450 Bushmaster Recoil

I have hunted and plan to continue to hunt in several Midwest states that allow straight wall cartridges during their firearm season. Currently I use a 50 caliber CVA Accura. I am leaning towards purchasing a 450 Bushmaster but have never shot one and nor do I know anyone who owns one to try.

I read a lot about its recoil and could add muzzle break but then deal with more muzzle blast. I own / have shot 3” and 3.5“ 12 gauge turkey loads, 3” rifle slugs (12 gauge), 30-06, 270, 25-06. Looking at recoil charts I’m thinking the bushmaster may be close to the 12 gauge or 06 but don’t know. Just wanted to know if someone who owns / shoots a 450 Bushmaster can give me an apple to apple comparison.

TN2shot07

WKR
I had one of the Ruger Americans with that short barrel and big brake. The rifle shot well but the noise was too much for me. I’d say you’re about right with the recoil, like an 06

OP
P
Asking about recoil since many articles talk about it. I’m 64 and shot all my life but as stated never fired one. Yes have thought about 350 but appears 450 has a little more knock down energy. However with that said any well placed bullet (350) is better than flinching worrying about recoil. Just wanted opinions / advice.

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Ruger American .450 Bushmaster to hunt with in Michigan. It is stainless with a 22 inch barrel, no muzzle brake. Shoots an inch at 100 yards and I don't think the recoil is bad at all. It's the rifle in my banner with a 2022 Michigan buck.

North61

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 450 Bushmaster Ruger with the brake. It is a pussy-cat to shoot. My then 13 year old was very skinny and shot it very well and took his first moose with it when he was 13. 1 shot and the 250 grain Flex-Tip was found under the off shoulder hide of a moose that didn't take a step from where he was hit. 21 foot pounds - 30% with the break = around 15 foot pounds or in the 6.5 Creedmoor area! About like a 25-06 without the brake.

Also..it shoots MOA... amazing little rifle.

Last edited:

deadi

Lil-Rokslider
Set up a short barreled Ruger in 450BM for my son. I removed the brake and installed the barrel cap. To me recoil off the bench was similar to a .308 and the noise was the usual.

OP
P
Thanks for those who responded. I think I’m going to go with a 450. Probably a CVA Cascade. Seems like a quality rifle foe the price and from what I’ve read, accurate.

I have one on an M4 platform. Recoil is surprisingly light. Accurate and fast double taps are easy to pull off. Carried it in Alaska in the boat or plane. It's hell on porcupines. Never shot a bear with it.

Have a 20" upper, recoil isn't bad at all, accuracy is pretty impressive. Report isn't terrible.

I haven't shot a bolt gun version, but any 12 ga I have hits harder with a magnum load. It's a long push, not sharp, but part of that I'm sure is the action it's in.

Rich M

WKR
You want to play w recoil? Shoot a turkey load off a bench. LoL! I can do that but flinch w 3006 due to using one for the last 40 years.

Bought a 350 Legend and love it.

If yer recpil sensitive, as i am, the legend is an easy 250 yard gun. Mine is a ruger american ranch and shoot 1/2 inch at 100, 1 inch at 200-250 w reloads. Easy to reload.

No need for .450 shotgun slug shooting rifle.