.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

OP
P

PNWGATOR

WKR
There is simply no debating the terminal performance of properly designed projectiles functioning within their velocity ranges regardless of their diameter.

In my limited, yet purposeful experience, the 77 TMK is often TOO MUCH bullet!

Really looking forward to the coming big game seasons and hopefully more to share on the terminal performance of the .223.

This happens pretty reliably where anytime there seems to be a deviation from traditional methods, inevitably the old timers show up to tell you, well, how old they are and how long they’ve been doing it the old way as if that somehow trumps a preponderance of empirical evidence.

Gorp2007

WKR
I trust anyone who's been around since before the shift key was invented.

You piqued my curiosity, looks like the shift key was first introduced in 1878 with the Remington Model 2 typewriter.

That being said, I may try to pick up a Tikka in 223 before this fall to see what it does to some pigs.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I stopped in to the lgs yesterday to look just in case. They had some powders I don't need, but when I was looking at the small stack of Sierras for some TMKsi was disappointed, again.

As I was turning to leave an older gent asked what I was looking for. I told him and he began telling me about his preference. I just nodded a lot, told him I'd tried most everything he'd mentioned. Then told him several of the bullets he'd mentioned worked well on game, but the most devastating thing I'd tried was the TMK.

The lecture began. After about a minute I interrupted him and asked if he'd ever shot anything but paper. "No" was his reply.

It never shocks me how little actual experience there is involved in all the bloviating.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
Guns and ego go together like peas and carrots. Few areas of male life feature quite the same status based incentive to speak with authority... regardless of experience or expertise. We are all naturally prone to generalize our own experience - our sample of one becomes representative of the whole. While that is a flawed approach in itself, we often fail to understand our sample of one. We don't know why something works... but, we know it did (at least once, anyhow). Superstitions, routines, and rituals are often manifestations of this.

I've taught a bunch of folks to shoot, primarily pistol. It never ceases to amaze that after more or less the same basic instruction women are punching holes out of the center and dudes are loading shit in the magazine backwards.

I stopped in to the lgs yesterday to look just in case. They had some powders I don't need, but when I was looking at the small stack of Sierras for some TMKsi was disappointed, again.

As I was turning to leave an older gent asked what I was looking for. I told him and he began telling me about his preference. I just nodded a lot, told him I'd tried most everything he'd mentioned. Then told him several of the bullets he'd mentioned worked well on game, but the most devastating thing I'd tried was the TMK.

The lecture began. After about a minute I interrupted him and asked if he'd ever shot anything but paper. "No" was his reply.

It never shocks me how little actual experience there is involved in all the bloviating.

I guess nobody on Sierra's staff has used them on game either.

"While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications."

Lawnboi

WKR
Hmmmmmm, may have to snag some up, anyone want a few boxes of the 75 eldm’s?! 😊
I’m tempted to get a few boxes as well. 75s shoot great out of my hunting rifle now. They are marginally stable and I’m not sure they are the bullet I want to choose when shooting in the winter. Iv got a bunch of 60 tmk to play with as well for that though. I want to save all my 77 tmk for deer until they become more available again

Rich M

WKR

Most folks yip and yap about stuff we/they have no business talking about. Gotta admit that it happens way more than it should.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I’m tempted to get a few boxes as well. 75s shoot great out of my hunting rifle now. They are marginally stable and I’m not sure they are the bullet I want to choose when shooting in the winter. Iv got a bunch of 60 tmk to play with as well for that though. I want to save all my 77 tmk for deer until they become more available again
Or in my part of the world, available at all, along with 6.5PRC brass!!

I don't have a .223 but I enjoy following this thread. I find it pretty amusing that after all of these pictures of animals with gaping wounds, you still get posts like the above.

No data, no evidence. Just a statement that it's a bad idea and doesn't work.

PNWGATOR posted his wife's moose and it looked pretty dead. All those deer? Dead. All of the actual evidence presented here shows these bullets to be terminally effective in a major way. Yet, there is no shortage of people claiming otherwise with no backup.

204guy

WKR
I haven't used the 75 eldm's, I'm still working through my stash of 75 amax's, but they've been absolutely death to deer and antelope.