exit, however even they aren’t guaranteed, and you will deal with the relatively slow deaths they provide.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone running TAC with heavies ? I’ll be running that with 73 eldm and Hornady brass once I get the factory ammo shot this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
No clue. I’ve seen a bunch and while some have been rebarreled none were due to being shot out. My original T3 had a bit over 14k verified rounds on it (without so much as a patch through it) and had opened up from .7 moa when new to 1.4’ish moa- both are average for ten rounds groups. I was looking at replacement after the season, but had the barrel threaded for a can, and it went right back to sub moa for ten rounds.
You think this was because of a crown issue that would have been corrected with the thread job?

id_jon

WKR
Anyone running TAC with heavies ? I’ll be running that with 73 eldm and Hornady brass once I get the factory ammo shot this weekend

I have some 77smks loaded up that I haven't tested yet. I'll load up some 77tmks here soon too, will report back.

TAC has been good behind 77smk’s in my Tikka and behind 69smk’s in my Savage. It’s been easier to find than some of the more popular options lately.

SouthPaw

WKR
Thoughts on the tikka .223 CTR for a practice gun, 24" vs 20"? Maybe in a KRG Bravo? I have a built tikka in 7SAUM for a hunting rifle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stu

Lil-Rokslider
Thoughts on the tikka .223 CTR for a practice gun, 24" vs 20"? Maybe in a KRG Bravo? I have a built tikka in 7SAUM for a hunting rifle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I bought my 223 to mimic my main larger gun and act as a trainer.

Now it’s what I pick up 90% of the time, and being a super light is a big reason for that. For my use, I wouldn’t want it any heavier unless I were wanting to build a dedicated range toy or groundhog gun. And even then, I think I would still grab the super light most of the time.

My 6.5 is 24” and my 223 is about 22”. I much prefer the shorter barrel- it’s amazing to me how much easier it is get around with it, be it in and out of the truck and side by side, or not snagging on so much stuff when strapped to a pack.

Lawnboi

WKR
Tac is supposedly not the most temp stable, which is why I havnt bought any, though I have seen it everywhere, and hear it gets decent speed.

Midway had h4895, 2lb limit today, not cheap but 2 pounds gets you a ways with the 223.

The way I see it for powder, is you have the popular temp stable powders, Xbr, Varget and h4895. Then a few odd ball substitutes, followed by some less temp sensitive options.

I think choosing a powder depends a lot on what your shooting the ammo through. If you want to load to AR or tikka factory mag length…. Xbr is what you want. If your willing to buy extended mags, or are using aics, then you can get away with some of the slower burning, bigger grain powders. Atleast that’s been my findings.

That said…. We are not in a time to be picky. If I didn’t have the powder Iv got that’s temp stable I’d grab an 8lber of tac understanding it’s limitations.

anyone seen the CZ 600? they have a 1-7" twist .223 option, might be a pretty delivery system for heavy .22 cal bullets like the 77gr TMK, msrp 750.00 for the alpha, so likely sub 700.00 street price. i have never been around a CZ centerfire, but i like the 450 predator for killin' rats.

id_jon

WKR
anyone seen the CZ 600? they have a 1-7" twist .223 option, might be a pretty delivery system for heavy .22 cal bullets like the 77gr TMK, msrp 750.00 for the alpha, so likely sub 700.00 street price. i have never been around a CZ centerfire, but i like the 450 predator for killin' rats.
The Trail version looks like exactly what I've been wanting!

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Howa mini action ordered (the 4lb 10oz one) ordered with the intent of running the 77TMKs. It's stuck in port right now

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
Oooh I'd be very interested to see pics and your thoughts once you have it in hand.
I already have a Mini .223 and I'd love to see Howa sell that carbon stock on its own as an accessory.

I'm sure it'll work great with the 77s, another projectile that mine absolutely loves is the Hornady 75 BTHP.
I haven't really tested it too rigorously for accuracy due to using lower powered scopes, but I was getting 1/2" groups at 75m and they're proving quality killer projectiles on hogs and deer.

Last edited: