300 WM barrel question

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Remington 700 in 300 WM that I inherited from my grandpa. Right now its barrel is 24" and he had the barrel ported. I am thinking about having the barrel cut down and recrowned just below the porting which would put it just a bit over 22". My thinking behind this is to hopefully make it a bit quieter as well as more maneuverable in the field. What do you guys think about the pros and cons of doing this?

JigStick

WKR
making it shorter will make it louder, burn less powder, reduce muzzle velocity. Personally I wouldn't go below 24in on a 300wm...unless you plan on shooting lighter weight bullets.

Does the barrel shoot good? If it does then leave it alone.

Shortening it will make it louder but probably not as loud as the ported barrel is now. I’d keep it the way it is, being an herloom gun and a magnum that really requires the barrel length to perform. You’d end up with basically a fire breathing hot rod 30-06. An option is to chop it, crown it, and down load it to 30-06 levels to reduce blast if you hand load. Or buy reduced recoil loads. It would still kill anything in North America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
22" will do fine.

Shortening it will make it louder but probably not as loud as the ported barrel is now. I’d keep it the way it is, being an herloom gun and a magnum that really requires the barrel length to perform. You’d end up with basically a fire breathing hot rod 30-06. An option is to chop it, crown it, and down load it to 30-06 levels to reduce blast if you hand load. Or buy reduced recoil loads. It would still kill anything in North America.

Have you used a 22" barreled Win Mag?

I have- a lot. And 20 inch barreled ones as well. They are not 30/06's.

I've used 300NM, 338L and 338NM as short as 18". They do not lose as much velocity as gunstore myths would have you believe. Other than dedicated long range systems, I want nothing to do with barrels over 22".

22" will do fine.

I've used 300NM, 338L and 338NM as short as 18". They do not lose as much velocity as gunstore myths would have you believe. Other than dedicated long range systems, I want nothing to do with barrels over 22".

Well alright then pack it in fellas this guy has an 18” Norma. There you have it.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Well alright then pack it in fellas this guy has an 18” Norma. There you have it.

Having cut down 4 rifles barrels and measuring the velocity loss with my handloads before and after getting them chopped down I have to say that generally its much less than most believe it is. But I am a fan of short barrel rifles as well. My 24" barrel 6.5 always seems so stupid long when I am used to carrying 16-20" barrels most of the time.

Weekender

WKR
I’ve wanted to cut my barrel down for years. The only thing that holds me back is it’s a tack driver now and I fear that’d change some how. Have you guys experienced any accuracy changes after you did your cut down?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve wanted to cut my barrel down for years. The only thing that holds me back is it’s a tack driver now and I fear that’d change some how. Have you guys experienced any accuracy changes after you did your cut down?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In every case they have remained the same or improved.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I woukd take that $ and order a bartlien replacement. The cost of chop and recrown would nearly pay for the barrel. Your only out $ to ream and install.

howl

WKR
If it's an heirloom, leave it as is. Modifying a gun that has sentimental value always has a down side. Otherwise, you have a good excuse to try a Remage rebarrel project.

Fire_9

WKR
I woukd take that $ and order a bartlien replacement. The cost of chop and recrown would nearly pay for the barrel. Your only out $ to ream and install.

I think you’re a little off. Cut and crown shouldn’t be any more that $75. New barrel would be $325-350 and $250 to thread and chamber.

Cut the ports off and run with it

OP
kylem

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I think I will most likely end up just cutting it down. Thanks for the responses everyone.

ptarmigan

FNG
If all that was holding me back from hunting with an heirloom gun was some porting, i'd chop it and never look back. It's your gun now and lopping off 2 inches of barrel isn't going to take away from it's sentimental value.

Clarktar

WKR
22" will do fine.

Are you implying, a shorter 30-06 barrel (22 inches) would have more of an effect on performance then a shorter barrel on a 300wm? Not intending to be a smart ass, I am interested in rebarreling a 30-06 and would like it to shoot 185 juggernauts, and 200+ grain bullets, as well as 155 gr. But using a twist rate calc. it seems that my twist rate and other details are marginal for stability and I was worried that shortening the barrel could further decrease stability. I have not personal experience, this is all from reading and trying to crunch numbers etc.