30-06 custom barrel - asking for advice

What barrel length should my supressed 30-06 be?

• 16"

• 18"

• 20"

• 22"

Results are only viewable after voting.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all,

I plan on ordering a custom barrel from preferred barrel Blanks for one of my Tikkas. I want to do a 30-06. I'm split between getting a 20" and 22". It being a 30-06 I'm not really looking to build a "long range" gun so I'm thinking 20" is plenty. I do have a couple of supressors so it's a thought to run it suppressed. I want to use PBBs Tikka hybrid contour and threat it 5/8x24. I want a new barrel because I want a faster twist so I can shoot big bullets slow and in general want to learn how to swap barrels. If you guys have any suggestions shoot away. I'm even open to different calibers. I like 30-06 because its versatile and I can easily get brass, powder, primers and bullets. Before I go drop $600 I figured I'd check in and see what people think. The main function of this rifle will be elk out to 400 yards but I'd like it to be my go to all around rifle for hunting everything possible.

Thanks!

atmat

WKR
You definitely don’t need a .30-06 to kill elk, and you may find you enjoy shooting more with a smaller caliber.

I also wouldn’t go paying $600 for a stainless Tikka prefit when you can almost buy a whole new stainless Tikka in 30-06 for that cost. I understand you want a faster spin rate — but what bullet are you trying to shoot to need a faster rate?

If you’re going to run a suppressor, I’d keep it at 18” max. All of my rifles are now down to 16-16.5”.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
You definitely don’t need a .30-06 to kill elk, and you may find you enjoy shooting more with a smaller caliber.

I also wouldn’t go paying $600 for a stainless Tikka prefit when you can almost buy a whole new stainless Tikka in 30-06 for that cost. I understand you want a faster spin rate — but what bullet are you trying to shoot to need a faster rate?

If you’re going to run a suppressor, I’d keep it at 18” max. All of my rifles are now down to 16-16.5”.

The reason I like the 30-06 is it's in a sweet spot for slightly larger game as well. I want to try shoot heavy long bullets. The 30-06 is very versatile why limit my options with a slower twist? Additionally higher stability results in better terminal performance on game. Low stability can result in bullets behaving unpredictablly. I don't want to shoot stuff that is on the edge.

What smaller calibers do you use? Also the 30-06 can be loaded down below 308 and with a break or can it takes a lot of the muzzle prize out of it.

atmat

WKR
The reason I like the 30-06 is it's in a sweet spot for slightly larger game as well. I want to try shoot heavy long bullets. The 30-06 is very versatile why limit my options with a slower twist? Additionally higher stability results in better terminal performance on game. Low stability can result in bullets behaving unpredictablly. I don't want to shoot stuff that is on the edge.

What smaller calibers do you use? Also the 30-06 can be loaded down below 308 and with a break or can it takes a lot of the muzzle prize out of it.
You only need a fast enough twist rate to stabilize the bullet you’re wanting to shoot. Any faster doesn’t make it a better. So you need to start by deciding what bullet you want to shoot.

I have ditched all my .30 and 7mm guns and now hunt exclusively with a .223 and 6creed (where .223 isn’t legal).

There’s plenty of folks here killing elk and moose with .223s and a good bullet. Recommend you read these threads:

Edit: @LoggerDan — you seem to use the ‘laugh’ emoji whenever I reference these threads. Care to elaborate?

Last edited:
OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
You only need a fast enough twist rate to stabilize the bullet you’re wanting to shoot. Any faster doesn’t make it a better. So you need to start by deciding what bullet you want to shoot.

I have ditched all my .30 and 7mm guns and now hunt exclusively with a .223 and 6creed (where .223 isn’t legal).

There’s plenty of folks here killing elk and moose with .223s and a good bullet. Recommend you read these threads:

Id prefer to have a little more gun. I have a 223, I would consider 6.5 PRC but that means new dies plus new rifle new scope all of a sudden $3000. I like 30-06 because it's so easy to come by for anything. Can get store ammo easily. 30 cal bullet selection is great. Recoil is stout but not over the top. I don't doubt for a second I could go with a lighter caliber. As for bullet selection I prefer to be conservative with stability. A 1:10 twist will stabilize every bullet worth firing out of a 30-06 down -40 at sea level. Basically 1:10 has no exceptions or limitations. If I want to shoot a 212 eldx on the coast of the artic ocean at an ox it will work just fine. A 1:11 will not, in fact it won't work unless I climb a 10,000ft mountain on a hot dry day outside of legal hunting seasons. So main reason is I want something I can shoot any bullet I can find at the store under any condition, 1:10 twist is it. Can't do that with a 1:11, gets even worse with copper. I'll take any bcs I can get any the bullets are only getting longer and who knows when they are going to require copper bullets. Can't shoot 200 copper from a 1:11. 180 grain copper wont shoot out of 1:11 on the coast of the Arctic. I would love to tinker with my gun and shoot all kinds of stuff out of it. Im very intrigued by the heavy for caliber stuff. The SDs go way up, all of a sudden you've got a gun that can hang in 338 territory at close range.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d have a hard time building a 3006 on a tikka action. Especially if you want to shoot heavy bullets.

I don’t think there’s much wrong with a fancy 3006, I built one. Personally I don’t think it’s worth the recoil to load over 185 grain bullets in the 3006

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I’d have a hard time building a 3006 on a tikka action. Especially if you want to shoot heavy bullets.

I don’t think there’s much wrong with a fancy 3006, I built one. Personally I don’t think it’s worth the recoil to load over 185 grain bullets in the 3006
why is that? due to action length? everything will fit for 30-06, I did a check, might need to jump but it will fit. Also I can always reduce powder charge, get a heavier stock, throw on a break or can.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I built one with a 20” barrel and an 8 twist, haven’t got to shoot it much yet but will get to do some velocity testing in the coming weeks so I’m tagging in to provide future info.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I built one with a 20” barrel and an 8 twist, haven’t got to shoot it much yet but will get to do some velocity testing in the coming weeks so I’m tagging in to provide future info.
That sounds cool are planning on doing sub sonic?

Jon Boy

WKR
For what its worth i stabilize a 200 eldx out of a factory Tikka just fine. Not sure how heavy you want to go

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
For what its worth i stabilize a 200 eldx out of a factory Tikka just fine. Not sure how heavy you want to go

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I'd like to go all the way 220 eldx id also like to load slow 200's

Lawnboi

WKR
why is that? due to action length? everything will fit for 30-06, I did a check, might need to jump but it will fit. Also I can always reduce powder charge, get a heavier stock, throw on a break or can.

As long as you’re okay with 3.35” OAL you will be just fine. Just pointing out, some people hate jumping bullets. With a 180-185 grain projectile you will likely be at that area at the neck shoulder

I personally built a 3006 on a long action defiance. The rifle is 12 pounds and is pretty forgiving with a suppressor on the end. I actually really enjoy shooting the rifle and it is one of my most accurate. I have a host of 22, 6 and 6.5 barrels as well and agree with a lot of what is mentioned above but I also see little issue with a mid weight 3006 built correctly, it’s just a 308, with a little more juice. I don’t think I’d build the same caliber if I wanted a rifle that is sub 10 pound suppressed rifle.

LRI built my 06, chambered with a Serengeti reamer which would work well for the tikka length if you’re not married to the prefit route. It’s one of the best shooting barrels I’ve personally owned.

I’ll also mention that although neat, changing your own barrel isn’t anything g special. Unless you plan on burning barrels and swapping them out fairly often I would put the money you’re going to spend on tools towards premium blank chambered by one of the big names. Coming from someone who has done both.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
As long as you’re okay with 3.35” OAL you will be just fine. Just pointing out, some people hate jumping bullets. With a 180-185 grain projectile you will likely be at that area at the neck shoulder

I personally built a 3006 on a long action defiance. The rifle is 12 pounds and is pretty forgiving with a suppressor on the end. I actually really enjoy shooting the rifle and it is one of my most accurate. I have a host of 22, 6 and 6.5 barrels as well and agree with a lot of what is mentioned above but I also see little issue with a mid weight 3006 built correctly, it’s just a 308, with a little more juice. I don’t think I’d build the same caliber if I wanted a rifle that is sub 10 pound suppressed rifle.

LRI built my 06, chambered with a Serengeti reamer which would work well for the tikka length if you’re not married to the prefit route. It’s one of the best shooting barrels I’ve personally owned.

I’ll also mention that although neat, changing your own barrel isn’t anything g special. Unless you plan on burning barrels and swapping them out fairly often I would put the money you’re going to spend on tools towards premium blank chambered by one of the big names. Coming from someone who has done both.
main reason I want to do it is so I can get what I want and do it myself. If I go the traditional route my gunsmith wants to charge minimum $1000 that just getting started.

Lawnboi

WKR
main reason I want to do it is so I can get what I want and do it myself. If I go the traditional route my gunsmith wants to charge minimum $1000 that just getting started.

The prefit route will be a couple hundred cheaper, but will cost you a little in tools, depending how deep you want to go. I also think there’s more chance of having a problem, especially going with a cheaper blank, in a tikka prefit. I have both, they both shoot well, but if I were building what you’re suggesting and I had time to wait, I probably be buying a bartlein blank and shipping it to LRI.

I had good luck with tikka pre it’s as well, though I’ve never used PBB. My main reason for prefits was rifle matches and burning a barrel every year. For a rifle that I’d keep a long time I look at it as an investment to send it to a good smith.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
The prefit route will be a couple hundred cheaper, but will cost you a little in tools, depending how deep you want to go. I also think there’s more chance of having a problem, especially going with a cheaper blank, in a tikka prefit. I have both, they both shoot well, but if I were building what you’re suggesting and I had time to wait, I probably be buying a bartlein blank and shipping it to LRI.

I had good luck with tikka pre it’s as well, though I’ve never used PBB. My main reason for prefits was rifle matches and burning a barrel every year. For a rifle that I’d keep a long time I look at it as an investment to send it to a good smith.
this is more me tinkering, If it goes well ill likely buy more prefits in different calibers.

Lawnboi

WKR
this is more me tinkering, If it goes well ill likely buy more prefits in different calibers.
Not a bad thing to try. It’s nice having barrel at home if something goes wrong with what you’re using. Shipping rifles isn’t getting any cheaper either.

I have no experience with PBB but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another patriot valley arms osprey prefit.

Gorp2007

WKR
I've got an aftermarket 30-06 barrel on my Tikka. It's 18" and I can get a 175 gr bullet up to about 2850 fps, which is plenty for elk past 400 yards. I see no benefit to a longer barrel.

If I could do it over I'd go 308. No animal on earth will know the difference at 400 yards. Benefits include barrel life, recoil, and ammo/reloading costs.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an aftermarket 30-06 barrel on my Tikka. It's 18" and I can get a 175 gr bullet up to about 2850 fps, which is plenty for elk past 400 yards. I see no benefit to a longer barrel.

If I could do it over I'd go 308. No animal on earth will know the difference at 400 yards. Benefits include barrel life, recoil, and ammo/reloading costs.
With 308 wouldn't you be giving up 200 fps?