300 Win Mag

Looking for thoughts
Been using the 300WM for years and have been very successful. Getting older I’m weighing the option of lightening my rig. With that being said I’m trying to decide on some of these newer calibers that would allow me to go lighter and shorter.
Looking for info on some of the Creedmors, PRC’s etc. Where I hunt now I can run into anything from ground hogs, mid size hogs and mid sized whitetail.

Thanks in advance

lintond

WKR
Looking for thoughts
Been using the 300WM for years and have been very successful. Getting older I’m weighing the option of lightening my rig. With that being said I’m trying to decide on some of these newer calibers that would allow me to go lighter and shorter.
Looking for info on some of the Creedmors, PRC’s etc. Where I hunt now I can run into anything from ground hogs, mid size hogs and mid sized whitetail.

Thanks in advance

Based on the animals you describe I’d expect the 6.5 CM to be a great option. I cut my tikka down to 20” to run it suppressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never felt a need for anything larger than my Remington 700 in 270 win. I purchased it new 46 years ago. It has served me well, is worth several times what I paid for it. Best part is it's still relevant in today's deer woods.

elkguide

WKR
I am a .300 Win Mag fanboy! (I had 6 before the boating accident, along with 4 other .30 caliber rifles) Now that we have that out in the open, I have used (and still do) a .300 for everything from woodchucks, coyotes, bear, deer and elk and will continue to. However, I did just buy a custom built 6.5 PRC and have been having a great time with it. I'll probably still use a .300 for most of my hunting but there is a possibility......

OP
D
Definitely not opposed to the classics (243,
,7mm-08, 308) just wondering if I can do better performance in yet still a smaller lighter rig with the new rounds on the block.

EdP

WKR
Also wanted to lighten my load for backcountry hunts on foot a few years ago. I found a used Rem model 7 in 7mm-08 and have been very happy with it. Anything similar would suit your purposes. The 7mm-08 doesn't have the reach of the 300 WM but it has plenty for my purposes.

I'm also a .300 win. fan and will be carrying one for elk this year. My dedicated deer calibers are .270 win and 7mm-08. No experience with hogs but a .308 win might be a great option as well.

Rich M

WKR
How far are your shots andcwhat do you want for terminal results? You want to track em or do you like to slam them to the ground?

Macintosh

WKR
7mm08, 6.5cm, 308 etc are more than plenty, even at ranges way beyond where 99% of people have any business shooting at critters. A 270, 6.5prc or a few others maybe flatter shooting, but wont kill them any deader. If youre shooting factory ammo 308 or 6.5cm probably have by far the widest selection of ammo out there, with lots of good hunting options plus copious options for match-grade and practice ammo, none of which are rarities or particularly $$. Only reason I might opt for a prc or similar is if you are shooting mono bullets to take advantage of a little more range before you lose expansion velocity.

OP
D
How far are your shots andcwhat do you want for terminal results? You want to track em or do you like to slam them to the ground?
Between always using a 300 WM or 300 RUM for a while, I definitely got used to them being dead right there.

The 6mm CM is one of my favorite rounds. I also have a 6.5 PRC set up for long range hunting and a 280 AI ultra light mountain rifle I love. Lots of options out there in lower recoiling rounds that are very effective at killing big critters.