Should I load light copper bullets or heavy high BC bullets?

Elite

WKR
I am looking to start hand loading for my 7mm-08. It will be mainly used in the mountains for sheep hunting and moose/elk at reasonable distances. The sheep hunting may require longer shots.

I have never shot copper bullets but have seen some good reviews. Wondering what would be the better route. 120grn ttsx or a 150-165 eldx/accubond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends if you want to shoot over 500 yds or not.

If its less then a fast mono will be flatter trajectory. If you are shooting over 500 yds the BC will help more, with wind drift and ultimately retained velocity the farther out you shoot

I have both loads for my 7mm-08, the 120 TTSX and a 162 eldm load

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Depends if you want to shoot over 500 yds or not.

If its less then a fast mono will be flatter trajectory. If you are shooting over 500 yds the BC will help more, with wind drift and ultimately retained velocity the farther out you shoot

I have both loads for my 7mm-08, the 120 TTSX and a 162 eldm load
Thanks for the reply, What do you use your 120 load for? What kind of speeds do get with the 162 eldm?

amassi

WKR
162 eld-m
Once you get dialed I. You’ll have an inexpensive very effective practice and killing options

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
162 eld-m
Once you get dialed I. You’ll have an inexpensive very effective practice and killing options

Why eldm vs eldx? I hunt moose/elk also so can’t have a soft bullet

amassi

WKR
Why eldm vs eldx? I hunt moose/elk also so can’t have a soft bullet

Makes things deader even big things like moose.
You’ve got a velocity handicap anyway so the eld-m even at point blank range is going to be plenty hard

Ram94

WKR
+1 for the 162 ELD-M

You’re really splitting hairs between the M and X but for what it’s worth, the M has worked great for me on elk and moose out of the 08.

kickemall

WKR
Lead bullets for sure. If your unclear as to the effectiveness of lead vs. non lead then listen to the Shoot2Hunt podcast regarding wound channels and what bullets are most effective. Hint, its not non lead at any speed which supports my findings with shooting non lead.

Northpark

WKR
I keep things simple. Personal max range on critters is 600 yards, though I regularly shoot to 1000. I shoot a 140gr absolute hammer out of my 7-08ai at a tick over 3k muzzle velocity. Bullet does the job on pretty much everything.