300 winmag recommendations

Cburd67

FNG
looking to purchase a new 300 winmag for elk season this coming year trying to get the most bang for my buck. looking for some reviews on some new models or personal recommendations. I have been looking at the Tikka t3,Browing xbolt and AB3 and also i can get a good deal on a Savage 110LR. But im open to all models just looking for some input looking to keep it under 1000$ thanks.

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to the forum.
.300 Win Mag is a great caliber and a great choice for an elk rifle. (or for most any other animal hunted)
.30 caliber fanboy here for sure. When it comes to the .300 Win Mag, I have 4:
An older tang safety Ruger model 77
A Cooper model 56
A Christensen Arms Custom
A Brown Precision Custom Hunter.
Other than the Ruger they are all more money than you wanted to spend. Each of those rifles will keep a less than MOA group for me off a bench. I've taken a lot of deer and elk with each of them and it depends on which hill that I'm going to climb as to which one I carry. So if (actually the word should be WHEN) I buy another rifle in .300 Win Mag, it will be another rifle that feels really good in my hands. That is why those 4 rifles that I listed are still in my possession. Get out there and fondle a bunch of rifles and then buy the one that feels best in your hands.

Good luck and enjoy.

Welcome. Maybe toss this up in the firearms section next time.

As to your question, I think tikka is one of the better values going in hunting rifles. There are some issues with bullet length for handloaders in the magnum calibers but not an issue for most. I have a Remington 300 that gets it done but if I ever bought another it would most likely be a tikka.

hodgeman

WKR
Lots of good choices out there. Tikka, Browning, Winchester, Ruger... darn near everyone makes a 300WM.

For good reason- there's nothing else that makes more sense as a "one gun solution" for N. American hunting than a .300. For under $1000, I'd look really hard at a Tikka. If you're budget is slightly more, the Browning X-Bolt or Winchester M70.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good choices out there. Tikka, Browning, Winchester, Ruger... darn near everyone makes a 300WM.

For good reason- there's nothing else that makes more sense as a "one gun solution" for N. American hunting than a .300. For under $1000, I'd look really hard at a Tikka. If you're budget is slightly more, the Browning X-Bolt or Winchester M70.
+1
CC.jpg

AZsniper

WKR
I have a Christen Mesa, I love it. I would not get one with a fluted barrel. With a fluted barrel it will rise a lot more.

handwerk

WKR
There are some pretty good deals out there on a (used) winchester model 70 stainless classics, if you need new I'd still be looking at a winchester SS/Syn.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I liked the AB3 fit, and currently working on the handloads in a 180 gr projectile. picked up the gun and a cheap Nikon scope for just under $500 from the new Gander stores, have replaced the scope with 4-16x , 50mm Nikon prostaff 5. Barrel break in went good and it was close to MOA with factory loads, Handloads should get it to MOA or better, recoil is good so far, don't have weight on pkg but it can be carried all day no problem

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I have the tikka T3X forest and it is bomb dot com. Accurate and the trigger is fantastic I think. The wood is very nice, but if I had a dooover I think I would get the synthetic. I hate the look of most black synthetic but seasons on my Forest has it pretty dinged/scratched up. It's tough to keep it safe in blowdown hell. I tried the rifle cover route to keep it safe but it got tossed after the first trip.

Not that you asked but I put a Montana leather sling on it that I really like

I have a Browning XBolt Max Long Range 300 Win Mag, this is an awesome shooting rifle. With the muzzle break I can shoot it all day. But wear hearing protection because it is load!! Picked it up on sale at Bass Pro for $999. This is a 1 in 8 twist and I'm shooting 220 grain ELDx's. I also have a Hells Canyon Speed in 30 06, the 300 Win in the Speed is a 1 in 10 twist.

C.payne

WKR
I sold my Rem 700 and bought a Browning Hells Canyon Speed. For the money I am very happy with it. It's light but still manages recoil well, overall fit and finish are great considering the price point, the detachable mag has a lot of length (if your a hand loader) and I have been able to build a few loads that easily shoot under 3/4 M.O.A. Tikka makes a great rifle as well but the 1:11 twist can limit you if you want to shoot some of the heavier high BC bullets that perform so well in the 300 win. One negative with the Browning is that if you want to mod it in the future it can be harder to find aftermarket accessories for them than a Tikka or Rem 700.

I have a 7mm Savage Long range hunter. Worked really well for me on several hunts. Biggest thing is it is a heavy setup. I just got a Tikka lite in 300 win mag last year took it on several hunts and loved it. Killed a mule deer at 460 yards. I would pick the lighter gun for sure. Hard to beat the Tikka

TauPhi111

WKR
I suggest you consider a few things...with the Tikka, PNW raised a good point about the slow twist. If you want to shoot heavier bullets, you'll be limited to about 190 lead and 180 monos. The Savage is great and if you ever want to rebarrel, it's easy, but there are no good lightweight stock options out there if you ever want to try to drop some weight. If you can swing the browning, I'd get that

rootacres

WKR
looking to purchase a new 300 winmag for elk season this coming year trying to get the most bang for my buck. looking for some reviews on some new models or personal recommendations. I have been looking at the Tikka t3,Browing xbolt and AB3 and also i can get a good deal on a Savage 110LR. But im open to all models just looking for some input looking to keep it under 1000$ thanks.

I don’t think you can go wrong with a T3X. I’ve never owned one but have seen first hand what they can do with 180gr Barnes. I also think that the Bergara B14 Hunter Is one of the most underrated factory economy rifles. I had one in 308, sub MOA wasn’t an issue with factory ammo. They are a Remington 700 footprint so stocks and trigger have endless options, same with rings.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
Of those listed, I would probably go with the Browning or the Tikka. Neither is a bad choice. I have never been a Savage guy. I really like the feel of the new Brownings and I could live with the slower twist of the Tikka by staying with 180 gr bullets.

I am not sold on the Tikka stock though but thats a personal preference. I know they shoot but I go by feel alot when buying guns and I am sort of meh when I pick them up. I wouldn't buy anything made by Remington right now.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My friend just got a Winchester m70 extreme
Weather in 300wm (I have one in 30-06). So far he loves it, super accurate, well balanced, well built.

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
The new remington 700 long range in 300 win seems like a good choice. Heavy barrel and bell and Carlson stock. If you haven't looked at it check it out.