300 WSM vs 300 win mag

grfox92

WKR
I wish there was 300wsm brass to be found. It's the only thing keeping me from getting a Tikka.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

sgowda

FNG
I wish there was 300wsm brass to be found. It's the only thing keeping me from getting a Tikka.

There are plenty available now!! Stock up. Scheels, bass pro, sportsman. Everyones got it

grfox92

WKR
There are plenty available now!! Stock up. Scheels, bass pro, sportsman. Everyones got it
Thank you but thats box ammo, I'm looking for ADG Brass or any decent brass to have some stock before I buy a rifle.

What makes a belted magnum annoying to reload?
I've always wondered this myself. Been reloading 300 wm for 30 years and never experienced any differences loading this round than any others. Sometimes I think I'm doing things wrong since I never have any problems.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Belts are no problem to reload but it's best to size with the shoulder head spacing instead of the belt as designed, potential for better accuracy.

That said, belts have no place on modern cartridges (history: the belt was devised for the 300 H&H as it did not have sufficient shoulder to headspace). Belts can impact head spacing on the shoulder and take up room in a magazine.

New cartridge developers of the likes of the 7mm and 300 PRC know this. Can't imagine any new cartridge having a belt, simply no use for such a thing!

Zman2

FNG
ND-Hooligan, Are you still shooting the Browning A-bolt in 300 wm? The reason I ask is because I also have this gun, vintage 1998 or so. Anyway, I too have discovered the limitation of this cartridge with its magazine length and todays modern monolithic coppers. I noticed in one thread you had a while back that you modified your magazine to more closely fit these solids closer to the lands. Can you share the details of your modification and how you did it? Does it cycle the bullets as expected with this modification. I would imagine there are others seeking this information as well and perhaps it would be better suited for a new thread.

I see there is an aluminum section in the clip that could be milled out but I wonder then if the rivets still hold that piece in? Anyway, an insights would be helpful as I too only get mediocre results with these solids using mag length as my guide. Pictures would really be helpful. Thanks Paul

Zman2

FNG
I've always wondered this myself. Been reloading 300 wm for 30 years and never experienced any differences loading this round than any others. Sometimes I think I'm doing things wrong since I never have any problems.
ND-Hooligan, Are you still shooting the Browning A-bolt in 300 wm? The reason I ask is because I also have this gun, vintage 1998 or so. Anyway, I too have discovered the limitation of this cartridge with its magazine length and todays modern monolithic coppers. I noticed in one thread you had a while back that you modified your magazine to more closely fit these solids closer to the lands. Can you share the details of your modification and how you did it? Does it cycle the bullets as expected with this modification. I would imagine there are others seeking this information as well and perhaps it would be better suited for a new thread.

I see there is an aluminum section in the clip that could be milled out but I wonder then if the rivets still hold that piece in? Anyway, an insights would be helpful as I too only get mediocre results with these solids using mag length as my guide. Pictures would really be helpful. Thanks Paul

I do still shoot the A-bolt. The way I did it was to use a high-speed grinder with a 1/4 inch grinder bit and ground two u-shaped "channels" out of the aluminum piece you are referencing. Since the rounds stack kind of side by side I ground where the bullets line up looking forward. After I was done it looked almost like UU with the bullets inside of the "U" that the grinder bit made. I think I was able to take off almost 1/4 inch which brought the bullets to the lands. Since the modification I have shot 100s of rounds through the rifle and haven't had one issue of misfeeding and the magazine seems solid as ever. I'll try to get pics of the magazine this weekend and will share them with you to show exactly what I am talking about.

Hooligan

Zman2

FNG
ND-H, Greatly appreciated. This adds confidence to me doing the same. THE barrels on the Brownings seem to be pretty decent and having only cycled a couple hundred rounds through it I will now be able to utiliize these coppers a bit more effectively. And if you can send an image or two that would really be awesome.

Paul

Zman2

FNG
I do still shoot the A-bolt. The way I did it was to use a high-speed grinder with a 1/4 inch grinder bit and ground two u-shaped "channels" out of the aluminum piece you are referencing. Since the rounds stack kind of side by side I ground where the bullets line up looking forward. After I was done it looked almost like UU with the bullets inside of the "U" that the grinder bit made. I think I was able to take off almost 1/4 inch which brought the bullets to the lands. Since the modification I have shot 100s of rounds through the rifle and haven't had one issue of misfeeding and the magazine seems solid as ever. I'll try to get pics of the magazine this weekend and will share them with you to show exactly what I am talking about.

Hooligan
Thanks for this information. Sounds appropriate and that way the rivets holding the aluminum piece remain in tact. I presume your grinding cut was parallel to the internal portions of the magazine. Did you create a ramp that was consistent to the stock ramp angle at the top portion where the cartridge would ramp up and into the chamber? You must have used a fairly small grinding wheel to get inside to do this work?

I used what I believe was a 1/4 inch flat bottomed grinding bit perpendicular to the bottom of the magazine but I'll have to double check on the diameter of the bit. Since it left the UU shape the rivet in the middle stayed in tact. I don't don't remember doing any ramp work afterwards but will look at that as well. With the longer loads I was able to get the rifle to shoot extremely well with the 180 TTSXs.

IMG_1617.jpg

This isn't my photo but my modification looks almost exactly like this.

Zman2

FNG
IMG_1617.jpg

This isn't my photo but my modification looks almost exactly like this.
Thank you for the effort of finding. I will go slowly with the grinding /polishing and let you know the outcome. Thanks again. And btw have you tried reloading the Hammers or the 175 LRX. IF so can you share your recommendations. Paul

Glad to help. I never did try the Hammers or LRXs as I got the TTSX to shoot so well that I quite messing with it. I still get .5 moa and under 3 inch groups at 500 yards so I want to leave well enough alone. 2950 fps is the velocity.

Zman2

FNG
Glad to help. I never did try the Hammers or LRXs as I got the TTSX to shoot so well that I quite messing with it. I still get .5 moa and under 3 inch groups at 500 yards so I want to leave well enough alone. 2950 fps is the velocity.
Thanks. I dont blame you on not changing. Ill keep you posted on my progress.

sfcsmart

FNG
Wanted to gather some opinions on the virtues/vices of the 300 WSM.

When comparing it to 300 win mag, it seems to beat it in quite a few categories, slightly higher muzzle velocity, slightly less recoil can shoot similar bullet weights. Action length is shorter, which could allow a lighter rifle build.

Barring the ammo availability variable, why do most people skip over this cartridge?

I realize there are a significant number of new 30 cals on the block, so would also entertain discussion on why others are better than the two mentioned as well.
I'm a hunter and not a shooter. I bought my Browning A-bolt in .300WSM back in 2003 when it first really hit the market. Back then, I went to Colorado every year and wanted a light gun. I couldn't afford a decent scope when I bought it and she was a booger to shoot and scoped me a couple times until I put a muzzle break and Swarovski on top of her. It took me a few different rounds until I found the fodder she likes best. I'm using the Barnes TTSX 165's. I've shot my rifle so much that if I can see it, I can kill it.

Now, I mainly shoot deer and hogs. 300wsm is more than what I need, but I love my set up. True, ammo is tough to find. I ordered some from Montana earlier this week. I bought 4 boxes a couple years ago and down to my last 3 bullets and rifle season in East Texas starts this weekend.

Can't really speak to the 300 WM, just giving my 2 cents. Good luck all.

Jbuck

FNG
Still plenty of adg 300wsm brass around. ADG seems to run it a couple times a year.

I went WSM over WM becuase I got a bunch of free Fed. Terminal Ascent ammo, so it was the deciding factor. However I built on a Win M70 action so the magazine is ~3.1" irrc.

I am still working thru that factory ammo and it's been a great gun. I couldn't imagine either could do something the other couldn't so I don't see switching anytime soon.