.308 vs 30-06 in 150-168 grain bullets?

260madman

WKR
I see a few posts up that there’s only a few ft-lbs difference in recoil between 308 and 30-06. I can tell you that felt recoil is whole different ball game. Varget in a 308 is a whole different recoil than Hunter in a 30-06 with a 168NBT. Hunter is a very fast and stout recoil impulse.

I had a 300SAUM and I worked up a load with H4350 and a 180NBT and recoil was like a 180gr from a 30-06 even when velocity was more. I chased velocity and used Hunter with the same bullet. That rifle, M7 22”, was not pleasant at all to shoot. I gained a whopping 50fps and the recoil was horrible compared to H4350. These were book loads not above max.

The moral here is numbers for recoil don’t tell the whole story.

TxxAgg

WKR
I had a cerakoted Howa 1500 30-06 that would shoot 150 gr TTSX around 3050 fps. Figured that would be a great kill-anything gun.

I miss it but I like shooting 6.5 Bleedmore and down these days. Less recoil is always better.

peterk123

WKR
I believe the bullet weight is the sweetspot for 308. I am reloading and shooting 168 grain with my 308 and getting very nice results. I am guessing, but I think your results should be more consistent because you will have less air space in the cartridge with that bullet and a 308. I think whenever you have a cartridge that is filled to the base of the bullet, or as close as possible, will give you the best results. Others with a lot more experience about this subject matter I'm sure will chime in. So, if you are not chasing every last FPS, but you are chasing accuracy and consistency, 308 for me all day long.

308 gives you a short bolt action. It may or may not matter to you. Theoretically, also a lighter gun.

I agonized over which cartridge to get. I settled on 308. Just a classic round. Super accurate and can take any animal in the US. 30-06 is more versatile though. The option to go heavier should not be understated. As for recoil, eh. I have a 45-70 and I have 405 grain load that just rips :sneaky:

OP
C

CoStick

WKR
I have a great shooting fieldcraft .270 win. I was thinking a .30 caliber might be beneficial Especially on trips to AK. I also have a kimber 6.5 cm as well. Recoil doesn’t bother me when I shoot but with shoulder and neck issues I feel it for a few days. appreciate all the insights, very helpful.

Drenalin

WKR
With your bullet parameters, I’d think .308 is the right call. But with a 6.5 and a .270 already in the stable, I’d probably go .30-06. Or both. But certainly, every American should have an 06.

hodgeman

WKR
I've had both...if I were limiting myself to the 150gr, I'd go with a .308. If you want to shoot heavier, an '06 is likely better.

Either one will shoot the 150 to useful speeds.

My 308s have been uniformly accurate with 150s, not all of my '06s have been.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd agree that in the bullet weights you're stating (150-168 gr) that the .308 does everything a .30-06 would do with those bullets.

If you're also contemplating a trip to Alaska however, I think I would lean 06- the 180 and 200 gr bullets could be handy in AK.

I own a rifle in each and was originally going to bring my .308 for a Dall sheep hunt, when I found out that it would be a good idea to purchase a grizzly license as well (the possibility of tagging out early on a 10 day hunt is real), I decided I'm bringing the 06 with 180 gr Accubonds instead.

In reality, they are both great cartridges and couldn't go very wrong with either.

sndmn11

WKR
I think maybe if I had a 6.5cm and a 270win, I might look at a 338-06 or a 35whelen. The googles tells me you can fling a 160/150gr out of that .270winchester at about 2800-2900fps presumably with better BC than a 30 caliber bullet.

If you already have a 270 I see no advantage of a 308 win (though I like that cartridge a lot).

The 30-06 would be most versatile, but I really like the short mags - have a 300 WSM and 300 SAUM - best of both worlds with a short compact action, and extra oomph without much more recoil.

If you go 308 win I recommend 150s for monos, speed helps. The 168 goes great in the ‘06

rope

FNG
If your coming up here to Alaska ask yourself what rifle do you want to be holding if you have to deal with a moose or grizz? Let’s not talk about the best case scenario but worst case. Charging moose or grizz, add in their PO’d or injured let’s add in losing light and your in brush or spruce that’s dog hair thick. Or that bear that is just outside the tent or is now dragging you out of your sleeping bag.

For years I moose hunted with. 6.5 SAUM sometimes still do. Had to kill a charging 55” bull @ 5 yards and closing fast. The 127 LRX killed him stone dead one shot. Felt a little under gunned once the adrenaline wore off. Then darkness fell and butchering in the dark sucks especially when your hear limbs snap and your headlight illuminates a grizz, sure makes things exciting.

What caliber do you want to be holding?

As far as pistols go there are better than a stick, Phil Shoemaker (guide) killed a big brown bear with a 9mm while fishing. That being said no matter how big a pistol round is it will never have the velocity of a rifle round. Having been woken up by noise and loud sniffing checking it out with a 10mm in hand and shooting a black bear from the other side of the zipper is not fun. Definitely make you think twice about what you want in hand.

Good luck with whatever you purchase and on your hunt.

If your coming up here to Alaska ask yourself what rifle do you want to be holding if you have to deal with a moose or grizz? Let’s not talk about the best case scenario but worst case. Charging moose or grizz, add in their PO’d or injured let’s add in losing light and your in brush or spruce that’s dog hair thick. Or that bear that is just outside the tent or is now dragging you out of your sleeping bag.

For years I moose hunted with. 6.5 SAUM sometimes still do. Had to kill a charging 55” bull @ 5 yards and closing fast. The 127 LRX killed him stone dead one shot. Felt a little under gunned once the adrenaline wore off. Then darkness fell and butchering in the dark sucks especially when your hear limbs snap and your headlight illuminates a grizz, sure makes things exciting.

What caliber do you want to be holding?

As far as pistols go there are better than a stick, Phil Shoemaker (guide) killed a big brown bear with a 9mm while fishing. That being said no matter how big a pistol round is it will never have the velocity of a rifle round. Having been woken up by noise and loud sniffing checking it out with a 10mm in hand and shooting a black bear from the other side of the zipper is not fun. Definitely make you think twice about what you want in hand.

Good luck with whatever you purchase and on your hunt.
Whichever you can shoot the fastest and most accurate. Period.

A first shot with your 6.5 SAUM that hits the CNS is 100% better than a first shot with a cannon that takes out the willows behind the bear.

Out of curiosity, how have you personally trained to mimic getting dragged out of bag inside a tent, while asleep, and getting a first shot CNS hit? Any changes if hunting solo or in a group?

I asked because when I go hunt where there are brown bears I train to get a first shot CNS hit with my rifle for several scenarios but never in a tent nor multiple tents.

rope

FNG
Whichever you can shoot the fastest and most accurate. Period.

A first shot with your 6.5 SAUM that hits the CNS is 100% better than a first shot with a cannon that takes out the willows behind the bear.

Out of curiosity, how have you personally trained to mimic getting dragged out of bag inside a tent, while asleep, and getting a first shot CNS hit? Any changes if hunting solo or in a group?

I asked because when I go hunt where there are brown bears I train to get a first shot CNS hit with my rifle for several scenarios but never in a tent nor multiple tents.
Yes I have, use caution, safety concerns are paramount. On the ground, left & right side down (fetal), on belly and back. Honestly I think a CNS in this scenario will be a long shot, maybe shooting fur will make them let go. I forgot who told me, his girlfriend got dragged out of their tent when moose hunting. She didn’t get a shot off, he killed the bear. I hear about bear attacks way to much not to be prepared.

Yes I have, use caution, safety concerns are paramount. On the ground, left & right side down (fetal), on belly and back. Honestly I think a CNS in this scenario will be a long shot, maybe shooting fur will make them let go. I forgot who told me, his girlfriend got dragged out of their tent when moose hunting. She didn’t get a shot off, he killed the bear. I hear about bear attacks way to much not to be prepared.
No CNS then you’re likely in for a mauling. Just pray the bear doesn’t die while on top of you cause that would seriously suck.

The fact is it is safer to walk through grizzly country packing a moose quarter than walking through some urban centers in the US. Attacks do happen but they are rare especially considering the number of people in the woods. I’d wager a sizable percentage of “attacks” are actually false charges or people freaking out that there’s a bear nearby.

rope

FNG
No CNS then you’re likely in for a mauling. Just pray the bear doesn’t die while on top of you cause that would seriously suck.

The fact is it is safer to walk through grizzly country packing a moose quarter than walking through some urban centers in the US. Attacks do happen but they are rare especially considering the number of people in the woods. I’d wager a sizable percentage of “attacks” are actually false charges or people freaking out that there’s a bear nearby.
I didn’t mean not to try for CNS, the fact they are moving and the victim will be moving, difficult to say the least.

How many maulings/attacks do you hear happening here in Alaska? May be more than you think, in my area only bear attacks that make the news is when human death has occurred.

To me an attack and a charge afe two separate things, an attack is claws or teeth to human flesh. A charge is no blood drawn.

Jim2914

FNG
I have found if you are going to shoot the TTSX 150 and TTSX 168 factory ammo that for the 308 the 150 is the way to go. It appears the 168 in the TTSX design does not expand at 300 yards it had absolutely no expansion at all. I have tried this a few times and the results are pretty consistent.