.30-06' Tikka T3x Superlite On Its Way: Bean Field Rifle?

I started reloading this year and I was able to stock up on powder, primers and bullets for my 7mm STW, Tikka 308, Tikka 6.5CM and an old Interarms 30 06. I've been wanting another Tikka with a little more punch at long range on whitetail and was deciding between 7mm Rem Mag, .270 or 30 06. I decided on the 30 06 because I have the powder (Ramshot Hunter, Accurate 4350 and H4350), the brass and dies. I also have some 168 grain Nosler ABLRs I plan to load.

I want to make this Tikka Superlite 30 06 and 500-600 yard whitetail rifle. I have a VX5HD 3-15X44 and have dialed it on other rifles no issues.

So folks what are your thoughts on making a lightweight 22" barrel .30 06 a good bean field deer killer? I know there are flatter shooting cartridges but I had a headstart on all the reloading supplies on the 30 06.

Antares

WKR
Sounds fun to me. My only thought is on weight. If you're hunting whitetails in agricultural land, I'm guessing weight is less of a consideration for you than it might be if this was a mountain rifle. If you really want to shoot 500-600 yards, build the gun to be 9 or 10 pounds. It'll just make it that much easier to shoot.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
I wouldn’t want to deal with the recoil.

I’d build a .22 or 6mm (depending on your state laws regarding bullet diameter for big game) twisted and throated correctly for the right bullet and drive it as fast as I could out of a standard bolt face tikka in the 30.06 mag length.

The hype around Tikkas and recoil is grossly overstated based upon my personal experience. I may be more recoil tolerant than others. You can always throw a Limbsaver on it.

There's nothing wrong with a 30-06 if you want one. It'll do what you want. If you are not too sold on the 30-06 then take a look at the 7mm-08 as well as the 270 Win. They'll both do what you want and then some.

I have taken my stock tikka 30-06 out to 500-600. It gets dicey the closer to 600...it’s just a little light weight for that distance IMO

with the right load (good BC bullet) and a heavier stock it would be good. It’s just not easy to shoot a light rifle in the field at that distance

Limbsaver, brake, good scope, solid rest, 180 accubonds, knowing your ballistics and wind will do 500 yards all day long with a fist-sized group. Big thing will be the wind it can push you around a lot at those distances.

OP
General RE LEE
I’d be carrying in my match rifle @ 18 pounds!

Yep even hauling in my heavy 7mm STW Sendero sucks on a cold morning when I’ve got all my hands full for a day hunt and the rifle in the scabbard on my back pack. Our fields are huge and there are long walks from truck to box. A 22” barrel lightweight sporter is convenient on the carry and to maneuver in the box blind.

Whhood

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the op. I hunt the south east and sometimes that includes big ag fields. I usually use heavy short barrels with suppressors but they can be cumbersome moving around box blinds. I just built a 7mm-08 with a 22” barrel that is 6.5 pounds with the scope for carrying and for tighter box blinds. The woods are thick in the south and the foliage stays on for a long time if it drops at all. The deer can appear out of thin air. Being able to move quickly is very important.

OP
General RE LEE
I agree with the op. I hunt the south east and sometimes that includes big ag fields. I usually use heavy short barrels with suppressors but they can be cumbersome moving around box blinds. I just built a 7mm-08 with a 22” barrel that is 6.5 pounds with the scope for carrying and for tighter box blinds. The woods are thick in the south and the foliage stays on for a long time if it drops at all. The deer can appear out of thin air. Being able to move quickly is very important.

Yep and during the rut my mornings may be in the box and then I will do a mid day sit in a tree stand and then return to the box for the evening hunt. I’ve also hunted the box and then did a slow stalk in the woods back to the truck. It’s nice to have a light Tikka. I have one in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. I know there isn’t much difference between the 308 and the 30 06 to some but I disagree. With reloading I can make the 30 06 really whistle.

It‘s always possible to add some weight with stuff like a suppressor and a stock pack.

500-600 yards is getting out there where high BC bullets are mandatory. There’s no reason an ‘06 can’t do it when it’s done with a .308 and .300 WM regularly.

I have been wanting to fire some 110 gr Barnes out of mine at 3600 fps though...

AkRyan

WKR
Deer run no matter what so I have always been a fan of 30cal or larger for them. Big holes that let out lots of air and blood. 30-06 has probably taken more deer than any caliber around today so I say go for it!

JustMe7

FNG
I wouldn’t want to deal with the recoil.

I’d build a .22 or 6mm (depending on your state laws regarding bullet diameter for big game) twisted and throated correctly for the right bullet and drive it as fast as I could out of a standard bolt face tikka in the 30.06 mag length.
Tikka can be interesting. I had a tikka t3 Hunter that had more recoil for the caliber than anything I have ever seen.
I had opportunity to get a tikka t3 Hunter for a price I could not pass up.
I thought the recoil would be terrible!
I pulled the wood stock and installed a t3 synthetic stock from eBay.. put a limbsaver recoil pad in place of the factory pad and - I was ready for all this recoil.
The Tikka t3 30/06 with synthetic stock has the least amount of recoil than any 30/06 I’ve ever shot and I have shot at least a half dozen different manufacturers rifles in this caliber.
Also the Tikka t3 30/06 shooting one hole groups with factory 150 gr win power points.
I would not be afraid to use it as a ‘bean field’ rifle.

Long Cut

WKR
I’d do a short barrel suppressed .308 in a good stock.

Either AR10 or Tikka platform with an SWFA or Nightforce scope.

I’d shoot closer towards 9-12# total weight personally. Big optics, big stock, big bipod for a stable platform.

Save the lightweight build for mountains out West.