300PRC or 28 Nosler or...?

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
So I have always been a .270 guy. I have tinkered with 300WM and I enjoy my 7MM. I've spent a good amount of time, energy and money into making all three good long distance shooters.
That being said, I decided I wanted a custom built long range, light weigh, hunting rifle built to my specs. I love the energy that the 28 Nosler puts out but one very well known gun builder told me he has stopped building them "due to the terrible throat erosion and barrel life with them. 500-600 round barrel life." and instead recommends the 30-28 nosler, 300 norma and improved, and 300 PRC stating that each has 75% less throat erosion than the 28 nosler and with essentially identical ballistics.
Reloading the 28 is also not inexpensive.
Now I am waffling between the 6.5x284 Norma and the 300 PRC.
Any real world advise from the standpoint of barrel life, recoil management, reloading, wound channel, energy at 300/500/700 yards, actual hunting experience etc. on those would be appreciated.

huntnful

WKR
I recently had a full custom .28 nosler built specifically for hunting. 9lbs total. I went with the 28 vs. the 30 specifically for recoil management and being able to stay in the scope to see impacts for follow up shots. At 15-18 power I can basically watch the vapor trail. Zoomed in much further and it'll kick me off target. I've killed 2 mule deer (15 feet and 630 yards) and a caribou (300 yards) with it. I am beyond impressed with its killing power and ballistics. Ive heard 1000 rounds is more realistic if you don't run the rounds at absolute max pressure. So thats what I've done. The gun is a tack driver, and worst case scenario, in 10 years or so I'll throw another barrel on it for $1000. But I'm definitely happy with the build so far. I shot a 6.5 last year and just straight up wasn't impressed with the killing power. I'd 100% go with the 300PRC over the 6.5X284. You don't need that extra power, until the time you really wish you had it lol.

gelton

WKR
I'm mainly a .30 cal guy with the good ole .06 and .300...I do shoot a 6.8spc on an AR platform that shoots .270 diameter bullets but I have pretty much decided that my next project will be a 6.5x284, so my vote is for that one...if for no other reason except that I can learn something.

Obviously, the .300 PRC would have more energy and knockdown but the 6.5 would be more fun to shoot.

Laramie

WKR
The 300 PRC in a lightweight rifle will pack quite a bit of recoil... If I were going lightweight, I would go with the 6.5 ...in the PRC instead of the 6.5x284. The PRC significantly outperforms the 284.

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
The 300 PRC in a lightweight rifle will pack quite a bit of recoil... If I were going lightweight, I would go with the 6.5 ...in the PRC instead of the 6.5x284. The PRC significantly outperforms the 284.
That makes good sense... someone on here had a formula for calculating recoil. I'll have to search that. I have seen the effects of the 6.5 PRC on a coues at a couple hundred yards and on elk. I was impressed by the coues body shock but not the elk in the shoulder. Coulda been the bullet though.

Laramie

WKR
That makes good sense... someone on here had a formula for calculating recoil. I'll have to search that. I have seen the effects of the 6.5 PRC on a coues at a couple hundred yards and on elk. I was impressed by the coues body shock but not the elk in the shoulder. Coulda been the bullet though.
To date I have only seen one cow elk taken at 420 yards and a few deer and antelope. The cow shot was behind the near shoulder and exited in front of the off shoulder. Some bone was hit but the heavy part of the shoulder was avoided. The exit would was approximately 1.5" and the insides were jello. It was impressive. I am a 30 caliber fan by heart but I have been impressed so far. Hopefully I'll have some bull elk test subjects hit the ground in camp later this week as we have a couple guys carrying them.

Brack28

FNG
I built a 28 this spring and have been more than impressed with it. To date its been used on 3 elk, 2 at 600 and 1 at 850 and 1 muley buck at 400 yards. Both the elk at 600 and the mule deer were DRT and the elk at 850 walked 10 yards and piled up. Wound channels were all impressive and from a recoil standpoint I would rather shoot my 28 (it does have a muzzle brake) over my 6.5 cm (no muzzle brake)

huntnful

WKR
I built a 28 this spring and have been more than impressed with it. To date its been used on 3 elk, 2 at 600 and 1 at 850 and 1 muley buck at 400 yards. Both the elk at 600 and the mule deer were DRT and the elk at 850 walked 10 yards and piled up. Wound channels were all impressive and from a recoil standpoint I would rather shoot my 28 (it does have a muzzle brake) over my 6.5 cm (no muzzle brake)
Solid data. What bullet was this with? I’ve had good results with the 180VLD’s. But I just loaded up some 195’s to test out.

It's basic physics. If you want to push the heaviest bullets of a given diameter over 3000 fps, expect bad barrel life and loads going out of tune faster.

Pick a bullet or bullet diameter and then pick a head stamp based on your goals.

IMO if elk are frequently on the menu I'm looking at a 7 or 30. You said you want light weight (opposing ideal to long range) so I'd consider a 7 to manage recoil better. There are plenty of good choices - SAUM, WSM, Blaser, Sherman SS or max, RM, etc that offer better barrel life than a 28.

I'm surpised a smith would be opposed to chambering 28s if a customer wants them. Seems like a good opportunity for repeat business.

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
It's basic physics. If you want to push the heaviest bullets of a given diameter over 3000 fps, expect bad barrel life and loads going out of tune faster.

Pick a bullet or bullet diameter and then pick a head stamp based on your goals.

IMO if elk are frequently on the menu I'm looking at a 7 or 30. You said you want light weight (opposing ideal to long range) so I'd consider a 7 to manage recoil better. There are plenty of good choices - SAUM, WSM, Blaser, Sherman SS or max, RM, etc that offer better barrel life than a 28.

I'm surpised a smith would be opposed to chambering 28s if a customer wants them. Seems like a good opportunity for repeat business.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, light weight and long range is a balance beam and can be something that causes some pain, either by carrying or recoiling. I am just trying to find that balance. As far as the smith... he built several hundred 28 noslers but stopped due to that. I think he'd rather have a quality product with nearly the same ballistics than the potential upset customer for a blown out barrel. Integrity over intentional repeat business brings more business? Maybe.

What animal(s) are you wanting to hunt out to 700 yards? If deer, then go with a 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC. Both have plenty of oomph at that distance to get the job done. If elk, then go with a 300 of your choosing.

I had plenty of success with my 6.5x284 on Coues. For no reason other than I wanted a new "toy", I picked up a 6.5 PRC and hopefully will pop its cherry on a Coues later this month.

Also, how recoil sensitive are you? The 28 Nosler will recoil a lot more than the 6.5 PRC and somewhat more than the 300 PRC.

gelton

WKR
So I have always been a .270 guy. I have tinkered with 300WM and I enjoy my 7MM. I've spent a good amount of time, energy and money into making all three good long distance shooters.
That being said, I decided I wanted a custom built long range, light weigh, hunting rifle built to my specs. I love the energy that the 28 Nosler puts out but one very well known gun builder told me he has stopped building them "due to the terrible throat erosion and barrel life with them. 500-600 round barrel life." and instead recommends the 30-28 nosler, 300 norma and improved, and 300 PRC stating that each has 75% less throat erosion than the 28 nosler and with essentially identical ballistics.
Reloading the 28 is also not inexpensive.
Now I am waffling between the 6.5x284 Norma and the 300 PRC.
Any real world advise from the standpoint of barrel life, recoil management, reloading, wound channel, energy at 300/500/700 yards, actual hunting experience etc. on those would be appreciated.
Curious why if you already have a .300WM you would want a .300 PRC, sure there is an advantage but does it really fill a hole? If you want more than a .300WM why not just jump up to the .338?

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
What animal(s) are you wanting to hunt out to 700 yards? If deer, then go with a 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC. Both have plenty of oomph at that distance to get the job done. If elk, then go with a 300 of your choosing.

I had plenty of success with my 6.5x284 on Coues. For no reason other than I wanted a new "toy", I picked up a 6.5 PRC and hopefully will pop its cherry on a Coues later this month.

Also, how recoil sensitive are you? The 28 Nosler will recoil a lot more than the 6.5 PRC and somewhat more than the 300 PRC.
700 for coues would be awesome... I have had luck on coues with my .270 but only at 408 yards (berger penciled through).
700 for elk and barbary... and oryx... and sitka blacktail on kodiak... max, in the right conditions, when completely familiar with rifle when muscle memory takes over etc. etc.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, light weight and long range is a balance beam and can be something that causes some pain, either by carrying or recoiling. I am just trying to find that balance.

I was referring more to the fact that a light weight rifle is hard to shoot well in field conditions regardless of recoil but that is only compounded by recoil.

As far as the smith... he built several hundred 28 noslers but stopped due to that. I think he'd rather have a quality product with nearly the same ballistics than the potential upset customer for a blown out barrel. Integrity over intentional repeat business brings more business? Maybe.

I just figured it would be easy to present the facts and let people make their own lousy choices but I can see how he could get sick of saying I told you so. "Listen here guy, i know 28N ballistics are out of this world but by the time your barrel settles in it will be near halfway to toast and your load tune is going to be in a constant state of change until the barrel gives up the goat. If you want one, I'll chamber it but you should know all that horsepower comes with some baggage".

OP
ttmannan

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
Curious why if you already have a .300WM you would want a .300 PRC, sure there is an advantage but does it really fill a hole? If you want more than a .300WM why not just jump up to the .338?

Good question. I didn’t start out wanting the 300PRC I started out wanting the 28 because it outperformed the 7MM I have in many ways. 500 ft lbs of energy more at 300 yards and 500 yards etc.
But when two (now) very reputable builders have told me about the barrel I started exploring options.

And when I see that $120 for 20 rounds of 28 and expensive reloading vs $59 for 20 rounds and ability to shoot factory ammo very well or reload on expensively I’m more attracted to it.

The 300WM I have is a factory rifle tuned up and shoots sub 1/2 MOA and is actually for sale on a different website without me ever hunting with it.
It’s not what I personally want in a rifle, even if it is ballistically very similar to what I am now considering.

Clear as mud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
How does the PRC SIGNIFICANTLY outperform the 284? Both are within 2 grains case capacity of each other...
Close to 10" drop difference at 500 yards and 400+ pounds of energy in factory loads... And factory ammo for the PRC is virtually half the price of the .284. If you hand load and really work at it you can close the gap some but the PRC will still best the .284 in every category when comparing apples to apples.

ID_Matt

WKR
Close to 10" drop difference at 500 yards and 400+ pounds of energy in factory loads... And factory ammo for the PRC is virtually half the price of the .284. If you hand load and really work at it you can close the gap some but the PRC will still best the .284 in every category when comparing apples to apples.

Sounds like the OP is a hand loader so factory loads aren’t terribly relevant. Apples to apples... as in same bullet, same powder, barrel length, throat length, etc. you’re talking maybe 25 FPS difference? I’d also argue that a 284 in a long action likely would beat a PRC in a short action like a lot of guys are loading. My local sportsman’s warehouse had 6.5-284 lapua brass last time i was there and quality PRC brass is currently non existent. I own both calibers and can’t say that there is a significant difference. If you have a standard bolt face, 284 works great. If you have a magnum, go PRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brack28

FNG
Solid data. What bullet was this with? I’ve had good results with the 180VLD’s. But I just loaded up some 195’s to test out.
It was with the 180 VLD's going 3080 FPS, really impressed with the performance so far.