308 copper bullet experience (or other moderate speed cartridges)

SBR Sarge

FNG
I’ve killed several midwest whitetail with a 16” 300 Blackout and Barnes 110gr Blacktip at 20 to 75 yards. All had massive internal damage (chest cavity was like jelly) and moderate blood trail. Never recovered any bullets.

Just last week I used the same Barnes load and killed a 205 pound boar at about 50 yards. Head-on shot. Entered between and just below the eyes, penetrated the skull, took out plenty of vertebrae and 4 or so inches of meat. Obviously DRT and it is the only blacktip I’ve recovered so far. One petal sheared off and was not recovered.

4EB06B98-3315-4176-B2D2-1A171C0FE526.jpeg

TTSX No expansion.jpgThis is from my Elk. Obviously, I will not be using TTSX again. If the Elk decided to run, I'd still be chasing him. Luckily, he stood there to absorb a total of 4 into the lungs.

Tod osier

WKR
View attachment 468112This is from my Elk. Obviously, I will not be using TTSX again. If the Elk decided to run, I'd still be chasing him. Luckily, he stood there to absorb a total of 4 into the lungs.

Do you think the first one maybe kinda did something to him to let you put 3 more in him? I expect if you had snuck up on him and slapped him in the ass he wouldn't have just stood there for you to do it again 3 more times.

Do you think the first one maybe kinda did something to him to let you put 3 more in him? I expect if you had snuck up on him and slapped him in the ass he wouldn't have just stood there for you to do it again 3 more times.

I'm not a terminal ballistics guy. But my previous Elk were 7mm-08 Nosler Partition. 1 shot through the lungs. and they did run 100 yards and crashed. But the internal damage was much more than copper pencil holes.

Tod osier

WKR
I'm not a terminal ballistics guy. But my previous Elk were 7mm-08 Nosler Partition. 1 shot through the lungs. and they did run 100 yards and crashed. But the internal damage was much more than copper pencil holes.

You got the elk. He stayed where you shot him the first time. I call that successful even if you don't.

You got the elk. He stayed where you shot him the first time. I call that successful even if you don't.
That's because over the years, and gaining experience, and being in camp with hunters experiencing horror stories of lost Elk, etc, etc. Loosing blood trails, etc, etc. I have trained myself into shooting multiple times until the animal is down. Down & dead. I don't care if I lose meat. I don't wait for the animal to expire. I just empty the magazine. Especially on Elk. Caribou don't run, so 1 shot is fine. Moose wait around to be shot again. But Elk will run to the next county.

ElPollo

WKR
View attachment 468112This is from my Elk. Obviously, I will not be using TTSX again. If the Elk decided to run, I'd still be chasing him. Luckily, he stood there to absorb a total of 4 into the lungs.
What do you think the impact velocity was? With that expansion, I’m really surprised you caught two of them. My general opinion on monos is that they work best with lighter bullets in super fast cartridges. I know someone who swears by them in a 270 Weatherby. But a 7-08 is a different beast altogether. When I was using them, I tried to keep my impact velocities above 2k fps. Some say 2200.

ElPollo

WKR
How far was the shot? I don’t meant to be a jerk in any way. But if you’re gonna shoot monos, you’re gonna need to become a ballistics guy. Getting those bullets to work is very velocity dependent.

How far was the shot? I don’t meant to be a jerk in any way. But if you’re gonna shoot monos, you’re gonna need to become a ballistics guy. Getting those bullets to work is very velocity dependent.
180-185 yards. I'm not getting them to work. I'm going back to eating lead. Just need to find one that works in my Tikka.

And this is boxed factory ammo. It doesn't work out of the box. So the factory 168gr loads have poor velocity. I'll try 150 partitions and hope my gun shoots them well.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I shoot 165 Federal Trophy Copper in my 18” bbl .308, only because they are one hole accurate in my rifle. I’m not brand or weight loyal. I ahoot whatever is most accurate, because where you hit them is what matters, not what you hit them with. I don’t know how fast they are going at distance, but it’s probably considered slow. And I don’t care either. I shoot stuff in the shoulders with it and it dies. Every time. No need to overthink it. Find an accurate load and go hunt.

SDHNTR

WKR
Yawn.

Snake0825

FNG
I have a Savage Axis 2 .308. It shoots Barnes 168 vortex into .5 moa so it’s the load I use. I’ve only killed one decent whitetail buck at 200 yards. It dropped where it stood and I will probably never use a different round. I was very impressed with accuracy and performance.

I don’t recall seeing if you are reloading or if you are looking for factory ammo.

If you are handloading, you should also look at Cutting Edge Lazer bullets. Their low expansion threshold is listed to be 1200-1300 fps.

If you are looking for factory ammo the disregard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro