.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

robtattoo

WKR
The difference is shooting groups in the .1's at 100 yards and putting rounds in the same splash on an IPSC at 1000 yards vs just hitting it.

If you're happy with 1MOA then carry on with cheap dies. I personally want to know my round is going to be as accurate as can be when I send a round at something because stacking variables is how you miss or make poor shots.

Last edited:
If you can't understand that stacking variables of rifle accuracy on top of shooter error and wind error reduces hit probability and that eliminating as many variables as possible increases it then there's no getting through to you. 3 people on the ignore list in an hour has to be some kind of a record though.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If you can't understand that stacking variables of rifle accuracy on top of shooter error and wind error reduces hit probability and that eliminating as many variables as possible increases it then there's no getting through to you. 3 people on the ignore list in an hour has to be some kind of a record though.

What is the hit rate difference between .1 MOA and .7 MOA groups at 600 yards on vital size targets (12”)?

And, how many .1 MOA hunting rifles you got?

fwafwow

WKR
I will guess what is intended and say it another way. Hunters acknowledge the myriad of variables, but also believe there are some variables that have such a small impact, and perhaps some of those are difficult to eliminate, that they use an 80/20 (or analogous) rule?

I will guess what is intended and say it another way. Hunters acknowledge the myriad of variables, but also believe there are some variables that have such a small impact, and perhaps some of those are difficult to eliminate, that they use an 80/20 (or analogous) rule?

They all add up and spending $50 more for a quality set of dies and the time to get straight ammo with low ES's to reduce the accuracy variable is pretty easy. People in here will pay over MSRP to get 77gr TMK's just because they're available for that price, but a quality set of dies is nonsense.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone plan on using PSA's Sabre 75g ammo on an animal this year? I only get one buck tag for all of deer season, or I would plan to try them out alongside TMKs.

The difference is shooting groups in the .1's at 100 yards and putting rounds in the same splash on an IPSC at 1000 yards vs just hitting it.

If you're happy with 1MOA then carry on with cheap dies. I personally want to know my round is going to be as accurate as can be when I send a round at something because stacking variables is how you miss or make poor shots.

The fact your gun supposedly shoots .10 MOA is actually irrelevant for hunting purposes out to 500-600 yards. That’s impressive grouping though for bench rest competition.

Playing with the Applied Ballistics app variables shows you how little your group size matters vs being 1MPH better at calling wind.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

How many legit on demand sub moa HUNTING rifles do you have?
I would love to hear about these setups. Seriously.
Who spun the barrels with which reamers?

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Color me "anxious" to try out my Rokslide Special on deer and elk !!

Here's a thought: How about accounting for every shot you fire at an animal with the 223/TMK combo?
First shot hit or miss? Vitals or wounding? Follow up shots?

I believe (forgive me form ;) ) the rate of first shot fatal hits and similar follow up shots will be higher than practically every higher recoiling round but, as this thread attempts to show, evidence trumps belief.

I'd like to see the same for the big bang supporters.

Of course there are variables we probably can't quantify such as more experienced/skilled
shooters shooting larger calibers vs beginners shooting 223, etc. Even so, that would be an interesting comparison.

Maybe a seperate thread where anyone shooting any cartridge can "bare their soul" ?

a) Good idea?
b) Bad Idea?
c) stfu fng?
One very important thing that doesn’t account for is whether or not a follow up shot is even possible. Due to the dramatically decreased recoil a 223 should allow for follow up shots way more frequently, whether they are needed or not. Not saying it’s a bad idea, but it may reflect poorly in the eyes of some when “I hit 3 times with a 223” even though the first shot was lethal, and the two follow up shots were possible purely because of the reduced recoil. On the other hand some of us will view that as evidence in favor of the dramatically increased shootability of small rounnds.