300 WSM Elk Bullet Suggestions?

BCD

WKR
I have a Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WSM that I killed my first elk with this fall. The bullet was a Barnes TTSX 165 grain and it performed perfectly at 286 yards going right through the opposite shoulder and lodging in the hide. While I start to think about my next elk hunt I plan on experimenting with a couple of different bullets to see if I can squeeze a little more accuracy out of my setup. Of the bullets I have tried the Barnes and Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond have been the best.. I am looking at trying the Nosler Partition 180 grain and Federal Trophy Bonded Tip in 180 Grain. Due to some reports around terminal performance issues, I am not looking at Bergers or Hornady ELDX. Are there any other bullets I might consider experimenting with while trying to find the perfect "one"?

Thank You!!

LightFoot

WKR
Sounds like a winning combo with the 165 TTSX.

Maybe try the 190 LRX.

>>>----JAKE----->

DavePwns

WKR
I've heard great accuracy from hammer hunter 181g, I've yet to try them but seems like a good option for 300 short

Legend

WKR
Acubond's are killing machines but I decided to try eldx....man are they accurate. However, the eldx has shown very poor performance inside 300yds. Going to give hammer bullets a try. If they don't shoot it's back to Acubond

rootacres

WKR
Those TTSX are very tough bullets. I saw a 180gr TTSX in action at a similar range this fall. It performed great. I also saw the performance of a 185gr Berger Classic Hunter. It performed as expected, penetrated inside the shoulder and broke up. I used a 7mm 168gr Berger Classic Hunter at 325yds and it had 41% weight retention. All 3 bulls went less than 10 yards.

Berger’s get a bad wrap. I understand people’s concern with them, especially on larger dense animals. They are incredibly accurate though.

If you want to mess with a bullet other than Barnes the next best option IMO is the Nosler Accubonds. I took a muley with my 300 WSM in 2019. The 180gr Accubond performed excellent.

Check you my post below in regards to bullet design.

J Dubaya

FNG
I switched to the new Federal Terminal Ascent 200 grn for my Browning Abolt 300 WSM. Provided Federal keeps making these, I won't be switching anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
I working up loads with 166 Hammer hunters now in my custom 300WSM. Will keep you posted. Going to try 181’s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend trying the 190gr Accubond LR. I shoot the Nosler factory offering and have shot alaskan black bear, whitetail deer, caribou, kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, and impala with good success. Ranges to the animal varied from 35-440 yards. All animals were found dead within 50 yards of the point of impact.

WKR
I shot one elk cow about 170 yards with the 200 grain ELD-X from a 300 wsm. Bang flop. Good holes through both scapula. The bullet did break apart. No exit wound.

I realize it's not great info, but maybe it's something.

B23

WKR
Regardless of what you've heard about them the Berger 205 Elite Hunter should make for a good match up for your 300 WSM.

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Lots of love for the accubonds and the Barnes. Has anyone tried the Nosler Partitions or Federal Trophy Bonded Tips?