4th time was the charm

pdun24

FNG
Incredible! Congrats. There lots of newbies on here (myself included) that would be so happy to kill that spike!

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks everyone!

well done man! that's awesome!

how did the encounter go down? lets hear some details of your first archery bull. sounds like it was an awesome hunt for you. i hunt solo until i fill my tag, then go help and call with buddies.... i'm more effective on my own, and i like the solitude.

you solo by choice or necessity this year?

again, congrats! you did good!

It was solo by choice. I wanted to be able to do my own thing without consulting someone else. So I picked up a tag in a new zone late, less than a week before selling out.

I heard a quick bugle, which there almost none of as of yet. So I did some soft cow calls then moved up about 20 yards. Nothing, so I repeated. He finally bugled again but had moved away. I had forgotten my bugle tube at the camp so couldn't bugle. Probably better anyway /grin/. I was just about to move down toward the bugle when I caught a glimpse of the spike. He was looking right at me but, I was mostly covered by trees. So I let out a couple very soft mews as I moved to better cover. I could see through the trees he was interested and not spooked. He kept bobbing his head forward and back trying to get a look at the "cow" while moving forward a couple steps at a time. I anticipated him moving into about a 4 foot opening I had ranged at 34 yds. Sure enough, he just kept moving forward and looking for "her" and I was able to get the shot.
Unfortunately, he was slowly walking and I hesitated a split second and hit him in the right ham. I could see the arrow hanging out as he ran off. I was crushed and felt bad for him. I hate making a bad shot on animals. Fortunately when I found blood it was significant and I had some hope I got the femoral. I did but not fully. I tracked him for 517 yds per OnX and finally got a second arrow into him to end it. Not the way he should have died but, I feel fortunate that I didn't lose him altogether. The one positive was he moved toward the closed off logging road I used for access.
The pack out was about 300 feet elevation change in 228 yds per the OnX then down 1.5 miles of old logging road. Not super technical but far enough for me. I hauled all the scrap, loins, straps, and gear to the truck. Then went back with just my frame. I loaded the fronts on the frame, then became dumb. I decided I didn't want to climb back up so I carried the rears by hand down the mountain, using the achilles as a handle. Then muscled it back to camp. Not a great idea, my feet were killing me, as was my back, forearms, neck,... The only thing good were the legs, most likely due to rucking all summer.
There was another thread about people overestimating the weight of animals, quarters, etc. I guessed the fronts at 25-30 lbs each and the rears at 45-50. Actual scaled weights were 19 and 38, quite a bit less than I guessed. Of course the rears weighed close to 100 each by the time I got back to camp.:LOL:

Azone

WKR
Thanks everyone!

It was solo by choice. I wanted to be able to do my own thing without consulting someone else. So I picked up a tag in a new zone late, less than a week before selling out.

I heard a quick bugle, which there almost none of as of yet. So I did some soft cow calls then moved up about 20 yards. Nothing, so I repeated. He finally bugled again but had moved away. I had forgotten my bugle tube at the camp so couldn't bugle. Probably better anyway /grin/. I was just about to move down toward the bugle when I caught a glimpse of the spike. He was looking right at me but, I was mostly covered by trees. So I let out a couple very soft mews as I moved to better cover. I could see through the trees he was interested and not spooked. He kept bobbing his head forward and back trying to get a look at the "cow" while moving forward a couple steps at a time. I anticipated him moving into about a 4 foot opening I had ranged at 34 yds. Sure enough, he just kept moving forward and looking for "her" and I was able to get the shot.
Unfortunately, he was slowly walking and I hesitated a split second and hit him in the right ham. I could see the arrow hanging out as he ran off. I was crushed and felt bad for him. I hate making a bad shot on animals. Fortunately when I found blood it was significant and I had some hope I got the femoral. I did but not fully. I tracked him for 517 yds per OnX and finally got a second arrow into him to end it. Not the way he should have died but, I feel fortunate that I didn't lose him altogether. The one positive was he moved toward the closed off logging road I used for access.
The pack out was about 300 feet elevation change in 228 yds per the OnX then down 1.5 miles of old logging road. Not super technical but far enough for me. I hauled all the scrap, loins, straps, and gear to the truck. Then went back with just my frame. I loaded the fronts on the frame, then became dumb. I decided I didn't want to climb back up so I carried the rears by hand down the mountain, using the achilles as a handle. Then muscled it back to camp. Not a great idea, my feet were killing me, as was my back, forearms, neck,... The only thing good were the legs, most likely due to rucking all summer.
There was another thread about people overestimating the weight of animals, quarters, etc. I guessed the fronts at 25-30 lbs each and the rears at 45-50. Actual scaled weights were 19 and 38, quite a bit less than I guessed. Of course the rears weighed close to 100 each by the time I got back to camp.:LOL:
Shitty shots happen man, good on you for finding and finishing him. I bet that tenderloin taste F’n amazing doing it solo. 🍻

Thanks everyone!

great write up, thanks! glad you got him. things don't always go textbook, bad shots happen, and it's great when the bad shots end up ok in the end.... we get to learn all of the lessons of losing an elk without losing an elk... real world experience is the only way to really understand certain things.

sounds like a great hunt you won't ever forget.... again, nice job all around!

87TT

WKR
Good deal. I shot a spike/fork last year solo too. 1.5 mile pack out in the dark. Took three trips with the EXO. Try it at 66.

Congrats! Can really appreciate the honesty in how the story went down. Alot of guys leave those details out.... Persistence kills the bull. Way to keep after it!!

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Shitty shots happen man, good on you for finding and finishing him. I bet that tenderloin taste F’n amazing doing it solo. 🍻
It was, along with the heart!
Congrats! That is truly awesome!
I leave Friday for my second attempt at elk. Hope I can follow your lead!
Good luck!
Good deal. I shot a spike/fork last year solo too. 1.5 mile pack out in the dark. Took three trips with the EXO. Try it at 66.
Hope I can still be doing it at 66! Nice work!

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! The bad shot thing is a soul crusher (ask me how I know) glad you were able to find him and get it done! I would be ecstatic to get an opportunity on a spike this year!

Anyone can make a bad shot, not everyone would stick to the tracking job you did (y). Great job !!!
can be anything at any point in your hunting career too... a little limb in a dark patch of timber... of course elk moving (they can move enough to make a bad shot at close range too) and a long list of other factors.

none of us are immune from bad shots. in theory it gets better with experience, but that too is a false sense of security. those long roles we may get on (years in a row of easy track jobs) can abruptly change.

having the fortitude to not give up is always necessary chasing elk, they are hard to kill with bad shots. all we can do is become and stay familiar with our bows, pick our shots (DO NOT shoot is desperation ever, or feel like getting an arrow into one is all you need to do)

it is very dejecting when we shoot all year, feel 100% prepared, and still make a bad shot.... but it can happen. unfortunately the bad shots are usually the ones that teach us the most, every one makes us better, but it's sure rough in real time.... especially trying to piece it all together by yourself.

Rob made it happen, and gained a lot of experience in one single encounter, and the first one is the hardest.

Rob, i killed my first elk on my 4th season too, then went 15 in a row until last year when i hunted a recurve and missed 4 slam dunks, back on the winning board this year..... you got the hardest elk to kill out of the way.... never gets "easy" but it gets easier

Toothy12

FNG
Congrats buddy, I’m into my 4th year as well. Have assisted in several other successful hunts but have yet to kill one on my own. Hunting solo this year and hoping the plan comes together! Congrats again on an awesome bull