.30-06, use a 180 or 165grs Accubond/Interbond?

Villreinjeger

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning to load for alpine use, want efficient range up to about 500yds, game up moose (on shorter distances).

Is there really any reason for the 180grs? I guess the 165grs gives me just about the same with less recoil, flatter shooting and less wind-drift...?

The rifle is light, so would prefer less recoil.

Vern400

WKR
165 grain Is the gold standard on ought six. There's very little you can't do with it. Are moose hard to drop? Partitions would be a slight compromise on BC but they always initiate expansion and penetrate deep. There are lots of good bullets now but some can fail to:
*Initiate expansion easily on impact or * stay together if they have to crush bone. Accubonds are good but not super tough. Take the advice from someone with LOTS of experience. Not some dude that killed something with a purdy boolit and thinks it's the greatest ever.

OP
V

Villreinjeger

Lil-Rokslider
The reason for Accubond/Interbond is that I want a bullet that opens up readonably well on longer distances. I am aware they are bot the toughest around. Partitions are good - but lack in precision IMHO. Otherwise - totally agree!

Vern400

WKR
The reason for Accubond/Interbond is that I want a bullet that opens up readonably well on longer distances. I am aware they are bot the toughest around. Partitions are good - but lack in precision IMHO. Otherwise - totally agree!
I validate bullets at first with water containers. I clean out 2 1/2:gallon herbicide or motor oil jugs real good. Fill with water and shoot at 200, 300,400,500 yds. If they don't blow up the bullet ain't opening. And if you find fragments they're coming apart. It's correlated good except with Nosler ballistic original 20 year old design. No telling what those will do But Like a Sierra match king at 200 yds will just slip thru out of a 6.5 CM. Same what it does on game with a flesh shot. Don't try it. At least that's better than reading a brochure, shooting paper, and sailing one at an elk. Ive had bullet failures so I'm real careful, and only take suggestions from guides, and guys that shoot a lot of game. SGK, non tipped, are near match accurate and do really well on deer size game out at longer ranges. Not hogs in close. Don't know elk.

Ain't real smart but I know initial shock wave PLUS penetration causes dirt naps.

Time to go. Rut is on hot in Ga and I need 30 min to each my stand.

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I am an 06' shooter too. I have 100% confidence in anything that walks with 165 grain accubonds. I am shooting 180's now only because I could not find the 165' during the pandemic however I found a 4 boxes of 180's that were not price gouged. They do shoot better in my gun ironically. I never would have known if it wasn't for the pandemic! Here is a recovered 165 grain accubond from my elk. 358 yard double lung shot. It was very close to piercing the skin on the other side.
7519e941794afa6f114c2184891ad17f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I am an 06' shooter too. I have 100% confidence in anything that walks with 165 grain accubonds. I am shooting 180's now only because I could not find the 165' during the pandemic however I found a 4 boxes of 180's that were not price gouged. They do shoot better in my gun ironically. I never would have known if it wasn't for the pandemic! Here is a recovered 165 grain accubond from my elk. 358 yard double lung shot. It was very close to piercing the skin on the other side.
7519e941794afa6f114c2184891ad17f.jpg

What are your loads and velocity with each bullet? I am curious how they differ.

What are your loads and velocity with each bullet? I am curious how they differ.
Good question. I do not have that answer since I am working on finding a chronograph. My 165 grain load was with 55 grains of imr4350 which is a mild load from what I remember. The 180's are at 56.5 (max I think) of imr4350. I am a one gun guy rocking my early 90's Ruger m77 skeleton with the 22" barrel so I know I can't guesstimate since it seems like a 24" barrel is common for testing.

I'm a firm believer in letting the rifle determine which bullet and weight it wants to shoot. Just because you want to run a specific bullet it does not mean that your specific rifle will shoot it well; less of an issue with hand-loads.

With that said, I currently shoot commercial 168 gr Barnes TTSX in my 30-06.

I shoot Barnes 168gr XLC's in my 24" barreled 06. The blue moly coated ones. They work very well on deer and im sure will work well on about anything.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've shot a pile of critters with the 165 and the 180 accubond out of an ought 6. If moose is a potential Target I would just go for the 180. Shot placement is still going to be most important but I felt like I got away with more using the 180.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had good luck in the past with the 165ab out of my 30-06. Anybody who claims that partitions suffer in the accuracy department hasn’t shot many.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
I thought 180s out of a 30-06 were the gold standard with the higher sectional density vs the 165. Or at least that was the excuse I used to load 180 AB's in my 30-06 over 56.whatever grains of IMR4350. Great accuracy and downrange power but the forests I hunt in make 200 yards a long shot. If you can hit where you want to hit it's not really going to matter too much under 500 yards.

Rich M

WKR
I shoot sierra pro hunters and nosler partitions out of my 3006. accubonds did not shoot as well for me.