270 win 130gr GMX for Moose

aussiehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Planning stages for a trip for Kamchatka Moose and thinking of using a 270 win 130gr GMX. I do not plan to hunt any bears or anything dangerous in the future so would have no need for a magnum like a 300 win mag or anything larger.

Would love to hear from hunters and guides who have been part of successful hunts of people using 270 win. I have read stories on the forum of people using their 270 win for Yukon Moose but always good to get more peoples opinions.

Last edited:
Ex and I got our moose last year using a .270. Just some Winchester Deer Season XP, 130 gr. He took a couple of steps and went down. 2017, I was in Canada and my buddy used a .270, I had my 7mm. He put his moose down with it. Went maybe 10 yards. Not sure what ammo he was using.

KJH

WKR
A .270 will work if the bullet hits where you need it. Use what you want, but I have experience with moose and if I were going that far, I'd use a bigger rifle and bullet. I've seen a 300wm 180ish grain bullet get stopped in the shoulder bone of the moose at about 160 yards. If it wasn't for follow up desperation shots it would have never died. I'd suggest a heavier bullet. In the end do what you want and have a great time. Good luck on your hunt!

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
that should not be a problem wife took three with 150 nosler partition, the problem with moose is sometimes they do not yet despite being baddly hit that they re dead. enjoy your trip.

leoni1

FNG
Your choice of 270 with 130 GMX will absolutely suffice for any moose on the planet. Avoid hard quartering, frontal, and any crazy angle shots.

One issue that may arise is that your Russian guide/outfitter may take exception to your choice of chambering and bullet. Even though your choice is certainly adequate, your Russian guides may see things differently.

I’d recommend you reach out to them as you wouldn’t want to be denied the use of your rifle and asked to use an unfamiliar camp rifle instead…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

aussiehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Ex and I got our moose last year using a .270. Just some Winchester Deer Season XP, 130 gr. He took a couple of steps and went down. 2017, I was in Canada and my buddy used a .270, I had my 7mm. He put his moose down with it. Went maybe 10 yards. Not sure what ammo he was using.

A .270 will work if the bullet hits where you need it. Use what you want, but I have experience with moose and if I were going that far, I'd use a bigger rifle and bullet. I've seen a 300wm 180ish grain bullet get stopped in the shoulder bone of the moose at about 160 yards. If it wasn't for follow up desperation shots it would have never died. I'd suggest a heavier bullet. In the end do what you want and have a great time. Good luck on your hunt!

that should not be a problem wife took three with 150 nosler partition, the problem with moose is sometimes they do not yet despite being baddly hit that they re dead. enjoy your trip.

The .270 is adequate for moose but I do think I’d go with a well built 150 grain bullet over a 130.

Your choice of 270 with 130 GMX will absolutely suffice for any moose on the planet. Avoid hard quartering, frontal, and any crazy angle shots.

One issue that may arise is that your Russian guide/outfitter may take exception to your choice of chambering and bullet. Even though your choice is certainly adequate, your Russian guides may see things differently.

I’d recommend you reach out to them as you wouldn’t want to be denied the use of your rifle and asked to use an unfamiliar camp rifle instead…

No problem. Those who are saying to use a 150 gr bullet don’t understand mono bullets. That 130 GMX will out penetrate a 150 lead bullet.

Appreciate everyones input. I never doubted the 130gr GMX , just wanted opinion from people who have hunted them as i have not. l know my limitations on shots i can take with a 270 win but it's capable with a well placed shot broadside when a good oportunity arises... Would not hesitate to use this setup for most of the worlds game exception in africa on some animals. I mainly hunt with mono's because they will act like a 150gr or a 160gr lead core and will penetrate more which in my opinion is needed on big bodied animals be elk or moose.

Regarding the trip, it is proving to be challenging due to limited flights to Russia, making logistics a complex issue. Until the situation improves, this plan will remain on hold.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
No problem. Those who are saying to use a 150 gr bullet don’t understand mono bullets. That 130 GMX will out penetrate a 150 lead bullet.
sometimes people have been hunting for decades and switched to mono recently for many reasons. as of today i did not take any moose nor my wife with mono but it might change this fall if we have a sucess.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
My 270 has taken two Alaskan moose, both with 150 grain Nosler Partitions. One was a close shot, approx 50 yds frontal on a small spike/fork. He spun and ran 20 yds and went down.
The other was a 40+ incher, about 225 yds, hit him quartering and the bullet went in through the front quarter passed diagonally through the chest cavity and stopped in his hindquarter.
A friend of mine shot a nice 50+ incher as a teenager with a 270, 130 grainer, but I couldn't tell you what type of bullet it was.
I would not call it an ideal moose caliber, but it can get the job done.

I've taken four moose with a 270 Winchester. Three with 140gr Hornady BTSP, and one with 150gr Hornady SP. Ranges were 45-415 yards.

I bought a box of Hornady 130gr CX bullets to try out, and have no doubt they would work.

As I've heard an old-timer out here say multiple times, it used to be that you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a 270 in these parts. Same went for the 30-30. And, this is in a region with big brown bears, and lots of them...

Your 130gr GMX will do just fine.

OP
A

aussiehunter

Lil-Rokslider

Spoke to the outfifter. They have a camp loan rifle a Blaser R8 308win and it's $250 for whole tour.

Less hassle renting theirs then taking mine.

Don't shoot moose in the front shoulder, its a giant waste of meat. Pop lungs and down they go. It may take a few more seconds, just keep quiet and still. I have seen a lot of moose die, 99.99% of the time after that initial lung pop, they may walk or run a few seconds, then stop and stare back at what is 'chasing' them. IF they see nothing, they just kind of stand there bewildered and bleed out, get woozy legs and down they fall.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Killed this big bull with a .270 and 130gr copper Winchester Deer Season 10 days ago. Dropped right in his tracks. Recovered under the hide on the far side. 224 yards1000006210.jpg
1000006197.jpg

Same set up, same result for my daughter's cow moose last December (227 yards)
1000000828.jpg

And my previous bull at 115 yards.
1000006376.jpg

Anybody who claims a .270 with 130gr bullets is insufficient for moose doesn't know what they are talking about. It's perfect.

OP
A

aussiehunter

Lil-Rokslider
Killed this big bull with a .270 and 130gr copper Winchester Deer Season 10 days ago. Dropped right in his tracks. Recovered under the hide on the far side. 224 yardsView attachment 609678
View attachment 609677

Same set up, same result for my daughter's cow moose last December (227 yards)
View attachment 609680

And my previous bull at 115 yards.
View attachment 609681

Anybody who claims a .270 with 130gr bullets is insufficient for moose doesn't know what they are talking about. It's perfect.
Congratulations. I never doubt the 270 win , but never hunted moose and better to ask the experts that do every year.

Congratulations again that moose is a stud. What did he measure? 66 inches?

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations. I never doubt the 270 win , but never hunted moose and better to ask the experts that do every year.

Congratulations again that moose is a stud. What did he measure? 66 inches?
He's a bit smaller than that. I'm just an appropriate sized human so I make'em look extra good in comparison! He's 55" but with very tall paddles on him and good width of the paddles themselves.

roymunson

WKR
it'll get t it done, but if I'm traveling across the world to a hunt of that magnitude, I'm taking something with more thunder. It's about personal confidence. I spent a lot of time with my 300 WSM this last year getting ready. Working on being sub MOA, and taking any fear of marginal shots out of it, but when the rubber met the road at 300 yards and a bullet hit not where I'd hoped it would, I was glad to have that extra weight and diameter to put him on the ground, on the spot.
I was shooting a 180 gr ttsx from a 300 wsm. Your setup should work. But if things get squirrelly and you don't hit him where you want to, will that gun cover your mistake? Mine did and boy am I glad.

OP
A

aussiehunter

Lil-Rokslider
He's a bit smaller than that. I'm just an appropriate sized human so I make'em look extra good in comparison! He's 55" but with very tall paddles on him and good width of the paddles themselves.
Great moose in my books! Lot of meat for the family to enjoy

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
Well said roymunson. Things don't always go according to plan and a little extra insurance is a good thing. It sure is a bummer to have a moose lumber off and die in a water hole, or worse yet, a swift moving river.