30-06 custom barrel - asking for advice

What barrel length should my supressed 30-06 be?

• 16"

• 18"

• 20"

• 22"

Results are only viewable after voting.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I understand that but I want to also shoot longer rounds. 200 ELD-X is on the upper limit. As for copper you can go above 180. The additional BCs help alot especially with slower heavy bullets. The cost to cut back and thready my current rifle will be about $300 total. My gunsmithe charges $100 for threads, 100 for cut and 50 for crown plus I need to get an adapter and drive out to the boonies 2 times to drop off and pick up the gun. The Tikkas barrel is decent. I'm starting from scratch so I'm updating the twist. I personally would not opt for 1-11 if it was my primary choice. It's a great choice for the lions share of 30 cal loads. But 1-10 works well with even more. Lightest bullet I will shoot is a 168 grain. The other benefit is I will be using a thicker contour and since the barrel is cut and not hammer forged I should be able to get better groups. My Tikka starts to throw shots after 3 rounds due to heating up I think very easy to get 3 shot sub moa. Not sure if it's due to CHF or the light profile either way a thicker barrel that's cut will only help. For $565 I will be getting a hand lapped barrel threaded 5/8 and exact dimensions and finish of my choice. While I'm at it I might consider a faster twist for sub sonics. I'm still thinking this through.
Sounds like an awesome project. I’m looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, I want to pick up some of the discrete ballistics 188gr subs to carry as a second load while rifle hunting.
Ive heard those things can penetrate. Saw a grand thumb video he was shooting sub sonic 338 discreet bullets and they flew through 3 blocks of ballistics gel lol.

Clarktar

WKR
I have a 30-06 Tikka, with a bartlein barrel finished at 17 inches with 1:8 twist. I've been shooting 200.20x at 2800 fps. I think I dropped by load down so I'm at 2750 now.

It's fun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Ive heard those things can penetrate. Saw a grand thumb video he was shooting sub sonic 338 discreet bullets and they flew through 3 blocks of ballistics gel lol.
In most cases it seems like the 188s stop on the offside hide based on their customer photos. Here in PA we can’t uses semis for deer and our style of hunting is not conducive to small rounds so making subs for the 06 works better than trying to run a Blackout bolt gun.

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
My primary medium to large game rifle is a custom 30-06 on a tikka action. It shoots 165 grain bullets at 3000 fps, 200 grain accubonds at 2600 fps, and blue box federals in to groups that are in the same hole. This is my favorite rifle and I would use it for almost anything.
What barrel did you buy for it? What barrel length did you go with?

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 30-06 Tikka, with a bartlein barrel finished at 17 inches with 1:8 twist. I've been shooting 200.20x at 2800 fps. I think I dropped by load down so I'm at 2750 now.

It's fun to shoot.

Why did you go with 1:8? Is the 200.2 super long?

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Why not just go 16 if your thinking about 18 with a supressor?
I know where you are coming from. That would be suuuuuuper handy... My concern is loosing too much speed... I'm already uncomfortable with 18" I'm getting cold feet thinking 20" might be better...

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
It's long and I built the gun to spin long heavy bullets.

As far as I can tell most heavy for caliber hunting bullets are good with 1:10. Seems like there are a few target loads that benefit from that twist. I've heard more twist reduces velocity and increases pressure but I hear a lot of stuff on the internet. Every barrel is a snow flake.