308 Hornady Whitetail for bear

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Ruger scout rifle. Because ammo is hard to find right now, I decided to go with a more common round for deer this season. I'm also going to use this gun for black bear (very slim odds that I even see one during the short season though). I'm in PA so bears can get fairly big.

Hornady whitetail interlock 150 grain 308 should be enough for black bear right? Assuming proper shot placement of course. If not I have some Sig elite hunter 165 grains. But not enough to be able to practice with a whole lot, which is something I like to do.

mcseal2

WKR
Any idea what kind of speed you get from them? I think they will work fine, I'm just curious. My Ruger Scout pushes the cheap Winchester 150gr silver box soft points 2575fps. I think a pretty soft bullet will perform pretty well from that short barrel.

That’s what I shot mine with. Didn’t get any blood but it only went about ten yards. My bear was small. Shot a buck n doe pronghorn with it last year from a 6.5 creedmor. Buck I shot at 293 and pancaked him. I’m taking that round with my 6.5 to Wyoming for mulies

I have a Ruger scout rifle. Because ammo is hard to find right now, I decided to go with a more common round for deer this season. I'm also going to use this gun for black bear (very slim odds that I even see one during the short season though). I'm in PA so bears can get fairly big.

Hornady whitetail interlock 150 grain 308 should be enough for black bear right? Assuming proper shot placement of course. If not I have some Sig elite hunter 165 grains. But not enough to be able to practice with a whole lot, which is something I like to do.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
Any idea what kind of speed you get from them? I think they will work fine, I'm just curious. My Ruger Scout pushes the cheap Winchester 150gr silver box soft points 2575fps. I think a pretty soft bullet will perform pretty well from that short barrel.
Nope. The box says 2860 I think but I don't have a chrono. I do know I shot it tonight and was really impressed with the groups. I have a 1.5-4 Leupold VX freedom on it and I was getting 1" groups at 100, with some holes touching. I won't shoot at anything over 200 with it more than likely. Maybe 300 if I practice some more. I have a 30-06 with a 3-9 that's for longer ranges. I would be unlikely to get a shot over 300 where I hunt anyways.

mcseal2

WKR
Nope. The box says 2860 I think but I don't have a chrono. I do know I shot it tonight and was really impressed with the groups. I have a 1.5-4 Leupold VX freedom on it and I was getting 1" groups at 100, with some holes touching. I won't shoot at anything over 200 with it more than likely. Maybe 300 if I practice some more. I have a 30-06 with a 3-9 that's for longer ranges. I would be unlikely to get a shot over 300 where I hunt anyways.

Sounds like a nice rig. I got mine used at a heck of a price. It came with a Leupold VX-6 scope I sold for most of what I gave for the rifle. I put an XS rail on it so I still have iron sights for back-up with a normal scope instead of a scout scope. I put a 1-6x Huskemaw I found used on it. I have a custom turret built for it to help me stretch it to 400 yards when needed. I don’t hunt with it much but take it as a back-up rifle on a lot of hunts now. If I end up still hunting its perfect and still has some reach with the turret and scope.

OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_20201019_191432615.jpg
A little show and tell for those of you commenting on the rifle. Love the scouts! Even if it's not set up like a scout lol...